Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Chip issue -advice please!

10-26-2021, 02:59 AM   #1
Carlos s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Chip issue -advice please!

No, not the microchip shortage this time, my car actually has too many chips on it My new factory- build M340i came last Thursday via transporter delivery- only for me to find a small chip in the paint. Hon further inspection, also found an area where looks like a mark on the bumper was rubbed out and left lots of swirl marks. Inside, smudges on the trim around the vents, and just generally a bit dusty.
Also rubber trim on drivers door had some sort of white coating / residue, not sure it would wash off or if it is bad rubber. Some small mud splashes on lower bumper corner

All in all, far from showroom condition

Small mark in the leather. Doesn't look like natural leather "imperfection", looks like an indent caused by something.

Called dealer, was hugely apologetic and asked me to refuse delivery. Very inconvenient as new baby due in just a few days and really looking to have 4 door car (f32 is a pain to get baby in and out of). Already arranged insurance and now paying on 2 cars, also delayed selling of existing car

On the day, Dealer said it would be about a week to address all issues, haven't heard back from them yet.

I've let them know I wasn't pleased but wanted to get advice on here - should I be asking for anything of them? Not that I feel entitled, but this has been a mess, far below standard for a factory build. Also V5C arrived with registration date of last week. Does that mean I'm paying vehicle tax as of then?

Not trying to be smart / necessarily get anything from this, but fair and know options, get advice.

Also including a few full pics of the car, really lovely and can't wait till she's back!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:17 AM   #2
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

It's not very good but all fixable and I'd expect the dealer to put right and minimise your inconvenience. However, you'll get the usual hysterical posters in situations like these who will say the dealer should give you a million pounds, shoot himself, give you the car for free and so-on.

I think the dealer should offer something to smooth things over - asking for something like a service credit would seem fair enough as it doesn't cost them a great deal but a nice saving for you, when the time comes.

Lovely car, btw.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 03:30 AM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Agreed, most of that will polish out. The indent in the leather will be least of your worries when you see what a car seat does.... And a bit of dirt on lower panels from loading in a gravel car park is just life. If you had collected it would be a lot dirtier than that when it got home!

A service credit would be nice, as you will be running down your first year road tax from date of registration....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:46 AM   #4
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xdrive, G22M440i xdri

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
It's not very good but all fixable and I'd expect the dealer to put right and minimise your inconvenience. However, you'll get the usual hysterical posters in situations like these who will say the dealer should give you a million pounds, shoot himself, give you the car for free and so-on.

As well as a service credit, they should probably give you something nice to drive around in until these minor defects are fixed
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:49 AM   #5
BennyDunks
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Mine got delivered last month and it had a stone chip on the front and a couple of minor scratches on the front as well. I emailed the dealer and they arranged for my car to be collected and fixed and also dropped me off a brand new 530e whilst they were fixing it took 3 days.

As above I think you can 100% expect to rectify and get them to give you a loaner / demo cars.

Side note, my Mrs got a new A-class a couple of years ago, she went to pick it up by herself drove off in it got home and I informed her the car was a diesel, and she'd ordered a petrol - turns out someone at the dealership put the wrong plates on the car 😂 they gave her a load of Mercedes accessories and paid for us to go out for dinner to say sorry without us asking!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:49 AM   #6
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340D touring Oxide grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos s View Post
No, not the microchip shortage this time, my car actually has too many chips on it My new factory- build M340i came last Thursday via transporter delivery- only for me to find a small chip in the paint. Hon further inspection, also found an area where looks like a mark on the bumper was rubbed out and left lots of swirl marks. Inside, smudges on the trim around the vents, and just generally a bit dusty.
Also rubber trim on drivers door had some sort of white coating / residue, not sure it would wash off or if it is bad rubber. Some small mud splashes on lower bumper corner

Small mark in the leather. Doesn't look like natural leather "imperfection", looks like an indent caused by something.

