Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Paint Peeling on New Car

11-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #23
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Glad it's what we had speculated 👍🏼
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 03:48 AM   #24
Nashville
BMW Sales
Rep
Drives: G20 Msport, 1996 Civic DX

Thanks for the update! I knew I was right! 😃

Glad it worked out in the end. This is a classic case of jumping to conclusions and it worked out in the end! Very happy for you, friend!
      11-18-2020, 04:36 AM   #25
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post
So here is was happened after taking my car in yesterday.

I parked my car in the service line and went inside to check in. At first I was a bit nervous talking to the service member because when I told him the paint was peeling on the hood of my new car he didn't even sound surprised. Then I repeated to him that the car was new and I just picked it up about 3 weeks ago, so he took my key to park in the garage lights. After checking it out, he came back to me and was like, "Your right. The car is brand new with only 500 miles and it shouldn't be peeling."

So after seeing the spot he took it to the detailing department saying they will confirm if it's the clear coat. After waiting about 30-40 minutes he came back and confirmed I was in fact just an idiot.

According to the team at my dealer, Nashville and a few others were correct. Apparently it was the adhesive from the transport sticker. That stuff must really be sticky because I use my nail and finger to try and peel away. And when washing my car I used a pressure washer and a microfiber cloth to try and wipe away with no success. I don't think 30-40 minutes would be enough time to do a decent paint correction so I trust the detail guy when he said he just removed the adhesive then polished.

Happy it's not something more serious; sad that I'm just a moron.
You're not a moron. The dealer is a moron for handing over a brand new car in that condition, even if it IS just the shipping protection. Why can't people take pride in their job and other people's belongings that they've probably worked hard to buy?
Appreciate 3
EXE462097.00
      11-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #26
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

Dealers miss defects. I was at the dealership yesterday getting oil service for my 2019 X3 M40i and while waiting was drooling over this beautiful M8 Competition with carbon fiber package. While walking around the car I noticed a huge chip in the carbon fiber on one of the side view mirrors. Right there in the middle of the showroom...this thing of beauty...with a huge chip.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #27
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Welp, I am afraid ours IS the clear coat. And it is an Individual Paint car.....so not a better quality job, just a specific color. Quite disappointed. Now to find a dealership in North Florida/South Georgia that can deal with Individual Purple silk.....I am not real hopeful....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #28
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Ouch, is it two different spots on your front end? This should be covered under warranty since your car is fairly new; just sucks that you have to go through that process.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #29
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ouch, is it two different spots on your front end? This should be covered under warranty since your car is fairly new; just sucks that you have to go through that process.
Yes. Passenger side right below lower grill, driver side a bit above the lower grill. I agree it should be covered. But it is the quality of the paint work in this area I worry about.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #30
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
Quote:
Yes. Passenger side right below lower grill, driver side a bit above the lower grill. I agree it should be covered. But it is the quality of the paint work in this area I worry about.
This just goes to show that issues like this aren't always front "bad repaint work." Sometimes just bad initial quality control.
Appreciate 1
MG20i117.50
      11-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #31
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
Welp, I am afraid ours IS the clear coat. And it is an Individual Paint car.....so not a better quality job, just a specific color. Quite disappointed. Now to find a dealership in North Florida/South Georgia that can deal with Individual Purple silk.....I am not real hopeful....
Could you take it to Spartenberg? I would think that they could match it there.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:00 AM   #32
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Could you take it to Spartenberg? I would think that they could match it there.
I live in North Floriduh, so that makes it nigh on impossible. Here's hoping one of the dealerships...NOT CAPITAL BMW IN TALLAHASSEE...within a couple hours has a paint shop that can do an excellent job.
Appreciate 0