Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions My M340i test drive

05-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

My M340i test drive

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi,

Yesterday, I had quite a bit of time with an M340i. I will probably order a new car by EOY, and this car is at top of my list right now.

It was:
Portimao blue & Cognac & Open Pore Maple
Executive package
Driver Assistance Package
Standalone options: Wireless car charger, HK speakers, remote engine start, power tailgate.
Didn't have Adaptive M suspension.

Exterior design:

I still find 330i design a little better - as it's not as busy. However, I kind of appreciate the differentiation between 330i and M340i. The car looks like a modernized baby 5 series, and I think it's much better looking than F30 and E90 from every angle. It's the kind of design that looks much better in person, as it's very modern and startling.

Interior design & fit and finish:

A huge improvement over F30... However, as expected, material quality isn't as good as G30. The side pockets inside the doors are hard plastic unlike G30. The fit feels solid, and the design is much better than F30. I would say, design-wise it feels more modern than G30. The one thing that's bothering me is the little LCD by the air vents where you see the set temperature. Why does it still look like an old Casio watch? Considering everything else are super futuristic, I think that screen comes up like a sore thumb. Also, I don't like the new instrument cluster very much, I wish there was a way to put classic dials in there. I was expecting BMW to ditch the instrument cluster for the head up display at some point in the near future, but considering they did this entire redesign now, I guess that future is much further than I hoped for. The seats are great, the vernasca leather is a tad better than dakota so I appreciate the change, and new open pore wood trim is so nice and modern, that it made me consider ordering a car with a wood trim for the first time ever. Also, I feel kind of too limited in my trim/upholstery choices because I love portimao blue, but it looks like the only 2 upholstery colors that go with portimao blue are black and ivory white. I have a 3 year old, so to me, probably, ivory is not an option... I'm left with only one upholstry option (black with blue stiching). In addition, I think the black interior doesn't work at all with wood trims, so I'm just left with the option of two alum trims. Oh well. First world problems.

Driving experience:

This is where this car shines. The engine feels great, sounds great; the steering is heavy, sharp; the standard M Sport suspension is perfect, and the performance is great.
Let me elaborate:

Engine: This engine is perfect. I was expecting it to feel like my 540i with a little bit of extra oomph, but it feels more different than that. Especially in sport plus mode, the sound and burbles are great, even better than my old F82 M4. (Not louder, just better tone-wise). It's way louder than 540i in sport plus mode, but in comfort mode I think it feels closer to 540i - both in terms of character and sound. It has the smoothness of 540i, performance of M3 (almost), sounds better than both, and is more efficient than both. In my taste, it's the best of the three.

Steering: The steering heavy, to the point that I can say it might be too heavy for commuting & city driving. Comfort mode setting on M340i is heavier than 540i sport setting. In addition to being heavy, it's fast and very sharp. It's perfect in most conditions, but I wish there was 3 options like M cars, so that they could make Comfort mode steering softer. Oh well, that's not a biggie.

Suspension/Comfort: The standard M Sport suspension is stiff, it gives you the feel of the road as it should, but it's still capable of soaking bumps. It feels very much balanced and stiff, doesn't float at all, so I was very pleasantly surprised when I was driving over bumpy roads, as it was soaking up the bumps nicely.
But I would get the M adaptive suspension, because I live in Boston area. One last thing is that it has less road noise than F30, and it's quieter overall in comfort mode.

How would I order it?

For sure:
- Portimao Blue
- Driving Assistance Plus Package (MA traffic makes it an absolute necessisty)
- Premium Package
- HK Sound
- M Adaptive suspension (MA roads and 3 year old in the back)
- Remote start
- Wireless charging
- Power Tailgate

Not sure:
- Leather & Trim (Probably black w/blue stiching and Alum mesh as I mentioned, but not sure... Could go individual with two tones blue-black seats but... I don't know)
- Executive package. ($2100 for the shape of the lights - and gesture control... Trying to justify it but still can't)
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 05-24-2019 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 4
      05-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Hi,

Yesterday, I had quite a bit of time with an M340i. I will probably order a new car by EOY, so I drive it as a potential buyer.

