Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 330i M-Sport vs M340i Steering Weight

11-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
mehresm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

330i M-Sport vs M340i Steering Weight

Apologies if this has been asked before - I did not find it in a search - but I was wondering if anyone can compare the steering weight (in sport mode) between the 330i M Sport and the M340i?

I test drove the M340i and loved the weight of the steering in sport mode, which reminded me of my old 2008 330i.

The dealer had only a non-M Sport 330i and the steering was too light for my preferences, even in sport mode. So, my question is whether the M Sport version of the 330i is any different in this respect? Any thoughts from those who have driven both cars would be much appreciated! Thanks much.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #2
top2828
Registered
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i M-Sport

I have m-sport 330i. I like the steering feel in comfort mode much more. Sport mode steering wheels feels heavier but you can tell it's fake, so it feels like it's heavier for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

I have contemplated this, as I will order a new 3-series this week. After a long road trip in a rental 330i, I was reminded of how light and direct BMWs could be, especially compared to my 540i. However, the body roll and suspension rebounding were still too floaty for me in non M Sport setup. So I have been comparing the M340i and the 330i M Sport.

The 330i M Sport ride and handling is similar to the M340i. It is similarly flat through turns and the suspension feels the same. I find the steering feedback to be more precise. There is a dead zone on center with the M340i that feels more unnatural. Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive the M340i on a short "track" circuit at a BMW drive event and this confirmed my preference for the 330i. The M340i power and sound are intoxicating, but for me the way the 330i M Sport handles is more important. (Also drove the M235i Gran Coupe - hello understeer!)

caveats:
- All cars I drove were on passive suspension setups.
- I drove the 330i M Sport within a few days of the M340i, not back to back.
- The price difference is largely irrelevant to me. With either car I will save $300 - $400/month over my 540i. So this is not about justifying the cheaper car because I cannot or do not want to pay for the M340i.
- I do prefer the traditional grill and I appreciate the 40 MPG highway mileage I saw on the 330i, factors that affect my judgement and are not the norm on Bimmerpost.

I thought the steering issue could have been in my head, but the two cars use different steering racks. [From a R&T article: The long straight-six takes up some of the space required by the new dual-pinion electrically assisted power-steering rack used in the four-cylinder 330i, so the M340i uses the old ZF APA-style rack from the last-generation F30-chassis 3-series, and the difference is immediately obvious. Though I was cautioned that some of what I felt could have been attributed to high tire temperatures from track driving (the M340i prototypes weren't legal to drive on the street), I immediately noticed some of the on-center vagueness that plagued the last-generation car but not the new 330i. Let's hope the hot tires were indeed responsible.]
Appreciate 2
A6bullet337.00
      11-15-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Though the rack may be a concern, I would say the brilliance of the I6 outweighs that by a longshot. Virtually all of the steering feel has been improved since the F series chassis'. With plenty of shifting toward electric across all makes, I would argue to pick up some of these last great I6 motors that BMW does so well. As you already have the 540i I am sure you are closely familiar with that. I wouldn't give that up, personally.
      11-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I had a 330i loaner ( non m-sport) while my m340xi was in. I hated the steering in the 330. The weighting was atrocious and felt like a Toyota. However, it only felt okay on the interstate.
For perspective I came from a 2007 335i.
      11-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Though the rack may be a concern, I would say the brilliance of the I6 outweighs that by a longshot. Virtually all of the steering feel has been improved since the F series chassis'. With plenty of shifting toward electric across all makes, I would argue to pick up some of these last great I6 motors that BMW does so well. As you already have the 540i I am sure you are closely familiar with that. I wouldn't give that up, personally.
I totally understand that perspective and why so many people choose the M340i. More power is always fun, and smoother power delivery makes for a more refined experience regardless of speed. I would never try to talk someone out of the M340i.

But for me, driving on characterless, congested, and heavily patrolled Florida roads, the power is overkill 99% of the time. I am also one the oddballs who enjoyed the 320i whenever I had one for a loaner, though. There was something quintessential about that underpowered car. I could thrash it on public roads and coax the tail out a bit without risking my license, whereas in the M340i the party is over before it starts.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      11-17-2020, 02:35 AM   #7
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
I totally understand that perspective and why so many people choose the M340i. More power is always fun, and smoother power delivery makes for a more refined experience regardless of speed. I would never try to talk someone out of the M340i.

But for me, driving on characterless, congested, and heavily patrolled Florida roads, the power is overkill 99% of the time. I am also one the oddballs who enjoyed the 320i whenever I had one for a loaner, though. There was something quintessential about that underpowered car. I could thrash it on public roads and coax the tail out a bit without risking my license, whereas in the M340i the party is over before it starts.
I feel similarly. My current DD has no power which obviously sucks, but I can drive the car at 9/10ths all the time which is a lot of fun. Whereas a more powerful and refined car is just stretching its legs while you're pushing it so you feel nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
I have contemplated this, as I will order a new 3-series this week. After a long road trip in a rental 330i, I was reminded of how light and direct BMWs could be, especially compared to my 540i. However, the body roll and suspension rebounding were still too floaty for me in non M Sport setup. So I have been comparing the M340i and the 330i M Sport.

