Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Welcome Lights - Need Your Help!

02-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Welcome Lights - Need Your Help!

Since my last update I have had a problem with the welcome lights.

Previously as I approach the car it would sense the key close by and the headlights, tail lights, door handle lights and welcome carpet lights would automatically come on and if I didn't open the car the headlights would pulse on and off showing the blue laser lights.

This stopped after my update and had to get BMW involved to try and resolve as the dealer said I was wrong and it didn't have that function.

They even tried to show me on a M340i in the showroom until I pointed out it won't work as it's not dark lol

So it's in for a full week from Monday and they have to download all the cars settings and send to BMW Germany. I have read on here that others had the same problem after updates and it seems to have been coded out and this is where I need your help!

If anyone has this feature working could you please post a video so I can show them I'm not as thick as they think and it was actually a feature before my update?

Many thanks
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

I can confirm that my 330i M Sport, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Visibility Pack, Premium Pack & M Sport Plus does the welcome lights bit, checked when I went out last night. Unfortunately the boss was with me and we were late for a dinner reservation so no time to film. I will try and capture one in the next day or so.
Appreciate 1
Andy3661121.50
      02-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Have PM'd you Andy3661
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex_G20 View Post
I can confirm that my 330i M Sport, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Visibility Pack, Premium Pack & M Sport Plus does the welcome lights bit, checked when I went out last night. Unfortunately the boss was with me and we were late for a dinner reservation so no time to film. I will try and capture one in the next day or so.
I knew I wasn't going mad lol. Thanks for your help
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

My car does it too.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 1
Andy3661121.50
      02-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all, I now have a video to go armed with on Monday so hopefully they will see sense.

Thank to Sussex_G20 for the vid, much appreciated
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Seems wrong that you have to go to the dealer with video evidence of something that should be available with your option that is now disabled that they aren’t aware of and seemingly incapable of clarifying with BMW.

Great cars but my god there’s a lot to be desired in terms of customer support in far too many instances.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Seems wrong that you have to go to the dealer with video evidence of something that should be available with your option that is now disabled that they aren’t aware of and seemingly incapable of clarifying with BMW.

Great cars but my god there’s a lot to be desired in terms of customer support in far too many instances.
Couldn't agree more and this is just one of a list of things since the update which was in November I think. If BMW didn't jump in I don't know what I could have done.

Had a 5 series before this were you would only get heat when set on highest setting. The minute you turned it down one notch it went cold! They said that was normal for the driver to stop them falling asleep lol so I basically I had two settings either hot or cold?

I won't name the dealer but you can probably figure it out if I live in Manchester.

I actually drove 30 minutes to another dealer in Huddersfield in the end and the customer service and knowledge was far better.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My dealer has been very helpful(I’m on my 6th consecutive BMW and 15 years) but if it wasn’t for these boards I’d be lost.
I’ve had a dealer software upgrade without any hassle whereas one guy was told that they would do it ( after initial resistance)as a “complimentary gesture” on a car under warranty ffs!!.

The much heralded Over the air updates don’t work, ConnectedDrive stats for 330e have never worked and the folks at the dealers seem to know less about their cars than the guys on here!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:05 PM   #10
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Only been on here a few months but learnt so much and the knowledge people have ok here is really good.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #11
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I agree. Forums are a great way to learn a lot of things. Both my Audi and BMW dealers said I’m one of the more knowledgeable customers they’ve come across.
When my Audi had an issue and there was a TSB available on the forums and I took a screenshot to the service centre, they were surprised when they saw it since they weren’t aware of it. They even made a note on the service request saying I got the TSB number from a forum and they checked and found it existed
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I agree. Forums are a great way to learn a lot of things. Both my Audi and BMW dealers said I’m one of the more knowledgeable customers they’ve come across.
When my Audi had an issue and there was a TSB available on the forums and I took a screenshot to the service centre, they were surprised when they saw it since they weren’t aware of it. They even made a note on the service request saying I got the TSB number from a forum and they checked and found it existed
Knowledge is power! 👍🏻
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      03-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #13
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just a quick update on this one.

So my car has been in the dealers for 2 weeks now, yes 2 weeks!!!

Had a call today telling me that they loaned another 3 series to test the update on and guess what, it's also removed the welcome lights! Now some poor person has the same issue has me.

Anyway, still not fixed and they don't know how to fix it so picking it up tomorrow and they are waiting for BMW to release a fix, how long will that be I hear you ask.

I was told they have no idea so back to square one!
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post

Had a call today telling me that they loaned another 3 series to test the update on and guess what, it's also removed the welcome lights! Now some poor person has the same issue has me.

Anyway, still not fixed and they don't know how to fix it so picking it up tomorrow and they are waiting for BMW to release a fix, how long will that be I hear you ask.