It was:
Execuitve package
Standalone options: Wireless car charger, HK speakers, remote engine start, power tailgate.

Exterior design:

I still find 330i design a little better - as it's not as busy. However, I kind of appreciate the differentiation between 330i and M340i. The car looks like a modernized baby 5 series, and I think it's much better looking than F30 and E90 from every angle. It's the kind of design that looks much better in person, as it's very modern and startling.

A huge improvement over F30... However, as expected, material quality isn't as good as G30. The side pockets inside the doors are hard plastic unlike G30. The fit feels solid, and the design is much better than F30. I would say, design-wise it feels more modern than G30. The one thing that's bothering me is the little LCD by the air vents where you see the set temperature. Why does it still look like an old Casio watch? Considering everything else are super futuristic, I think that screen comes up like a sore thumb. Also, I don't like the new instrument cluster very much, I wish there was a way to put classic dials in there. I was expecting BMW to ditch the instrument cluster for the head up display at some point in the near future, but considering they did this entire redesign now, I guess that future is much further than I hoped for. The seats are great, the vernasca leather is a tad better than dakota so I appreciate the change, and new open pore wood trim is so nice and modern, that it made me consider ordering a car with a wood trim for the first time ever. Also, I feel kind of too limited in my trim/upholstery choices because I love portimao blue, but it looks like the only 2 upholstery colors that go with portimao blue are black and ivory white. I have a 3 year old, so to me, probably, ivory is not an option... I'm left with only one upholstry option (black with blue stiching). In addition, I think the black interior doesn't work at all with wood trims, so I'm just left with the option of two alum trims. Oh well. First world problems.

Driving experience:

This is where this car shines. The engine feels great, sounds great; the steering is heavy, sharp; the standard M Sport suspension is perfect, and the performance is..
Let me elaborate:

Engine: This engine is perfect. I was expecting it to feel like my 540i with a little bit of extra oomph, but it feels more different than that. Especially in sport plus mode, the sound and burbles are great, even better than my old F82 M4. (Not louder, just better tone-wise). It's way louder than 540i in sport plus mode, but in comfort mode I think it feels closer to 540i - both in terms of character and sound. It has the smoothness of 5 series, performance of M3 (almost), and sounds better than both, and more efficient than both. In my taste, it's the best of the three.

Steering: The steering heavy, to the point that I can say it might be too heavy for commuting & city driving. Comfort mode setting on M340i is heavier than 540i sport setting. In addition to being heavy, it's fast and very sharp. It's perfect in most conditions, but I wish there was 3 options like M cars, so that they could make Comfort mode steering softer. Oh well, that's not a biggie.

Suspension/Comfort: The standard M Sport suspension is stiff, it gives you the feel of the road as it should, but it's still capable of soaking bumps. It feels very much balanced and stiff, doesn't float at all, so I was very pleasantly surprised when I was driving over bumpy roads, as it was soaking up the bumps nicely.
But I would get the M adaptive suspension, because I live in Boston area. One last thing is that it has less road noise than F30, and it's quieter overall in comfort mode.

How would I order it?

For sure:
- Portimao Blue
- Premium Package
- HK Sound
- Remote start
- Wireless charging
- Power Tailgate

Not sure:
- Leather & Trim (Probably black w/blue stiching and Alum mesh as I mentioned, but not sure... Could go individual with two tones blue-black seats but... I don't know)
- Executive package. ($2100 for the shape of the lights - and gesture control... Trying to justify it but still can't)
Good write up!

Are you sure about Portimao blue? That color is going to be showing up everywhere.

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Good write up!

Are you sure about Portimao blue? That color is going to be showing up everywhere.
I hadn't seen Portimao Blue on the road until yesterday it looks quite good on the road very eye catching. I'm regretting a bit I didn't go for this color instead of MG which looks kind of bland and boring in certain light.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
dhruvgarg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C400

Quote:
Hi,

Yesterday, I had quite a bit of time with an M340i. I will probably order a new car by EOY, and this car is at top of my list right now.

