Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Other drivers are trying to race me in my M340i

11-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #89
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Should have bought a Nissan Versa instead lol. I don't get it either, changing badges etc then should have passed on the M340i..
      11-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #90
joes_m340
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Should have bought a Nissan Versa instead lol. I don't get it either, changing badges etc then should have passed on the M340i..
Couldn't agree more.
      11-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #91
SunsetSleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
Yeah exactly. Also relates to vandalism, that orange Chevy will stand out in a parking lot but no one will care, when someone sees your orange M340 they might be angry / bitter.
BINGO!!! This guy got it. I drive a lot of luxury cars and I get all sorts of different reactions. I have driven beaters, trucks, and luxury cars.

I hate to say it but there is a growing segment of the population in the US who is bitter towards success and a 2020 BMW is somewhat an indicator you are successful.

To make matters worse BMW has its own stigma for rich people driving fast....Not quite as snobby as Mercedes Benz but not far behind.

By the way I love all luxury cars I just noticed you get different attitudes from people based on what car you drive and your age.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #92
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetSleeper View Post
BINGO!!! This guy got it. I drive a lot of luxury cars and I get all sorts of different reactions. I have driven beaters, trucks, and luxury cars.

I hate to say it but there is a growing segment of the population in the US who is bitter towards success and a 2020 BMW is somewhat an indicator you are successful.

To make matters worse BMW has its own stigma for rich people driving fast....Not quite as snobby as Mercedes Benz but not far behind.

By the way I love all luxury cars I just noticed you get different attitudes from people based on what car you drive and your age.
Agreed 100%... my driving style is borderline aggressive about half the time. I still use my blinker, but I refuse to be a sheep in the heard of slow drivers traveling under the speed limit, and this is why I prefer fast cars so that I can exploit opportunities to break through pockets of slow traffic. As such, some of the usual moves I've made to break through slow traffic in my old Lexus IS350 now seem to induce rage from other drivers now that I'm in a BMW. This truly amazes me because this car is so much faster than my old IS350... so it must be the badge!
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #93
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

This happens to me regularly on my way to and from work, and I'm only driving a base model 4GC. I can imagine the M340i attracting a bit more attention. I'll report back once mine comes in lol
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #94
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Agreed 100%... my driving style is borderline aggressive about half the time. I still use my blinker, but I refuse to be a sheep in the heard of slow drivers traveling under the speed limit, and this is why I prefer fast cars so that I can exploit opportunities to break through pockets of slow traffic. As such, some of the usual moves I've made to break through slow traffic in my old Lexus IS350 now seem to induce rage from other drivers now that I'm in a BMW. This truly amazes me because this car is so much faster than my old IS350... so it must be the badge!
I am the same way but de-badging is not the answer as well as the other nonsense being espoused here. Who cares if people are wanting to race you, the onus is on you to engage or not. If you don't engage they move on. There's no need to get worked up about this. Otherwise just buy a Versa and nobody will bother attempting to bait you into racing on the streets. I don't condone street racing either, best to just let them go besides you're not losing anything since no money is involved lol.

Ps. You might be new to BMW but bimmer drivers have always had the bad stigma of being a-holes on the street lol, especially 3 series owners so a lot of the flack you get is from those who believes in that stigma. I also owned a 3IS before and i can tell you the typical IS driver is just like the corolla guy, very slow. I was in a 200T and had to be passing those in IS350's since they simply will not drive at a decent pace.
      11-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #95
joes_m340
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xDrive

Garage List
Listen, we all worked hard, no reason to feel bad and hide that. Drive what you want when you want, live. Life is just crabs in a bucket. If you're a decent person, you shouldn't worry.
      11-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #96
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I am the same way but de-badging is not the answer as well as the other nonsense being espoused here. Who cares if people are wanting to race you, the onus is on you to engage or not. If you don't engage they move on. There's no need to get worked up about this. Otherwise just buy a Versa and nobody will bother attempting to bait you into racing on the streets. I don't condone street racing either, best to just let them go besides you're not losing anything since no money is involved lol.

Ps. You might be new to BMW but bimmer drivers have always had the bad stigma of being a-holes on the street lol, especially 3 series owners so a lot of the flack you get is from those who believes in that stigma. I also owned a 3IS before and i can tell you the typical IS driver is just like the corolla guy, very slow. I was in a 200T and had to be passing those in IS350's since they simply will not drive at a decent pace.
Fellow IS owners! I owned a 2IS 350 way back in 2008 and loved it. It was very quick for the time, the seats were incredibly comfortable, and interior material quality was top notch. It was also a silky smooth operator.

As much as I loved lexus at the time, ultimately what made me decide to look elsewhere was the fact that they never updated their 3.5L V6. In fact, to this day they're using the exact same naturally aspirated motor introduced in 2006 with virtually the same power output (I think there was a small 5 hp bump at some point over that 13 years and counting production run).

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 05:05 AM   #97
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
Rep
Drives: 08BMW335xia22

I'm just going to put Nissan badging on mine 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #98
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Yeah, guys try that game when I'm cruising in my M5.

It's funny that A) they think I'm going to play and B) that their early 00 Mustang Cobra or stock Camaro would stand a chance against me.
Appreciate 5
Blubaron791431.50
sikotic488.00
MineralM251.00
      12-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #99
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

So I've been driving around in a loaner M340i for the past 12 hours. It's all black (including the rims, trim and grille) so something that you'd think wouldn't really stand out.

