Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Software update 11/2019.70

05-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #23
Bimmer_73NL
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, G21 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokgadeking View Post
My M340i got updated to 03/2020 and I do not see climate control rules anymore. Anyone else facing this issue?
I checked on our car (G21 - EU spec), and I do see the climate rules options under the 'AC menu' button. Our G21 was recently updated to version 03.2020.40 when brought to the dealer to fix the automatic folding of the mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #24
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

I just got 3/2020.58 and now my remote start doesn’t work. Anyone else have this issue?

Also I assume my ecu is now locked?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #25
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
I just got 3/2020.58 and now my remote start doesn’t work. Anyone else have this issue?

Also I assume my ecu is now locked?
I just got upgraded to the same. You need to go back into iDrive and enable it.
      06-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #26
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I just got upgraded to the same. You need to go back into iDrive and enable it.
Thanks, I’ll check that out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #27
kittonian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I have a 2020 M340i with the July 2019 software and the app has stopped working a month after we got it (May 2019) and my wife's phone has never connected to the car for CarPlay, though mine does for whatever reason. The app still states that the last time it even got information from the vehicle was back in late Oct 2019.

I searched for updates again today and it says no update available, and I cannot download any update from the BMW website because it says the software will be updated automatically and does not provide me with a download to do it via USB.

Can anyone share the correct software for my car so I can install the latest update. Taking it to a shop right now is not an option and I would love to finally get my features working on this really expensive car I've been paying for.

Also, beyond the software update, I have read about pulling fuse 115 on an i3 that solves all the communications issues with the BMW app, but of course fuse 115 on an i3 does not correspond to anything on the 340i, so I'm wondering which fuse to pull to try and resolve the app issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by kittonian; 06-08-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #28
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Can anyone share the correct software for my car so I can install the latest update.
This is not possible. As the software update needs to unlock iDrive and make changes to the code, this is not something that BMW allows drivers to share between themselves.

It's a staggered update to avoid overwhelming their servers, much like how Apple and any other tech company handles updates. BMW just has less and/or slower servers than major tech companies, so it's taking longer. Be patient.

Your other option is to drive outside of Austin, to a dealership, to get your vehicle updated.

Autobahn Ft Worth and BMW Dallas are both able to do this currently.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #29
kittonian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
This is not possible. As the software update needs to unlock iDrive and make changes to the code, this is not something that BMW allows drivers to share between themselves.

It's a staggered update to avoid overwhelming their servers, much like how Apple and any other tech company handles updates. BMW just has less and/or slower servers than major tech companies, so it's taking longer. Be patient.

Your other option is to drive outside of Austin, to a dealership, to get your vehicle updated.

Autobahn Ft Worth and BMW Dallas are both able to do this currently.
Appreciate the response, however please note that the staggered update situation does not apply here as BMW has issues 2 updates after July 2019 and neither have been sent to my vehicle. My car still says no update is available.

Also, would love some info on the fuse number to pull as described above.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #30
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Appreciate the response, however please note that the staggered update situation does not apply here as BMW has issues 2 updates after July 2019 and neither have been sent to my vehicle. My car still says no update is available.
The only over-the-air remote software upgrade that BMW has reliably issued is 11/2019.70. This one might still be rolling out, but if you have connected drive issues, really your best bet is to let a dealer update it under warranty, as written above.

I wouldn't pull any fuses, the I3 is on a totally different platform and OS level as the G20 so that's very unlikely to help at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #31
kittonian
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the responses and your concern but I would still like to know the fuse number for the cellular connection in this vehicle. Pulling a fuse for a minute and putting it back in is child's play. Just don't know which one to try. If it doesn't work, I'm no worse off than I am right now.

FYI for anyone who wants to know, the fuses are in the trunk panel and are F212, F214, F215, F216. I pulled them, waited and reseated and now my wife's phone will connect to CarPlay and is properly recognized. Still no Connected Drive connectivity but a little progress at least. Car still doesn't see any newer software update past July 2019.

Additional update. I was informed that the cellular fuse is F4 which is in the BDC (a real pain in the ass to get to btw). I pulled it, let is reset, and put it back in. Now the BMW Connected app in the car works, but it still shows no new software, nor will it communicate with my phone (still says last update on Oct 21, 2019).

My dealer said that they can update it via their diagnostic computer but they will also have to do the control board update which takes away 40 horsepower. I want the communications with my phone to work so I can use ventilate now (my fav remote feature) but I don't want to lose 40 horsepower in the process. I was told there was no way to not do that update if they update the software (seems like there should be a way to only update the software and not do the control board update but.... dealers are dealers).

Last edited by kittonian; 06-09-2020 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #32
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the responses and your concern but I would still like to know the fuse number for the cellular connection in this vehicle. Pulling a fuse for a minute and putting it back in is child's play. Just don't know which one to try. If it doesn't work, I'm no worse off than I am right now.