It was:
Executive package

Exterior design:

Driving experience:

This is where this car shines. The engine feels great, sounds great; the steering is heavy, sharp; the standard M Sport suspension is perfect, and the performance is great.
Let me elaborate:

Engine: This engine is perfect. I was expecting it to feel like my 540i with a little bit of extra oomph, but it feels more different than that. Especially in sport plus mode, the sound and burbles are great, even better than my old F82 M4. (Not louder, just better tone-wise). It's way louder than 540i in sport plus mode, but in comfort mode I think it feels closer to 540i - both in terms of character and sound. It has the smoothness of 540i, performance of M3 (almost), sounds better than both, and is more efficient than both. In my taste, it's the best of the three.

How would I order it?

For sure:
- Portimao Blue
- Premium Package
- HK Sound
- Remote start
- Wireless charging
- Power Tailgate

Not sure:

thanks for the great writeup! How was the level of cabin/road noise compared to a 540i?
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvgarg View Post
thanks for the great writeup! How was the level of cabin/road noise compared to a 540i?
Thank you for reading it! I think the road noise slightly more, but you might not even notice it, except maybe because of the stiffer suspension, you hear the potholes a little more. I'm pretty sure if you get the 18"s with non-RFs, it would be quieter than my Sport 540i with 19"s and run flats! On the other hand, engine is noticeable louder in sport mode, and slightly louder in comfort mode.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      05-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
dhruvgarg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for reading it! I think the road noise slightly more, but you might not even notice it, except maybe because of the stiffer suspension, you hear the potholes a little more. I'm pretty sure if you get the 18"s with non-RFs, it would be quieter than my Sport 540i with 19"s and run flats! On the other hand, engine is noticeable louder in sport mode, and slightly louder in comfort mode.
Thanks for responding! I'm okay with the louder engine noise. Yes, non-runflats especially Michelin Sport 4s make a massive improvement in terms of road noise and I will order it with Michelins only.

I'm conflicted on getting a 540i vs M340i, heading for a test drive tomorrow. I'm more inclined to get M340i as its just gorgeous and the power is just ridiculous!
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Good write up and I agree with pretty much everything after getting out of my second xDrive test drive this morning. First car had adaptive suspension and this car had M sport fixed. It was noticeably stiffer than comfort on adaptive but still fine by my standards. I would say about like "normal" (middle) in my E92 M3 with EDC.

Speaking of E92 M3, the M340i is very similar IMO, except of course noise, RWD, and a smidge of turbo lag. Nothing can compare to throttle response and sounds from the S65 but I was not disappointed with the driving dynamics of the M340i and I think it is a great replacement for the 4th gen M3. This 3er handles very very well with steering that does not make me want for hydraulic and a front end that is much more F80 than E92M. My CA let me basically do whatever so I took it to 115 which it handled like a champ with no wander or vaguery. It's very pinned down and solid like my E92.

So yeah I'm going to get one and go for Tanzanite over oyster with oak open pore. Just got to find the right price but this is a special car and I can't imagine what the G80 is going to be like.
Appreciate 5
BigSky702687.00
BimmerFix1384.50
Ilyam5890.00
      05-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for responding! I'm okay with the louder engine noise. Yes, non-runflats especially Michelin Sport 4s make a massive improvement in terms of road noise and I will order it with Michelins only.

I'm conflicted on getting a 540i vs M340i, heading for a test drive tomorrow. I'm more inclined to get M340i as its just gorgeous and the power is just ridiculous!
Between the two:

540i: More luxurious feel, smoother and quieter, better quality feel, better highway cruiser.
M340i: Faster, sportier, more exciting to drive, sounds better, more modern, better on the back roads.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
Transfer
Major General
Rep

For options the wife and I sat in a bunch of cars and saw quite a few of the differences. Black with blue stitching is super well done and I wouldn't hesitate to get that if one wants a black interior. The aluminum tetragon is cheap looking and plasticky, not even sure it's aluminum. The open pore woods are excellent with option for black or brown.