The 330i M Sport ride and handling is similar to the M340i. It is similarly flat through turns and the suspension feels the same. I find the steering feedback to be more precise. There is a dead zone on center with the M340i that feels more unnatural. Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive the M340i on a short "track" circuit at a BMW drive event and this confirmed my preference for the 330i. The M340i power and sound are intoxicating, but for me the way the 330i M Sport handles is more important. (Also drove the M235i Gran Coupe - hello understeer!)

caveats:
- All cars I drove were on passive suspension setups.
- I drove the 330i M Sport within a few days of the M340i, not back to back.
- The price difference is largely irrelevant to me. With either car I will save $300 - $400/month over my 540i. So this is not about justifying the cheaper car because I cannot or do not want to pay for the M340i.
- I do prefer the traditional grill and I appreciate the 40 MPG highway mileage I saw on the 330i, factors that affect my judgement and are not the norm on Bimmerpost.

I thought the steering issue could have been in my head, but the two cars use different steering racks. [From a R&T article: The long straight-six takes up some of the space required by the new dual-pinion electrically assisted power-steering rack used in the four-cylinder 330i, so the M340i uses the old ZF APA-style rack from the last-generation F30-chassis 3-series, and the difference is immediately obvious. Though I was cautioned that some of what I felt could have been attributed to high tire temperatures from track driving (the M340i prototypes weren't legal to drive on the street), I immediately noticed some of the on-center vagueness that plagued the last-generation car but not the new 330i. Let's hope the hot tires were indeed responsible.]
Interesting, I wasn't aware the 330i and m340i had different steering racks.

I had test drove an m340i with the intent to buy one and I was honestly a little underwhelmed. I noticed that strange center numbness of the steering immediately. The power was nice but I was a little disappointed that I only new it was fast by looking at the speedometer. It's just so smooth and quiet in the cabin which is both a positive and a negative. Still it was a lovely car overall and the overall performance and exterior and interior styling made it all up for me so I planned to go back the next week to purchase.

Funnily, I ended up test driving a 330i M-Sport when I came back because the wife was a little unhappy with the higher cost of the m340i. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did the faster version but I was pleasantly surprised. The steering actually felt nice this time around(which I thought was in my head) and of course the styling is pretty much identical except for a few little things. I ended up compromising to please the wife since I was trading in a perfectly fine f30.

Would I have went with the m340i if completely my choice? Of course, who doesn't love extra power. Still, the m-sport 330i is a nice surprise with plenty of power for everyday use and spirited drives. It's a big improvement over the f30 and I've been extremely happy with my purchase.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      11-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #9
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by top2828 View Post
I have m-sport 330i. I like the steering feel in comfort mode much more. Sport mode steering wheels feels heavier but you can tell it's fake, so it feels like it's heavier for no reason.
Annoyingly BMW thinks sporty means heavy rather than tactile. Comfort mode is usually the best mode in most BMW's, even the M car's suffer from the overly heavy and synthesized steering. Even in my M2 kept the steering always in comfort for the most "natural" feel.
      11-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #10
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by top2828 View Post
Annoyingly BMW thinks sporty means heavy rather than tactile. Comfort mode is usually the best mode in most BMW's, even the M car's suffer from the overly heavy and synthesized steering. Even in my M2 kept the steering always in comfort for the most "natural" feel.
Yea, i feel like Ive seen a decent amount of people recently agree with you on this. I'm sure most every day drivers will just keep the steering in comfort as well.

I will be an oddball and say I do like the heavier steering so I find it nice that BMW does give you the option for it but they were smart on allowing us to change it.

They knocked it out the park with the M-Sport steering wheel though. Love that thing. Just want to go fast every time I grip it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:17 AM   #11
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
As a previous F30 330i owner (which I absolutely loved) when I test drove the G20 330i (non m sport) I was quite underwhelmed with its driving characteristics too. Yes it has slightly better steering feel, a stiffer chassis and updated tech but apart from that they are near identical in terms of engine/performance. Oppositely, the M340i is far superior to its F30 predecessor in every aspect. For me the choice of going for the M340i was not just about performance in fact I find equal pleasure driving at slower speeds enjoying the driving characteristics of the awesome i6, it's power delivery and listening to the sound of that majestic B58 purr away in the background. As for steering feel, they are more similar than different- a little numb but not bad at all IMO
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:25 AM   #12
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So as I continue to obsess on the 330i before completing the order this week, I keep coming back to the Dynamic Handling Package. I have never driven a 330i so equipped, as they are as rare as hen's teeth in the U.S. Searching inventory I see exactly one in dealer stock, and of course it's clear across the country in CA.

Those who have it - usually in the UK and Australia - swear by it. But BMW addicts also tend to justify the importance of any performance bits, as if every commute is an autocross. I will probably just tick that box because I like the idea of having the best handling version of the car. I wish the brake calipers did not have to be blue or red.
Appreciate 1
A6bullet337.00
      11-21-2020, 05:02 AM   #13
mehresm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Thanks to all of the thoughtful responses! I did finally drive the 330i M Sport yesterday, with and without the dynamic handling package, and an M340i. The steering weight of the 330i M Sport is excellent and definitely heavier than the standard 330i. The revelation for me was the dynamic handling package, which was just wonderful. The 330i with dynamic handling is more nimble drive than the M340i - you definitely feel the extra lbs that the M340i carries.
Appreciate 3
ArchJR204.50
stein_325i25083.00