Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Portimao blue - the new black!

06-23-2021, 03:56 AM   #1
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

Portimao blue - the new black!

Anyone got a portimao blue G20/G21?

I love my portimao M340i but I'm beginning to think blue is the new black. It's just a nightmare to keep clean.

I'm very particular about my detailing routing and wash it at least twice a week. The day after it's already covered in dust and other summer related bits

It's well polished, waxed etc. the worst is rain and then bright sun, the blue seems to attract water spots!

Anyone got any tips/anything that's working well in terms of keeping yours clean?

Next time I'm definitely going grey - I love the Nardo grey!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 04:08 AM   #2
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Mineral White

There are many fine YouTube sites that can help you with sound advice such as Speccy McSporran, Pan the Detailer, Obsessive Car Detailer to name a very few. Regrettably, I find that the main issue is not cleaning improperly although dark cars are notoriously challenging and show up more marks and swirls than others, but the amount of dust and debris being thrown out of the clouds, especially at this time of year. No sooner have I pre washed, snow foamed, contact washed, decontaminated, polished and then waxed, ceramic coated or hybrid something or other, half the Sahara has dumped its waste over my driveway. That and the pidgeons of course. I currently have a carbon black car where the blue specs only look good in a particular type of sunlight when all the marks also show up, and during the rest of the time it's a bugger to keep clean. I am changing back to a mineral white car hopefully next week or the week after. The car will still be just as mucky but it will look cleaner. Nardo grey - looks great although I doubt you will find it much different. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 04:13 AM   #3
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFats View Post
There are many fine YouTube sites that can help you with sound advice such as Speccy McSporran, Pan the Detailer, Obsessive Car Detailer to name a very few. Regrettably, I find that the main issue is not cleaning improperly although dark cars are notoriously challenging and show up more marks and swirls than others, but the amount of dust and debris being thrown out of the clouds, especially at this time of year. No sooner have I pre washed, snow foamed, contact washed, decontaminated, polished and then waxed, ceramic coated or hybrid something or other, half the Sahara has dumped its waste over my driveway. That and the pidgeons of course. I currently have a carbon black car where the blue specs only look good in a particular type of sunlight when all the marks also show up, and during the rest of the time it's a bugger to keep clean. I am changing back to a mineral white car hopefully next week or the week after. The car will still be just as mucky but it will look cleaner. Nardo grey - looks great although I doubt you will find it much different. Good luck!
Thanks - I will check out those channels as I'm just getting into detailing. It needs a machine polish to get rid of some marring that I'm certain arrived with the car from factory. Getting a detailer to do that as I've not used a machine polisher before and I don't fancy trying it for the first time on my pride and joy.

Glad to hear it's not just me that gets half the sahara all over it. Thankfully less bird poo but there was a few weeks when blossom was falling off a neighbours tree and blowing all over the car - I kept moving it during the day. First world problems I suppose!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 04:19 AM   #4
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Realistically any dirty car will seem so
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #5
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

When I see a Potimao blue G20 on the road they always look
bright and cheerful.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17539.50
      06-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #6
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
When I see a Potimao blue G20 on the road they always look
bright and cheerful.
I've gone from Black to Portimao. The Portimao stays looking much cleaner to me. I also still love the colour.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:50 PM   #7
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Got bored with dark colours. Black 535d e61 was a nightmare. Dark blue (Atlantic Blue) Golf R was always dirty. Got to say Dravit Grey and BMW paint treatment thing seems to hide the dirt well.... so far!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
Got bored with dark colours. Black 535d e61 was a nightmare. Dark blue (Atlantic Blue) Golf R was always dirty. Got to say Dravit Grey and BMW paint treatment thing seems to hide the dirt well.... so far!
One of my neighbours has a Dravit grey BMW.
I think it is a classy colour, but I don’t know whether I would
ever order it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #9
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
One of my neighbours has a Dravit grey BMW.
I think it is a classy colour, but I don’t know whether I would
ever order it myself.
2nd hand - I have an aversion to paying new car prices (even with discounts), so was happy enough with 30% off list with 8k - and it is what it is with colour/options.

As it is, these things being very personal, I absolutely hate the gloss black grill (though does suit dark cars better) and far prefer the Cerium (think I might be in a minority here - actually Cerium doesn't work perfectly on dark colours, but still looks more than OK) which I think suits Dravit quite well.

Last edited by Charlie (Wessex); 06-23-2021 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #10
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e, Morgan Plus 4

Got portimao blue 330e. Lovely colour when clean but looks dirtier after a couple days than my previous silver car looked after a month. Grrrr
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #11
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepointalex View Post
Anyone got a portimao blue G20/G21?

I love my portimao M340i but I'm beginning to think blue is the new black. It's just a nightmare to keep clean.

I'm very particular about my detailing routing and wash it at least twice a week. The day after it's already covered in dust and other summer related bits

It's well polished, waxed etc. the worst is rain and then bright sun, the blue seems to attract water spots!

Anyone got any tips/anything that's working well in terms of keeping yours clean?

Next time I'm definitely going grey - I love the Nardo grey!
Always owned a black car, so pleased I went PB, its a stunning colour
Attached Images

OM3RTA394.00