The exec pack is important to me mostly for the appearance of the lights but it does include 3D surround view with parking assist plus I believe so that adds some good value IMO. I'm not totally clear on that but I think you have to have the cameras for the PA+ which is part of exec. Gesture control is ok but certainly not an important option.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I have 540 as well, my wife definitely on the prefer comfort spectrum (and we have a 2 years old), if I was to order myself would probably just wait for the new M440 to come out (assuming if they have M340 they would have M440 as well)

Edit: and how is iDrive 6 vs 7?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
dhruvgarg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Between the two:

540i: More luxurious feel, smoother and quieter, better quality feel, better highway cruiser.
M340i: Faster, sportier, more exciting to drive, sounds better, more modern, better on the back roads.
thanks for the insight!! I'm already leaning towards M340 based on your description.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #12
dhruvgarg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Test drove both 540i and M340i , i also decided to go with M340i. Cortexiphan's writeup is quite accurate.

Only thing I would like to add is that the base runflat tires felt ordinary. M340i felt a little wobbly on hard acceleration as the tires kept losing traction. There is just tooo much explosive power unleashed to put on the ground. Hence, I would definitely get it will performance tires (non-runflats for me).

Interior noise was quite low, it was much better than my Mercedes C400!

Harman Kardon stereo was an absolute gem as well! Hoping that the dealer will agree to my ask of 10% off from MSRP.
Appreciate 3
      05-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #13
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Good write up and I agree with pretty much everything after getting out of my second xDrive test drive this morning. First car had adaptive suspension and this car had M sport fixed. It was noticeably stiffer than comfort on adaptive but still fine by my standards. I would say about like "normal" (middle) in my E92 M3 with EDC.

Speaking of E92 M3, the M340i is very similar IMO, except of course noise, RWD, and a smidge of turbo lag. Nothing can compare to throttle response and sounds from the S65 but I was not disappointed with the driving dynamics of the M340i and I think it is a great replacement for the 4th gen M3. This 3er handles very very well with steering that does not make me want for hydraulic and a front end that is much more F80 than E92M. My CA let me basically do whatever so I took it to 115 which it handled like a champ with no wander or vaguery. It's very pinned down and solid like my E92.

So yeah I'm going to get one and go for Tanzanite over oyster with oak open pore. Just got to find the right price but this is a special car and I can't imagine what the G80 is going to be like.
Great analysis bro, made my decision of skipping M adaptive suspension a good choice. I guess if you wanted the sportiest ride without compromising anything, M sport passive is the way to go.
      05-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #14
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFix View Post
Quote:

Great analysis bro, made my decision of skipping M adaptive suspension a good choice. I guess if you wanted the sportiest ride without compromising anything, M sport passive is the way to go.
He said the fixed suspension was noticeably stiffer than the adaptive m-sport suspension when it was set to comfort mode.

That's the whole point of the adaptive suspension. You can have a very comfortable and smooth ride in comfort mode, and with one press of the sport button the suspension tightens up significantly.

I'm curious to hear a review comparing the performance of the fixed suspension against the performance of the adaptive suspension when set to sport+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:08 AM   #15
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
He said the fixed suspension was noticeably stiffer than the adaptive m-sport suspension when it was set to comfort mode.

That's the whole point of the adaptive suspension. You can have a very comfortable and smooth ride in comfort mode, and with one press of the sport button the suspension tightens up significantly.