Called dealer, was hugely apologetic and asked me to refuse delivery. Very inconvenient as new baby due in just a few days and really looking to have 4 door car (f32 is a pain to get baby in and out of). Already arranged insurance and now paying on 2 cars, also delayed selling of existing car

On the day, Dealer said it would be about a week to address all issues, haven't heard back from them yet.

I've let them know I wasn't pleased but wanted to get advice on here - should I be asking for anything of them? Not that I feel entitled, but this has been a mess, far below standard for a factory build. Also V5C arrived with registration date of last week. Does that mean I'm paying vehicle tax as of then?

Not trying to be smart / necessarily get anything from this, but fair and know options, get advice.

Also including a few full pics of the car, really lovely and can't wait till she's back!
Nice looking car but i would be disappointed also with finding the issues you have highlighted.
Delivery by transporter. Do you mean delivery to dealer or delivery to you directly?
If it was too the dealer then you should absolutely raise issues with them, ideally on the day before driving of forecourt.
No dealer doing a hand over should give you a car in that condition and most dealers would go out of their way to resolve issues rather than suggest refusing car.
Hope you get a resolution
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #7
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

For me, the paint chips need to be rectified by the body shop, but I'd be asking to have the whole car professionally detailed…I'd not be letting the valeters BMW use anywhere near my car with a machine polisher
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
Kano
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Upsetting receiving your new motor like that.

Justifies appropriate reconciliation. Service credit and ask them to give you a free ceramic coat.

Upon collection of mine from the dealer, I noticed a small scratch where they had fitted the CF rear spoiler.

The dealership have its own body shop so it was buffed out and the boot lid ceramic coated again.

Maybe not the best compensation but I got a good deal to begin with so I accepted the speed camera upgrade for 2yrs and a new detailing kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:53 AM   #9
Carlos s
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish0177 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos s View Post

Nice looking car but i would be disappointed also with finding the issues you have highlighted.
Delivery by transporter. Do you mean delivery to dealer or delivery to you directly?
If it was too the dealer then you should absolutely raise issues with them, ideally on the day before driving of forecourt.
No dealer doing a hand over should give you a car in that condition and most dealers would go out of their way to resolve issues rather than suggest refusing car.
Hope you get a resolution
Yes, it was transporter delivery directly to me, since it was bought through Park Lane's group supplier program and that is how they deliver all their cars. I did it the same way for my f32m and ir was impecable, night and day difference - I'd actually think they skipped the PDI altogether.

Park Lane advises that I'd anything at all is wrong with the car you should refuse delivery- once you accepts they don't take responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:59 AM   #10
Carlos s
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post

I think the dealer should offer something to smooth things over - asking for something like a service credit would seem fair enough as it doesn't cost them a great deal but a nice saving for you, when the time comes.

Lovely car, btw.
Thank you all for your balanced and realistic views on this, very helpful! Sorry I've delayed, our little baby (human, not car!) has arrived and taken priority over everything!

I don't expect much, other than for it to be rectified well and promptly, and not to be out of pocket. It is a major inconvenience, and disappointment.

They day after I refused the person at BMW said they'd get in touch with me on Monday. So far nothing. V5C arrived indicated im paying tax already

Will chase then up today, and leaving it up to then how they "make this right" with me, but if they don't offer anything, will push for service credit.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 04:57 AM   #11
user1811
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

It almost looks like it's been driven around a bit. And not very carefully at that. How can this happen when the car is brand new?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #12
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340D touring Oxide grey

How many miles were on the car when it was delivered.

No idea what happens with Park lanes process, but I agree that the car looks to have been unsympathetically driven around by someone who has pressed various buttons and mucked about with vents.

Is there not a process for accepting the car once of transporter and did Park lane not make you aware of what this is. Surely the transporter driver must have to get you to sign for receivership and that you are happy with car, ie the same as a hire car form where you mark down dents, scrapes chips etc before you drive away.

I would say if ordered through Park lane they must still have a duty to you as a customer, if nothing else then to investigate.

Let everyone know what happens

Stunning car though so good luck getting things sorted out. Getting a new car meant to be exciting not stressful

Who does the PDI on the car, put on number plates etc
Appreciate 0