FYI for anyone who wants to know, the fuses are in the trunk panel and are F212, F214, F215, F216. I pulled them, waited and reseated and now my wife's phone will connect to CarPlay and is properly recognized. Still no Connected Drive connectivity but a little progress at least. Car still doesn't see any newer software update past July 2019.

Additional update. I was informed that the cellular fuse is F4 which is in the BDC (a real pain in the ass to get to btw). I pulled it, let is reset, and put it back in. Now the BMW Connected app in the car works, but it still shows no new software, nor will it communicate with my phone (still says last update on Oct 21, 2019).

My dealer said that they can update it via their diagnostic computer but they will also have to do the control board update which takes away 40 horsepower. I want the communications with my phone to work so I can use ventilate now (my fav remote feature) but I don't want to lose 40 horsepower in the process. I was told there was no way to not do that update if they update the software (seems like there should be a way to only update the software and not do the control board update but.... dealers are dealers).
You were told here that there was only one OTA, yet you still want to take the hard way out and fiddle with your vehicle.

Lose factory HP on an update? No. That's never been confirmed and is a wild rumor. If that were the actual case, you'd need to sign a legal document to approve it, as to have BMW corp avoid costly class-action lawsuits.

You clearly have a bit of an obsession to go at this alone. That's fine, but please don't come back here and cry that you weren't warned or that you now need to go to the dealership for a fix.

And FYI, BMW has confirmed that the North American OTA updates are staggered, as is the norm, based on your VIN. It's a 30-50 day process which started less than two weeks ago.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #33
kittonian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You were told here that there was only one OTA, yet you still want to take the hard way out and fiddle with your vehicle.

Lose factory HP on an update? No. That's never been confirmed and is a wild rumor. If that were the actual case, you'd need to sign a legal document to approve it, as to have BMW corp avoid costly class-action lawsuits.

You clearly have a bit of an obsession to go at this alone. That's fine, but please don't come back here and cry that you weren't warned or that you now need to go to the dealership for a fix.

And FYI, BMW has confirmed that the North American OTA updates are staggered, as is the norm, based on your VIN. It's a 30-50 day process which started less than two weeks ago.
You seem to be hell bent on responding to me in a fairly aggressive and negative manner in both threads I posted responses in, but let me enlighten you. The losing horsepower situation has 100% been confirmed by the foreman of my dealer's service dept and it has been billed as an "emissions recall" by BMW. You will lose approx 40 horsepower and he was well aware of it when I spoke with him about it this morning.

You also continue to inform me about how the 3.2020 update is not yet available OTA in the USA. That's fine, but the 11.2019 update was 6 months ago so we are well passed the 30-50 day staggered timeline you mentioned.

I have accomplished more by myself in the last two days then both BMW corporate (ConnectedDrive and the Genius departments) and my dealer have been able to in the past year.

It is not that I am too stubborn to allow my dealer to service the vehicle but I am not going to put myself nor my family at risk during a global pandemic for something they have failed at numerous times over the past year, and to which I have almost 100% solved in the past two days.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #34
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

You seem to be hell bent on responding to me in a fairly aggressive and negative manner in both threads I posted responses in, but let me enlighten you. The losing horsepower situation has 100% been confirmed by the foreman of my dealer's service dept and it has been billed as an "emissions recall" by BMW. You will lose approx 40 horsepower and he was well aware of it when I spoke with him about it this morning.

You also continue to inform me about how the 3.2020 update is not yet available OTA in the USA. That's fine, but the 11.2019 update was 6 months ago so we are well passed the 30-50 day staggered timeline you mentioned.

I have accomplished more by myself in the last two days then both BMW corporate (ConnectedDrive and the Genius departments) and my dealer have been able to in the past year.

It is not that I am too stubborn to allow my dealer to service the vehicle but I am not going to put myself nor my family at risk during a global pandemic for something they have failed at numerous times over the past year, and to which I have almost 100% solved in the past two days.
I had the emissions recall done on my M340 about 5 weeks ago. Pretty sure I would notice a 40hp drop. Acceleration and power seems exactly what it was before the emissions recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #35
kittonian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
I had the emissions recall done on my M340 about 5 weeks ago. Pretty sure I would notice a 40hp drop. Acceleration and power seems exactly what it was before the emissions recall.
I would agree that it should be a pretty noticeable drop in power, but I double checked this with the number 2 (maybe even #1 now) dealer in the nation's (BMW of San Antonio) service director and she also confirmed it and agreed that it sucks to lose power.

Is it possible that you didn't have one of the first ones off the line? Those are the only ones this applies to. All further runs had the reduction in place when it shipped. We have one of the first ones to be sent to this country (got it in May of 2019).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #36
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Not again guys, this hp deficit argument has been discussed ad nauseam in this fora. It's a myth despite what shop foreman is proclaiming.
      06-09-2020, 08:33 PM   #37
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

I too recently had the recall done and there is absolutely no way I lost 40 HP. All feels exactly the same as before.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #38
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
Rep
Drives: 08BMW335xia22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspdw View Post
Do you have to update your car? Dont want my ecu locked an unable to flash as im on bm3.