I'm curious to hear a review comparing the performance of the fixed suspension against the performance of the adaptive suspension when set to sport+ mode.
I'm not looking for comfort. Just the sportiest possible setup at all times. History and logic says passive M suspension is the way to go if you want the best handling configuration. Maybe Transfer can shed some more light
      05-26-2019, 12:23 AM   #16
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not looking for comfort. Just the sportiest possible setup at all times. History and logic says passive M suspension is the way to go if you want the best handling configuration. Maybe Transfer can shed some more light
Yes I would agree with this. If you want a static sport suspension the standard kit is very good. Maybe a touch stiff for some but I feel it would be quite liveable and handles great. Personally I want the option to make it softer so will get adaptive. I'm not sure if sport+ adaptive is much stiffer than fixed m-sport; I would need to do side by side.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #17
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I would agree with this. If you want a static sport suspension the standard kit is very good. Maybe a touch stiff for some but I feel it would be quite liveable and handles great. Personally I want the option to make it softer so will get adaptive. I'm not sure if sport+ adaptive is much stiffer than fixed m-sport; I would need to do side by side.
Any idea about the exhaust flaps? With adaptive m-suspension the flaps are closed in comfort mode and the car quiets down. Do you know if the flaps are wide open 100% of the time with the fixed m-sport suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #18
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Any idea about the exhaust flaps? With adaptive m-suspension the flaps are closed in comfort mode and the car quiets down. Do you know if the flaps are wide open 100% of the time with the fixed m-sport suspension?
The exhaust has nothing to do with suspension. The behavior is the same regardless of how you equip suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i TB II

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:

I was having the same problem. I test drove them back to back and I am going with the M340i. The power is just crazy on it. Plus the 5 is really big.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #20
dhruvgarg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaMobile View Post
I was having the same problem. I test drove them back to back and I am going with the M340i. The power is just crazy on it. Plus the 5 is really big.
Yep, the power on M340i makes it an easy decision The steering is nice and stiff as well compared to 540.

Only thing I didn't like on the M340i is the lane change warning - it was too invasive and fighting my hands on the steering wheel. It is possible to keep it switched off so not a deal breaker.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #21
meddlemaker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i / 2016 328i

Quote:
Yep, the power on M340i makes it an easy decision The steering is nice and stiff as well compared to 540.

Only thing I didn't like on the M340i is the lane change warning - it was too invasive and fighting my hands on the steering wheel. It is possible to keep it switched off so not a deal breaker.
Yes, you can turn off the lane keep assist. I just picked my M340i up a few days ago and at first didn't like the lane keep assist taking control of the steering. After a few trips, it grew on me. It really keeps me on my toes and prevents drifting to the other lane. If you change lanes without signalling it will do it, though, so you need to use your blinker. It's something we should be doing anyway.

Overall I have found the driving assistance features pretty helpful. I have not tried the auto parking yet or the traffic jam assistant (haven't been in stop and go traffic yet).

The User Manual for the car is pretty paltry in terms of tech features, and it doesn't explain things well. I am tech savvy and don't usually need to deal with the Tech Advisors that BMW offers, and have never accepted an "encore" invitation to come back another day for more Q&A. I might actually do it this time because the tech features are plentiful and the manuals suck.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #22
dhruvgarg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlemaker View Post
Yes, you can turn off the lane keep assist. I just picked my M340i up a few days ago and at first didn't like the lane keep assist taking control of the steering. After a few trips, it grew on me. It really keeps me on my toes and prevents drifting to the other lane. If you change lanes without signalling it will do it, though, so you need to use your blinker. It's something we should be doing anyway.

Overall I have found the driving assistance features pretty helpful. I have not tried the auto parking yet or the traffic jam assistant (haven't been in stop and go traffic yet).

The User Manual for the car is pretty paltry in terms of tech features, and it doesn't explain things well. I am tech savvy and don't usually need to deal with the Tech Advisors that BMW offers, and have never accepted an "encore" invitation to come back another day for more Q&A. I might actually do it this time because the tech features are plentiful and the manuals suck.
Ah , thanks for the insight!! Yes, I wasn't using the blinkers and now I see why lane keeping assist was kicking in. Now that I think about it, this feature worked very well.

I was intentionally trying to drive right over the lane stripes to see how the suspension absorbs those metal bumps. I was satisfied with the performance of the passive M-sport suspension, was stiff but not rough at all. Felt lot better than my C400 (which feels too stiff and cheap in comparison to BMW)
Appreciate 0