Honestly every 2nd car is trying to race me. I have never had that happen so frequently in all the 4 years of owning my Estoril Blue II F30 340i with the MPPSK. Going by the current strike rate, we're talking once in a week vs about 10 times in one day!

Now, because I'm new to the M340i, I'm driving like a grandma as I learn the car... so a lot of base model BMWs, Mercs etc have been feeling quite proud as I let them pass or sad when I ignore their challenges. Tomorrow, I plan to school each and every one of them
Appreciate 1
sikotic488.00
      12-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #100
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

If it’s any consolation it’s the same prejudices in the UK.
Even the Media contribute to the hate. I’m always reading or seeing that the driver of a BMW was involved in a road rage incident or similar. They always mention the car brand. I never hear that the driver of a Ford Mondeo or a Kia C’eed was involved in an accident.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      12-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #101
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
So I've been driving around in a loaner M340i for the past 12 hours. It's all black (including the rims, trim and grille) so something that you'd think wouldn't really stand out.

Honestly every 2nd car is trying to race me. I have never had that happen so frequently in all the 4 years of owning my Estoril Blue II F30 340i with the MPPSK. Going by the current strike rate, we're talking once in a week vs about 10 times in one day!

Now, because I'm new to the M340i, I'm driving like a grandma as I learn the car... so a lot of base model BMWs, Mercs etc have been feeling quite proud as I let them pass or sad when I ignore their challenges. Tomorrow, I plan to school each and every one of them
Please report back with your results!! I've had mine for almost a week now so I'm in a similar situation
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #102
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
Please report back with your results!! I've had mine for almost a week now so I'm in a similar situation
Street racing is dick measuring contest where the other person may not even know they are participants.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
EXE462100.00
wtwo317943.50
Fuller1216.50
      12-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #103
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetSleeper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
Yeah exactly. Also relates to vandalism, that orange Chevy will stand out in a parking lot but no one will care, when someone sees your orange M340 they might be angry / bitter.

I guess this is also contingent as to where you live as well...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #104
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

Nah. Let them go. Street racing is not a good idea. Go ahead and gun your engine and then crawl away from the intersection. once they are gone, and perhaps in police custody, you can drive normally.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #105
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

Nah. Let them go. Street racing is not a good idea. Go ahead and gun your engine and then crawl away from the intersection. once they are gone, and perhaps in police custody, you can drive normally.
It's not the fast and the furious lol, it's just whoever can get up to the speed limit first
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #106
miguvid
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive

What is your consumption in 'race mode'? And in 'grandma mode'?

I am waiting my new M340i!!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:18 AM   #107
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's not the fast and the furious lol, it's just whoever can get up to the speed limit first
We only have 8 gears so...
Attached Images

12-26-2019, 05:44 AM   #108
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
We only have 8 gears so...
HAHAHAHA touché... that Mitsubishi Eclipse was ahead of its time with all of those gears

Quote:
Yeah sometimes it'sjumper fun to let others think you're about to race where they speed off and you just casually drive off like normal and cut in behind them.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #109
Longdoggy
Master Bates
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
I've made 3 commutes in our M340 over the last week, every time someone tried to race me. It's incredibly annoying. Yesterday some teenager in a Lexus GX570 was trying to get me to race him, took off as fast as he could, hit the hazard lights as if he won then cut over 2 lanes to the right, then immediately back across 5 lanes of traffic almost hitting 2 cars to turn left in a 35 zone, probably doing 80. After that an SRT Challenger was next to me at a stop light and took off smoking the tires and almost lost control into oncoming traffic. Then another teenager in a 335i thought I was trying to race when I just wanted to get in front of him because I had to turn.

Does anyone else have issues with this? I've never had these issues in another car. Not sure if it's because the car is bight blue, if it's the M340 badge, or just bad luck this weekend. It's my girlfriends daily driver and she has the same issues. We've only had the car for a week. Does removing M340i badge help with this? Trying to decide if we should try putting on a 330i badge or just remove the M?
I've only had mine for a few weeks and have put on about 300 miles around town and a few short highways. Almost every time I go out, I observe someone trying to race me, peeling out at a light next to me, or driving like a total d1ck.
My other car is a 2019 Dodge Durango R/T in white, which is fairly loud and looks aggressive with the front hood scoops. Rarely ever happens when driving the Durango.
Strange thing is, with those drivers trying to show off/race me, it's been mostly Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, and Honda's. A few BMW's wanted to play around.

I've not noticed this since I had a wide body Audi B5 S4. Use to have a 2011 335, and many other cars. The M340 definitely draws more attention.

RETIRED: 2011 E90 335i xDrive — Cobb AP3, PE Exhaust, Alpina TCU Flash, VRSF Charge Pipe
2017 Estoril Blue X1 M Sport — JB4
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #110
Longdoggy
Master Bates
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Question for all of you though. And this is a genuine question, I'm not being facetious -

What's the point of debadging? I used to think it was done because those who didn't have the higher spec car didn't want people to know they had the lower spec car (i.e. people who have a 330 don't want people to know it's not an m340) But obviously that's not the case if people with m340's are also debadging.
It just gets confusing sometimes.
Attached Images

RETIRED: 2011 E90 335i xDrive — Cobb AP3, PE Exhaust, Alpina TCU Flash, VRSF Charge Pipe
2017 Estoril Blue X1 M Sport — JB4
Appreciate 4