Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Are lease cars worth buying?

11-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #23
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
Back to the OPs question... I personally would almost never buy an off-lease performance car, and never without seeing the carfax report and maintenance records. I wouldn’t want to buy a car that some idiot flogged without care just because he knew he was dumping it in 24 months for his next new toy.

The exception would be if I knew the original leasee and how he treated the car and could buyout his lease.
I think the term "idiot" would be better suited to someone who rented a performance car for 3 years and then babied it and drove it like a grandma,
My $.02
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #24
kirr89
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Yeah. And I mean even with carfax and inspections, someone who really drove the car hard will significantly shorten the life of the engine and car overall
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #25
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
5-series is incredibly floaty, although depending on options and wheel size can ride rougher than expected as some members have noted on the forum, either way, its a very disappointing BMW, I only owned it because I inherited it, but after someone totaled it, I was glad to be rid of it, even tested an M550i and felt bored driving it. I would advise you stay with the 3er if you value driving dynamics. The new LCI doesn't change any of the boringness of the 5er in my opinion. Not too sure about the tire specs on the G20 3er, however I'm sure they can be swapped for a more popular and widely available set, or at least optioned with one if you were to get a new 3-series.

Pretty much this C/D article sums up my experience with the 540i. 2017 BMW 540i Tested: Just Not That into You
A real shame, 5'er was a very good driver's car but then I haven't had the misfortune to drive one since the E60. The most disappointing car I have driven recently was a Nissan Altima rental last year and a Lexus ES350 as well. The Lexus was by far the worst driving experience even worst than the Altima.

The ES350 felt like a car 3 times its size on the highway. Just large and floaty, I cursed the few days I had to drive it and ended up taking the Spouse's RX350 since it was a far more pleasant drive. I Wonder if the new 5'er is worse than the ES350 lol, not that I want to run that experiment myself....
The 5-series drives better than the Lexus of course, however with the Lexus, its expected to be boring and succeeds at its intended mission. The 5-series though should not drive the way it does, its very Buick like in its handling, and embarrassment to its heritage, same for the F10. Even the outdated Lexus GS and Infiniti M (rebadged Q-whatever) drove better than both the F10 and G30. You know your handling is bad, when Mercedes of all people, the car brand synonymous with retirees and old men, can make a more convincing driver's car. I saw that an E43 won a comparison test in C/D with the 5er placing fourth and didn't believe the hype, so I test drove an E53 and CLS 53 (they replaced the E43) after driving at an M550 and was shocked to see how different the cars were.

I would love it if the 5-series handled similarly to the M340i, that plus the mix of excellent materials would be awesome, but instead of handling like a slightly bigger 3-series, like how things use to be, it handles like the barge that is the 7-series. My father refuses to sell his E60, no matter how broken it is
This is all so true. I chose my 540i for its interior design and quality, aspects lacking in the F30. Now that the G20 brings a modern (if not sumptuous) interior to the 3-series, I cannot wait to switch. Steering feel and lightness matter more than quilted massaging leather seats and soft close doors. I don't regret indulging in that 7-series level of luxury for a few years, but I got that out of my system and am ready for something fun again.

Also, to the OP's thread, there are some BMWs that just don't make sense for a lease buyout. I'd estimate a $15k delta between buyout and street value for mine. So glad I didn't buy it.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      11-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #26
kirr89
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Yeah I can't remember exactly but I think they said the end value would be USD 16K or 22K roughly. But man, so even the 540i doesn't have adjustable dampers? I would assume it does. And if it does, it wouldn't be somewhat stiff? I really doubt it would come anywhere close to the 3 series though. Its just immediate response and stiff without being uncomfortable.

Oh also, I've seen a lot of reviews saying the steering is numb. But my theory is that its intentionally done for safety. Its done so if you are about to accidentally veer outside your lane, you will understand that the vibration that you feel in the steering wheel is a warning sign and alert you to pull back into your lane. And something I tested which was interesting is that in the 3 series, if you are about to accidentally veer out of your lane, it will pull you back in, however if it happens consecutively, it won't pull you back in. Not sure if that's intentional or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #27
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Lease buyouts aren't the greatest choice since you end up paying the actual MSRP of the vehicle even though you may have negotiated the price down for the lease term. You can easily calculate this by seeing what you'll pay in 3 years for lease + the residual. Should equal right around the MSRP.

As far as your second question, lease returns are auctioned off since it's owned by BMW Financial, not the dealership. They can bid on it if they think it's worth it to bring into their inventory and sell it.
Appreciate 0