Don’t do it ... it’s not an easy fix if you do. Not only do they have to bench unlock but they also have to change versions and recode the ROM. Ptf has to log in through your computer. It’s a nightmare ... though after the Finnish with a certain dme and resetting the ROM of a m340 so it’s com POP stilled it should be an easier fix but as of right now they’re just now getting to look at the newer versions .... TRUST ME when I say to wait till they learn from the one they’re working on now before flashing and locking back to stock. Don’t even take it in for the recall TRUST Me 😅 they’re working on it now
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #39
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2020 M340i with the July 2019 software and the app has stopped working a month after we got it (May 2019) and my wife's phone has never connected to the car for CarPlay, though mine does for whatever reason. The app still states that the last time it even got information from the vehicle was back in late Oct 2019.

I searched for updates again today and it says no update available, and I cannot download any update from the BMW website because it says the software will be updated automatically and does not provide me with a download to do it via USB.

Can anyone share the correct software for my car so I can install the latest update. Taking it to a shop right now is not an option and I would love to finally get my features working on this really expensive car I've been paying for.

Also, beyond the software update, I have read about pulling fuse 115 on an i3 that solves all the communications issues with the BMW app, but of course fuse 115 on an i3 does not correspond to anything on the 340i, so I'm wondering which fuse to pull to try and resolve the app issue.

Thanks!

I had the same issue with the connected app I had the July build updated in may due to the recall ... my Idrive works perfectly now
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #40
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
I would agree that it should be a pretty noticeable drop in power, but I double checked this with the number 2 (maybe even #1 now) dealer in the nation's (BMW of San Antonio) service director and she also confirmed it and agreed that it sucks to lose power.

Is it possible that you didn't have one of the first ones off the line? Those are the only ones this applies to. All further runs had the reduction in place when it shipped. We have one of the first ones to be sent to this country (got it in May of 2019).
No, mine was ordered in Feb 2019 and I picked it up in mid April. I think it was the first M340 in Manhattan (according to the dealership).

There was a thread or two about this topic though a few months ago, and I am not the only one to have had the work done and said there is no difference power.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #41
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!

See my response below I had the exact same issues .. now everything works ... my bmw is not at the welt anymore (3D) . Location works .. “last updated” works
Honestly all I would thing pulling and replacing fuses will do is to allow it to work once and freeze again
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #42
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep

Quote:

So, if I report to BMW USA that the SD at SAT is spreading this info, she'll stand by it?

It's bullocks. Whether they're #1 or #300. Sales position makes ZERO difference when it comes to the truth of the matter.

Bottom line, you're spreading mistruths than haven't been confirmed on a widespread basis, as well as pushing narratives that simply aren't wise. Tinker if you want. Don't come back to cry.

The 11/2019 was not PUSHED 9 months ago as an OTA. You are dead wrong... Again. This is the first USA OTA, ever.

In the past, if you wanted an update in the US, you went to the service dept of a dealership. Period.

Quit trying to talk in circles to validate your wrong info.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)

Last edited by Benjamin_Nicholas; 06-09-2020 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #43
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
Rep

Quote:
So, if I report to BMW USA that the SD at SAT is spreading this info, she'll stand by it?

It's bullocks. Whether they're #1 or #300. Sales position makes ZERO difference when it comes to the truth of the matter.

Bottom line, you're spreading mistruths than haven't been confirmed on a widespread basis, as well as pushing narratives that simply aren't wise. Tinker if you want. Don't come back to cry.

The 11/2019 was not PUSHED 9 months ago as an OTA. You are dead wrong... Again. This is the first OTA, ever.

In the past, if you wanted an update in the US, you went to the service dept of a dealership. Period.

Quit trying to talk in circles to validate your wrong info.

I have a July build too ... I only heard of the emissions HP loss were only in the March builds. Now I would venture that it was detuned to 380 which wouldnt need signatures because it is producing its advertised HP plus it’s underrated like all their engines. Also since it was emissions and tune I would say IMO it would be the same power you would see from when you had it tuned from MP or PTF so if you were going to get a catless dp and stage 2 from flash you would only gain maybe 20 instead of say the stated 60. Basically the tuners are dialing it in to what was before the upgrade. But all that is speculation ... like I’ve said above I def would not flash and lock right now in regards to ptf because they just now got a dme to work off of
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #44
W288SH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: 2016 X5; 2020 M340i /

I did the over the air update to 11/2019.70 yesterday on my '20 M340i.

The difference I noticed is there seems to be more area voided out around the front, rear, and right side of the car when the 360 degree cameras are engaged.
2020 M340i - Sold
2021 M3 6MT
2023 X5 xDrive 40i
Appreciate 0