Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Android Auto

01-22-2023, 02:52 PM   #177
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherzero9 View Post
Still trying to get mine to work, android auto does not appear in my app list.

2020 M340i, Bought the car a week ago. Brought into dealer for recall work on Friday.

They updated idrive from 2019 to 11/2022.44. When navigating to my apps I only see Carplay. My phone (s22 Ultra) shows the car as "wireless android auto available" under android auto page. My phone is paired via bluetooth with all permissions enabled. I have tried:

- Resetting idrive by holding in volume for 30sec
- Refreshing app list via hitting options button
- Driving for 30min then turning off car

Is there something else I can try or am I stuck waiting for something else to be pushed to my car?
Android Auto in our cars works wirelessly. Go into Android Auto settings and make sure "Wireless Android Auto" is turned on. Here's a video that might help you also.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 06:54 PM   #178
cipherzero9
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive, Corvette C8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone1008 View Post
Android Auto in our cars works wirelessly. Go into Android Auto settings and make sure "Wireless Android Auto" is turned on. Here's a video that might help you also.

I confirmed wireless is enabled, it seems the app missing from the car app page is the key link causing me to not be able to use android auto. So trying to figure out how to get it to appear.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 04:05 AM   #179
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I confirmed wireless is enabled, it seems the app missing from the car app page is the key link causing me to not be able to use android auto. So trying to figure out how to get it to appear.
The app is missing because it's not connecting. Unlike Carplay that you see even if not connected, Android Auto doesn't show up until your phone connects to your car both wifi and bluetooth. Did you watch the video?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 03:44 PM   #180
cipherzero9
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone1008 View Post
The app is missing because it's not connecting. Unlike Carplay that you see even if not connected, Android Auto doesn't show up until your phone connects to your car both wifi and bluetooth. Did you watch the video?
Yes, I have seen this video before. I am very familiar with using wireless android auto in other cars. I'll walk you through what happens at the moment for the BMW:

1. I get in the car and turn it on
2. My phone successfully pairs via bluetooth to the car and my phone screen will say "searching for android auto" for a few seconds before going away.
3. Nothing happens on the idrive screen
4. If I go to the apps page on idrive (like the video instructs) there is NO android auto app.

I've checked:
1. Android auto is enabled on phone (see above) and wireless is enabled. Wifi is turned on phone as well.
2. Phone shows as connected on idrive for wifi and bluetooth.
3. After checking android auto on phone (I am aware it is built in, no dedicated app) the options page indicates it found my BMW and that "wireless android auto is available"

Following the video, I come to a stop at 30 seconds since I do not see the android auto app in my idrive.

Update: I called BMW genius line, after them walking me through the same steps I did before, they concluded I need to go back into the dealer to get them to look at either redoing the update or something else. Will update after I visit hopefully sometime next week.

I've attached 2 images below.

Last edited by cipherzero9; 01-23-2023 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 02:10 PM   #181
Blazin65
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

New to the forum and new to BMW. I bought a 2021 BMW 330i last week.

One of the major reasons I bought a 2021 is because through my research I heard that Android Auto was only available on 2021 and not prior.

So now I'm beginning to wonder if I could have bought a 2019 or 2020, and got BMW to update the radio (probably expensive since I didn't buy it there)

Seems confusing. But oh well. What's done is done.

Last edited by Blazin65; 01-26-2023 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 09:53 AM   #182
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Following the video, I come to a stop at 30 seconds since I do not see the android auto app in my idrive.

Update: I called BMW genius line, after them walking me through the same steps I did before, they concluded I need to go back into the dealer to get them to look at either redoing the update or something else. Will update after I visit hopefully sometime next week.
Had the same exact problem. Your dealer is not going to know WTF to do with this (mine did not), and is likely going to try to gaslight you (i.e. maybe it's your phone, I googled it and other people on the internet have problems with samsungs, etc.)

The dirty secret is that Android Auto / Carplay capability IS REMOTELY ACTIVATED like any other paid feature (e.g. drive recorder), because they wanted to sell it as a monthly subscription (and still do?) in some parts of the world. Either way, mine somehow got stuck to "off". Your car periodically checks to see if that bit is enabled remotely for your car. Either way, symptoms looked exactly like yours. Phone thought the car should have android auto, kept trying to connect to the headunit but android auto option never showed up on the car.

Post a photo of the apps screen on your car. The other symptom(s) on mine was that all of the other (non-default) apps disappeared. Which is how I got my dealer to finally stop bullshitting me. I was like "we can go to any other car on this lot and see that my car has less available apps than that identical car". ALSO, I was not able to purchase any addons (e.g. drive-recorder, re-light/traffic camera info, etc.) on the website. It just said that I had already purchased everything available for my car, which was not the case.