Ah bollox. Carry a torch Mate. You bought the car, suck it up! You’ll be expecting Connected Drive to work next.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #15
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Quote:

Ah bollox. Carry a torch Mate. You bought the car, suck it up! You’ll be expecting Connected Drive to work next.
Lol I actually never had any issues with connected drive, even my remote view has always worked so that's one bonus.

Suppose I'll just see what BMW come back with but if it was working before they updated it I don't see why it shouldn't work now and the welcome lights is just one of a number if issues with the system.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:31 AM   #16
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Welcome Lights - Need Your Help!

So I'm still experiencing issues with the welcome lights and my car has been in the dealers for a few days trying to fix this.

They have said they have fixed it and said it works at night but when testing they don't come on when I approach the vehicle and it senses the key during the day as it did before and said I need to auto unlock option switched on which I never had before. Two questions:

Is this function still on newer models than mine (03/2019) where the car detects the key as you approach and the lights activate during the day and night and cycles through without auto unlock switched on?

Could someone share a video of this if possible please showing them come on when you approach the car with it still locked and the lights should come on and off?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 06:20 AM   #17
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

I agree best thing about this forum is the knowledge of such a wide variety of people, issues and localities.

Main thing I use it for is to check I’m not going mad 🤣

Found a few things on here I’ve made an easy fix to myself that would otherwise have been another PITA visit to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
jonnyboyj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320d M Sport

Quote:
So I'm still experiencing issues with the welcome lights and my car has been in the dealers for a few days trying to fix this.

They have said they have fixed it and said it works at night but when testing they don't come on when I approach the vehicle and it senses the key during the day as it did before and said I need to auto unlock option switched on which I never had before. Two questions:

Is this function still on newer models than mine (03/2019) where the car detects the key as you approach and the lights activate during the day and night and cycles through without auto unlock switched on?

Could someone share a video of this if possible please showing them come on when you approach the car with it still locked and the lights should come on and off?

Many thanks
I also have a 320d (03/2019) with the same problem. The welcome lights worked until I installed an 'over the air' update to the car and they haven't worked since. I thought it was a great feature, walking up to the car and lights coming on without any interaction via the key. I have Comfort access but have left auto unlock deliberately turned off.

I would ask my local dealer to have a look at it but judging by what you're saying it's a painful process and my singular visit to them so far for another matter was painful enough.

Sorry I can't provide any video evidence to assist, but good luck getting it resolved and if you do please post the fix.
Appreciate 1
Andy3661121.50
      09-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #19
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboyj View Post
Quote:

Many thanks
I also have a 320d (03/2019) with the same problem. The welcome lights worked until I installed an 'over the air' update to the car and they haven't worked since. I thought it was a great feature, walking up to the car and lights coming on without any interaction via the key. I have Comfort access but have left auto unlock deliberately turned off.

I would ask my local dealer to have a look at it but judging by what you're saying it's a painful process and my singular visit to them so far for another matter was painful enough.

Sorry I can't provide any video evidence to assist, but good luck getting it resolved and if you do please post the fix.
It's so frustrating, they don't understand what I mean. They have updated the software to latest version, updated the main car firmware and replaced the BDC module but still won't work unless I put the comfort access on as I approach.

Did yours used to work during the day?

I could stand near the car during the day and the lights would cycle through the DRLs, side lights and main beams with the blue from the laser lights staying on for a period of time.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #20
jonnyboyj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320d M Sport

Quote:
It's so frustrating, they don't understand what I mean. They have updated the software to latest version, updated the main car firmware and replaced the BDC module but still won't work unless I put the comfort access on as I approach.

I could stand near the car during the day and the lights would cycle through the DRLs, side lights and main beams with the blue from the laser lights staying on for a period of time.
I'm struggling to remember if they used to work during the day, I definitely recall seeing the blue of the laser lights and the tail lights coming on when I approached the car at night and dusk but not during daylight. I've never had comfort access enabled on the car. Not sure where to go from here, if your dealer can't fix it then the next logical step would be BMW UK?
Appreciate 1
Andy3661121.50
      09-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #21
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboyj View Post
Quote:

I'm struggling to remember if they used to work during the day, I definitely recall seeing the blue of the laser lights and the tail lights coming on when I approached the car at night and dusk but not during daylight. I've never had comfort access enabled on the car. Not sure where to go from here, if your dealer can't fix it then the next logical step would be BMW UK?
Thanks.

Been on to BMW UK all through this and they just blame the dealer. I will keep going with the dealer and keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #22
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I've only ever used comfort access to unlock the car once you place your hand on the handle and the lights never came on as I approached. I turned on the unlock whilst approaching to see what happened and left the car for a little bit.

After opening the front door (of the house) the welcome lights of the car were already on.

I'm currently on the July 2020 software which has Android auto as my connected drive wasn't working. I think I was previously on a October/November 2019 software. The welcome lights never came on even on the previous software.
Appreciate 1
Andy3661121.50