Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Paint Peeling on New Car

11-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Paint Peeling on New Car

Have a Brand New 2021 330i that I started leasing about two weeks ago. Did my first hand wash of it today and found some paint already peeling on the hood. Not sure exactly how to handle this but I find it a bit crazy that the paint is already doing this.

I clearly didn’t cause this damage but I don’t want them blaming me for this on a lease.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post
Have a Brand New 2021 330i that I started leasing about two weeks ago. Did my first hand wash of it today and found some paint already peeling on the hood. Not sure exactly how to handle this but I find it a bit crazy that the paint is already doing this.

I clearly didn’t cause this damage but I don’t want them blaming me for this on a lease.
Call BMW north America and ask for direction - they will likely tell you to take it to the dealer. I suggest this approach because the dealer will know that corp is in the loop. That way it doesn't become an "escalation" to corp at some point if you are not getting satisfaction from the dealer - they (corp) will already be in the loop (and the dealer will know it)

I had a somewhat similar experience back in 2006 with a 550 I purchased new from the dealer. Like you, after about 2 weeks of ownership I noticed the paint on the trunk lid was quite cloudy. I contacted BMW North America along with the dealer and expressed my frustration that this car made it to the end user (Me) in this condition and no I didn't want it repainted. My position was the car should have never reached me in the first place like this.

They ended up getting me a new car - and let me drive my existing car with cloudy paint for the 6 weeks it took to arrive
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just did what you said and called BMW NA and they l told me to contact the dealer.

I sent a text over to the guy I was dealing with when I leased the car. Let’s see if he’s as friendly as he was when he was trying to get me in the car. They better not try and claim I caused this somehow.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

It's hard to tell in the pics, but is it clearcoat peeling?

Just going by the pics, it almost looks like it's remnants of the white shipping plastic

Have you tried carefully peeling it up with your fingernail?

Here is an example of what I'm referring to
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post

Just going by the pics, it almost looks like it's remnants of the white shipping plastic

When i seen it i thought it was the plastic as well because I couldn't imagine the paint was already peeling, but nope it's literally the the paint.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

When i seen it i thought it was the plastic as well because I couldn't imagine the paint was already peeling, but nope it's literally the the paint.
That's very unusual, your dealer should take care of this

Did you happen to take any pictures when doing the final walk around before taking it off the lot?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's very unusual, your dealer should take care of this

Did you happen to take any pictures when doing the final walk around before taking it off the lot?
Unfortunately I purchased the car at night. I originally went in for another car and went out with this one that was just off the delivery truck basically. I suspect that the dealership didn't inspect it fully like they said.

I have an appointment with the dealership for Monday. Still just annoyed i have to go through this on a brand new car after 2 weeks. I own a 2007 Volvo with zero peeling paint and it's been parked outside pretty often in the hot California sun for the last couple years.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
Nashville
BMW Sales
Rep
Drives: G20 Msport, 1996 Civic DX

I'm willing to bet that's residue / glue from the transport sticker.

Will you please keep us updated?
      11-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
I'm willing to bet that's residue / glue from the transport sticker.

Will you please keep us updated?
I really wish it was. Hard to capture in a picture but I can definitely see the clear coat peeling.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #10
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:

Those spots are just a reflection in the paint. My son asked the same question
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #11
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
Quote:

Those spots are just a reflection in the paint. My son asked the same question
Oh lol i posted a pic of your car referring to the shipping plastic still on the hood 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #12
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:
Oh lol i posted a pic of your car referring to the shipping plastic still on the hood 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #13
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can even see a discolored white where the peeling is. Not sure if that spot peeled even further than just the clear coat but looking forward to Monday so I can get some answers.

After a quick search I found some other members experience this on other models. Though, most of them didnt experienced it as quickly as I did.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #14
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yeah I can definitely see that as peeling clear coat. That shouldn't happen on any new car. It's unacceptable and the dealer should repair it for you. Since it's a lease, if you have no plans to purchase it at the end, I wouldn't care if they repainted it. But if you plan on keeping it or if you had bought the car, I'd push for a new car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Yeah I can definitely see that as peeling clear coat. That shouldn't happen on any new car. It's unacceptable and the dealer should repair it for you. Since it's a lease, if you have no plans to purchase it at the end, I wouldn't care if they repainted it. But if you plan on keeping it or if you had bought the car, I'd push for a new car.
I will probably not be buying this car at the end of the lease so I mainly just want it fixed so I'm not driving a 2021 car with messed up paint for 3 years. Plus I don't want them trying to blame me for this damage on the lease return.

I also think they gave me the car with a little scuff on the bumper but since I didn't thoroughly inspect the car myself and didn't take any pictures upon purchase I have no proof. Lesson learned for next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #16
Nashville
BMW Sales
Rep
Drives: G20 Msport, 1996 Civic DX

Quote:
Quote:
I will probably not be buying this car at the end of the lease so I mainly just want it fixed so I'm not driving a 2021 car with messed up paint for 3 years. Plus I don't want them trying to blame me for this damage on the lease return.

I also think they gave me the car with a little scuff on the bumper but since I didn't thoroughly inspect the car myself and didn't take any pictures upon purchase I have no proof. Lesson learned for next time.
Did you take it to the dealer yet? I'm anxiously waiting lol
      11-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #17
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Did you take it to the dealer yet? I'm anxiously waiting lol
My appointment is Monday. So a couple days before we both get answers, lol.

I wish they had something available sooner but when I called they only offered next week so I took the first appointment they had.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #18
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm saying they should repair it regardless. Just saying that if you're not planning on keeping it, there's no point pushing for a new car. That'll just be pointless frustration.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #19
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm saying they should repair it regardless. Just saying that if you're not planning on keeping it, there's no point pushing for a new car. That'll just be pointless frustration.
Agree on this; well as long as they do a decent repaint and not some cheap quick job on the hood.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #20
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So here is was happened after taking my car in yesterday.

I parked my car in the service line and went inside to check in. At first I was a bit nervous talking to the service member because when I told him the paint was peeling on the hood of my new car he didn't even sound surprised. Then I repeated to him that the car was new and I just picked it up about 3 weeks ago, so he took my key to park in the garage lights. After checking it out, he came back to me and was like, "Your right. The car is brand new with only 500 miles and it shouldn't be peeling."

So after seeing the spot he took it to the detailing department saying they will confirm if it's the clear coat. After waiting about 30-40 minutes he came back and confirmed I was in fact just an idiot.

According to the team at my dealer, Nashville and a few others were correct. Apparently it was the adhesive from the transport sticker. That stuff must really be sticky because I use my nail and finger to try and peel away. And when washing my car I used a pressure washer and a microfiber cloth to try and wipe away with no success. I don't think 30-40 minutes would be enough time to do a decent paint correction so I trust the detail guy when he said he just removed the adhesive then polished.

Happy it's not something more serious; sad that I'm just a moron.
Appreciate 4
Burrcold5274.50
Nashville1108.00
EXE462100.00
      11-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #21
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Best possible outcome

Glad it worked out for you
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #22
Wayner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

You're not a moron. You did the right thing!
You're not an expert on paint finishes and you were wise with a new vehicle to let them figure it out. Enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 2
greekcs773.00