You need to open a ticket with ConnectedDrive and have it elevated to the top tier. Took over a month to resolve, but the instant I got the "ticket resolved" e-mail, android auto magically started working on my car. Problem was 100% remote on their backend.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 09:58 AM   #183
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
One of the major reasons I bought a 2021 is because through my research I heard that Android Auto was only available on 2021 and not prior.
My 2020 m340xi has android auto.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 04:31 PM   #184
cipherzero9
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz17 View Post
Had the same exact problem. Your dealer is not going to know WTF to do with this (mine did not), and is likely going to try to gaslight you (i.e. maybe it's your phone, I googled it and other people on the internet have problems with samsungs, etc.)

The dirty secret is that Android Auto / Carplay capability IS REMOTELY ACTIVATED like any other paid feature (e.g. drive recorder), because they wanted to sell it as a monthly subscription (and still do?) in some parts of the world. Either way, mine somehow got stuck to "off". Your car periodically checks to see if that bit is enabled remotely for your car. Either way, symptoms looked exactly like yours. Phone thought the car should have android auto, kept trying to connect to the headunit but android auto option never showed up on the car.

Post a photo of the apps screen on your car. The other symptom(s) on mine was that all of the other (non-default) apps disappeared. Which is how I got my dealer to finally stop bullshitting me. I was like "we can go to any other car on this lot and see that my car has less available apps than that identical car". ALSO, I was not able to purchase any addons (e.g. drive-recorder, re-light/traffic camera info, etc.) on the website. It just said that I had already purchased everything available for my car, which was not the case.

You need to open a ticket with ConnectedDrive and have it elevated to the top tier. Took over a month to resolve, but the instant I got the "ticket resolved" e-mail, android auto magically started working on my car. Problem was 100% remote on their backend.
Thanks for this. I'm going to email ConnectedDrive with pictures in hopes of getting the same resolution as you. I figured it had to be something on the remote end, and would rather avoid sitting at the dealer another 2 hours or more. I also tried adding traffic camera feature on the website just to try and it gives me an error every time I try to add it. Here is a shot of my apps page, does it look like I'm missing stuff like yours was? (to use as evidence with ticket)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 08:27 PM   #185
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this.
As I suspected. 500% the EXACT same symptoms that I had. For reference, this is what my app screen looks like now (two pages). The remaining apps showed up the instant they "fixed" my android auto remotely, and I was obviously then able to also purchased traffic camera info and drive recorder.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-01-2023, 06:20 PM   #186
cipherzero9
Rep

Well, great news! I now have android auto

I spoke with customer support at connected drive yesterday morning, they then formally submitted a ticket. Today around noon android auto was working immediately upon starting the car!

Last edited by cipherzero9; 02-01-2023 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 08:26 PM   #187
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, great news! I now have android auto

I spoke with customer support at connected drive yesterday morning, they then formally submitted a ticket. Today around noon android auto was working immediately upon starting the car!
Glad it worked out (and that they got the process down to a few hours instead of several weeks!)

I presume all of the other stuff started working too (i.e. the remaining apps downloaded and your online connected-drive account allows you to purchase stuff)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:57 AM   #188
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Fwiw, I managed to get Coolwalk working (non-beta) by sideloading v8.8.* of the AA app. I was on 8.6.* previously and coolwalk wasn't working.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 08:29 AM   #189
Zeros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e & 2013 528i

I also side loaded 8.8, but do not have coolwalk. It is apparently a Google server side switch, so there is really no way for us end users
to enable it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 10:44 AM   #190
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Have you cleared the cache after sidelining 8.8?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 08:20 AM   #191
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdino View Post
Fwiw, I managed to get Coolwalk working (non-beta) by sideloading v8.8.* of the AA app. I was on 8.6.* previously and coolwalk wasn't working.
I managed to get Coolwalk working also. The bummer to me is that I can't get Waze to go full screen. Google maps does but Waze doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 08:41 AM   #192
Radhaz75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i xDrive

coolwalk was enabled overnight for me. im on the standard play store release of 8.7.630264.

as others have said, theres nothing you can really do to enable it now as its serverside controlled.

ill be curious to see how it looks on the smaller after market hu in my subaru, but in my g20 it looks pretty similar since it was already doing the split screen thing although it looks nicer now and can split to 3 cards instead of 2
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #193
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Well,

My car just got software update 11/2022.58 (another story!); my Samsung S21+ has Android v13.0, along Google Maps 11.66.0602 and Android Auto v 8.7.630264-release. All I did was, as suggested, turn on Taskbar widgets from the Android Auto options and I have a full iDrive Google Maps (after turning off Pandora).

While not as "cool" as some, it really does help in navigating!
Attached Images

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA

Last edited by RSnic; 02-10-2023 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0