Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Android Auto

11-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #133
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungunG20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Is there a way to not have android auto start automatically besides disabling bluetooth on the phone?
If you select your phone from the drive system.
Either from the home screen or under 'mobile devices' you can disconnect Android Auto.
Then you can reconnect again from the same place.
Your phone should have setting to start Android Auto automatically when Bluetooth connects to car or when phone detects vehicle motion. Just disable that setting. You can then enable and connect Android Auto from any of the I-Drive screens that display Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #134
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

For those getting AA to work, may I ask what phone are you using?
I know only Google/Samsung phone with Android 10 or other brands with Android 11 would work wirelessly.

But my non-Google/Samsung phone doesn't have Android 11 yet...would AA work via wired connection?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #135
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
I know only Google/Samsung phone with Android 10 or other brands with Android 11 would work wirelessly.

But my non-Google/Samsung phone doesn't have Android 11 yet...would AA work via wired connection?
Wireless only. There are a few ways to get it working. I had to use a static IP address on my phone to get it connected (android 10).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #136
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos91 View Post
Wireless only. There are a few ways to get it working. I had to use a static IP address on my phone to get it connected (android 10).
Oh man...can you kindly share how to get it work?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #137
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post

The phones they list are just the ones that are guaranteed to work. You can try using Developer mode to get 'unsupported' phones to work. Works just fine on my LG running Android 10. If anything, wired is a no-go due to not being coded at all, for any phone.

You can find info on the Developer mode workaround here:
https://www.xda-developers.com/wirel...android-phone/
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=119
https://jrklein.com/2019/04/06/using...k-ios-android/
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #138
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
The phones they list are just the ones that are guaranteed to work. You can try using Developer mode to get 'unsupported' phones to work. Works just fine on my LG running Android 10. If anything, wired is a no-go due to not being coded at all, for any phone.

You can find info on the Developer mode workaround here:
https://www.xda-developers.com/wirel...android-phone/
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=119
https://jrklein.com/2019/04/06/using...k-ios-android/
thanks pal, will try it out
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #139
tiggawhat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 330D

I have a OnePlus 7T and it works just fine over wireless. My phone is not on "the list".

Now if I could just figure out how to make things full screen or at least take up more of the screen. They take up a quarter of the screen with a black bar with date and time. Is this just the way it is or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 04:31 AM   #140
Bernardo
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
Hi,
My dealer (in Portugal) last week installed 07.2020 on my 330e G20 and AA should be working. I see that it is now available but it fails to connect everytime. I have tried with 2 different Samsung phones (A7 and A50), both with Android 10 and all the latest updates. Any ideas on why it might be failing to connect? I have tried unpairing and paring again, etc. Many thanks!
Hi,
Just coming back here to report that AA started working yesterday. Nothing I tried before worked until suddenly I got a message on my phone (still the Galaxy A7 with Android 10) saying it detected my car supported AA and if I wanted to update to use it. After accepting all the confirmations and manually updating the basic Google app (it got stuck in the automated process) it is now working. Just drove to work this morning with Google Maps whilst listnening to a downloaded podcast on Podbean, all in AA.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #141
KoolMoeDee
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d xDrive

Hello!

I was just provided a brand new BMW 320d xDrive as a company car and I am having trouble finding/accessing android auto. Build would be late 2021/early 2022.

I am not sure if the car has it or not but I was under the assumption that they all have this feature now.

When I check the apps section of the car, there is no option for android auto even after connecting my phone via bluetooth.

May I please have some assistance from some other users on how to identify if the car should have android auto or not?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 05:53 PM   #142
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

What phone do you have? If you have a quick Google search you'll see that Wireless Android Auto is limited to only certain phones / OS versions.

Otherwise (from memory), if you go to devices, you will need to connect to bluetooth, then wireless, then Android Auto.

If none of this makes sense, can you let us know what version of iDrive you are running - maybe you're on iDrive 6??!?!?! But I don't think that's the issue for a late 2021 build, it's likely you don't have a compatible phone... or it's something to do with chip shortages?!?!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:32 PM   #143
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolMoeDee View Post
Hello!

I was just provided a brand new BMW 320d xDrive as a company car and I am having trouble finding/accessing android auto. Build would be late 2021/early 2022.

I am not sure if the car has it or not but I was under the assumption that they all have this feature now.

When I check the apps section of the car, there is no option for android auto even after connecting my phone via bluetooth.

May I please have some assistance from some other users on how to identify if the car should have android auto or not?

Thank you!
Based on your country and build date, your car should support Android Auto. Assuming your phone is on at least Android 10, that is. I don't think it shows up in the Apps section. The option to start it is in the same menu as your phone settings. You should also see something about 'searching for Android Auto' on your phone when the car is on.

You need to connect via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Direct. Bluetooth is used for pairing and Wi-Fi Direct for data transfer. Your phone's network data plan is used for internet.

You may need to do both of these:
1. Have mobile data set to always on or 'Switch to mobile data' enabled (preferred).
If it still doesn't work:
2. Connect to the car via Wi-Fi Direct and view the IP address (Advanced). Take a screenshot or write it down. Now go to the regular Wi-Fi settings page. Go to the advanced options for the same network and modify the settings. Change from DHCP to Static and enter the IP address from before.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #144
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Hello!

Thank you!
You might not have it temporarily. I've you have 6P1 option code it won't be there until April / may via a software update
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #145
KoolMoeDee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
What phone do you have? If you have a quick Google search you'll see that Wireless Android Auto is limited to only certain phones / OS versions.

Otherwise (from memory), if you go to devices, you will need to connect to bluetooth, then wireless, then Android Auto.

If none of this makes sense, can you let us know what version of iDrive you are running - maybe you're on iDrive 6??!?!?! But I don't think that's the issue for a late 2021 build, it's likely you don't have a compatible phone... or it's something to do with chip shortages?!?!
Thanks for the info.

I'm using a Pixel 6 phone so it should be fine. I can connect the phone to the car via Bluetooth but I still don't see an option for Android auto. The mybmw app on the phone comes up with a little notification to connect via WiFi but the option just isn't there in the cars settings
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #146
KoolMoeDee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Based on your country and build date, your car should support Android Auto. Assuming your phone is on at least Android 10, that is. I don't think it shows up in the Apps section. The option to start it is in the same menu as your phone settings. You should also see something about 'searching for Android Auto' on your phone when the car is on.

You need to connect via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Direct. Bluetooth is used for pairing and Wi-Fi Direct for data transfer. Your phone's network data plan is used for internet.

You may need to do both of these:
1. Have mobile data set to always on or 'Switch to mobile data' enabled (preferred).
If it still doesn't work:
2. Connect to the car via Wi-Fi Direct and view the IP address (Advanced). Take a screenshot or write it down. Now go to the regular Wi-Fi settings page. Go to the advanced options for the same network and modify the settings. Change from DHCP to Static and enter the IP address from before.
Thanks for the info.

I would agree here, the car is a brand new build so I would imagine it's supposed to be there. My phone is all up to date so no issues on that side.

My phone comes up with the searching for Android auto notification for a moment after connecting via Bluetooth, then the mybmw notification pops up to say to make sure WiFi is turned on in the car and the phone. WiFi is on phone but I don't see an open in the cars settings

I can connect to Bluetooth fine but there is no additional option in the cars connectivity settings that shows a WiFi connection. Is it possible the car does not have WiFi at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #147
KoolMoeDee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
You might not have it temporarily. I've you have 6P1 option code it won't be there until April / may via a software update
No idea here to be honest. Where do I check to see this code?

As per the mybmw app, there are no remote software updates outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 08:08 PM   #148
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

The issue is definitely that you are not connected to wifi. In your device connections in the car menu it should be there. Do a quick google search on how to connect to the wifi on iDrive 7. This is definitely an issue... hopefully the issue.

Edit... check this video out.

Once you have WiFi connected - you will need to find the connection on your phone and add the password etc. Then on that same screen he has for devices (25 seconds into the video), click on your phone and then scroll down to Android Auto and connect.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #149
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My phone comes up with the searching for Android auto notification for a moment after connecting via Bluetooth, then the mybmw notification pops up to say to make sure WiFi is turned on in the car and the phone. WiFi is on phone but I don't see an open in the cars settings
Sorry, I just realized that I may have misinterpreted your statement about AA being in the Apps section. I'm assuming your installed iDrive version is at least 2020/07.XX or later based on your build date. For a sanity check, you can confirm this by going to Car>Settings>General settings>Remote software upgrade (scroll to bottom). Also, in the AA settings on your phone, make sure "Wireless Android Auto" is enabled.

Now, assuming the above requirements are met... When you go to the Apps menu, there should be 4 items listed: Installed apps, Carplay, AA, and BMW Store. If you don't see AA there, press the Option button under the iDrive controller. Then "Update apps and services" and let it finish. It may take some time after this for the apps to finish downloading and installing (via the car's built-in LTE connection). I'm not sure if it only downloads while the car is on or not. I'm pretty sure it only showed up in my car after I left it parked, but it may have downloaded while driving and required a restart to show up. Go for a drive and/or leave it parked in an area with good reception.

Finally, you should be able to tap Android Auto under the Apps menu or Mobile devices to initiate pairing.

Quote:
Where do I check to see this code?
You can check your options list with a site like https://bimmer.work/.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:31 AM   #150
KoolMoeDee
Rep

Hi All,

i just spoke with BMW customer support and they have informed me that there is currently a chip issue and that a software update will come sometime in 2022 what will resolve the issue.

They explained that this is why android auto and apple carplay is not currently functional in the car but will show up once the update is released.

I suppose I wait until the software update is sent out.

Thank you for your support!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 09:07 AM   #151
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

KoolMoeDee, how do you interpret that explanation? Did BMW change the type of HW in your car to other types that is not compatible with the existing SW, so that it can be fixed with a SW update?
(Chip issues has so far meant that HW is missing in the delivered car ...)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:31 PM   #152
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
KoolMoeDee, how do you interpret that explanation? Did BMW change the type of HW in your car to other types that is not compatible with the existing SW, so that it can be fixed with a SW update?
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1884564

TL;DR. The headunits used in the new builds have a different Wi-Fi chipset, and the drivers ( software ) weren't ready in time .

So , the 6P1 hides the functionality , and a remote software update to a 22-03-5xx istep Will bring it back ( along with some enabling codes )
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 01:40 AM   #153
KoolMoeDee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
So interpret this as the following:

New BMWs or at least certain new models have a new chip in them in which there are currently software issues, system bugs or compatibility problems which will be resolved with a software update in the future.

Untill then, the features tied to this chip are removed.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 01:42 AM   #154
KoolMoeDee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1884564

TL;DR. The headunits used in the new builds have a different Wi-Fi chipset, and the drivers ( software ) weren't ready in time .

So , the 6P1 hides the functionality , and a remote software update to a 22-03-5xx istep Will bring it back ( along with some enabling codes )
Thank you for sharing this thread. Others are definitely affected and hopefully a software update fix comes soon!
Appreciate 0