Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications My car is not a "true" M car?

12-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #45
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

If you've been in a 330i or a loaner it does not feel like the M340 other than visual closeness. I couldn't wait to get my car back . It feels like a different car to the 330.The power and driving experience is pretty drastic
Appreciate 5
      12-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #46
Boostisfun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M340i Xdrive

The “W” in the VIN is just a country origin. The “W” is for Germany. Most NA 3 series now are made in Mexico. Which means they start with “3”. However, the next two characters are designations of the division the vehicle was developed by. The “B” is for Bavarian (as in BMW). The next letter can be subjective to the builder division (M developed for instance).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #47
Boostisfun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An20Olives View Post
The m340i is a very good street car that has great performance. But on paper it does not stack up to actual M cars when looking at handling and top end performance. Just watch any video BMW posted on the new M3/4 and how they made them. They go over so many details on how the car is different from a series car. The chassis of the cars themselves are different they are not the same.

M Performance - Your m340i
- Built by BMW, series car VIN starts with WBA
- M lite
- G20 chassis and B58

M cars - M2/3/4/5/6/8 anything
- Built by M, M car VIN starts with WBS
- Track ready purpose built for handling
- G80 chassis and S58
The “W” in the VIN is just a country origin. The “W” is for Germany. Most NA 3 series now are made in Mexico. Which means they start with “3”. However, the next two characters are designations of the division the vehicle was developed by. The “B” is for Bavarian (as in BMW). The next letter can be subjective to the builder division (M developed for instance).
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #48
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
No, definitely not. But not many "real M" drivers are really out witch hunting M performance cars for "posing" either. The point I'm trying to make is that people who know can tell when something has been added onto the car vs what it came with. BMW is in it to sell cars, and if throwing M badges and styling on a car pushes units, then that's what they'll do. No one likes a try-hard. Just enjoy the car for being a damn good car, not because BMW sold you some extra lettering.
I think there is room to allow people to enjoy the ‘M’ badge even while knowing that you’re not getting the complete product. You are getting a part of it. Most M Performance buyers are fully aware of this.

In my case, this is exactly what I wanted. I don’t have winter tires on my Porsche and I needed an alternative car for daily driving, and my Acura was getting old. So for me, a practical but high performing car was a must. But something like an M3 would’ve been overkill (and my garage would be host to a REALLY intense German rivalry hosting an M3 and a 911!)
There certainly is! The car is there to be enjoyed. Practical with a side of lunacy. The best kind of Jekyll/Hyde complex you can ask for on four wheels. Just when the question gets asked if my car is a true M, it takes some of that fun away in lieu of comparisons and metrics.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:23 AM   #49
BMWM4_SA
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

Having owned the previous gen M4 F82, I can say the M340i has closed the gap with that generation. There is just something different the way the m340i delivers speed. Its one sleeper of note. But then again the new M4 and M3 are on another level.
Appreciate 1
russell21147.00
      01-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #50
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
In the end, it's up to BMW (since they own the brand 'M') what an M car is. Not to some hold outs on the internet.

If BMW is branding this car 'M' on the badge, then that speaks volumes.

Now you can argue that this dilutes 'M' branding, but in the end it is what it is. We all still know that an M3 is the superior car to the M340i in pretty much every performance-related measure....
Bmw branding it an M is pure marketing. You compete with Audi S line and Benz AMG lites. You also attract those who want the fabled badge. That being said, these new M lites are great daily cars.

I recently purchased an x4 M40i coming out of an M4 , and had a m340i loaner. Honestly driven or owned every bmw in the past 12 years. It is safe to say this is not a pure M. From suspension (damping, components, rear subframe, differential, bushings, etc.) to the rawness in the feel (subjective, but sound insulation, shifting etc).

That's not a bad thing and not the intent of M performance. In fact, after owning multiple M's and non, I think M performance cars are the Goldilocks, but there is an inherent softness in them that makes them easier to live with. That is what keeps them distinct from an M.
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2022, 12:58 PM   #51
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Tazmanian View Post
Bmw branding it an M is pure marketing. You compete with Audi S line and Benz AMG lites. You also attract those who want the fabled badge. That being said, these new M lites are great daily cars.

I recently purchased an x4 M40i coming out of an M4 , and had a m340i loaner. Honestly driven or owned every bmw in the past 12 years. It is safe to say this is not a pure M. From suspension (damping, components, rear subframe, differential, bushings, etc.) to the rawness in the feel (subjective, but sound insulation, shifting etc).

That's not a bad thing and not the intent of M performance. In fact, after owning multiple M's and non, I think M performance cars are the Goldilocks, but there is an inherent softness in them that makes them easier to live with. That is what keeps them distinct from an M.
Yeah, and I'm okay with that. I didn't buy my M performance car to be the edgiest, pure sport car experience. I bought it because it has a lot of performance attributes but is also a practical car to live with daily.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #52
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, and I'm okay with that. I didn't buy my M performance car to be the edgiest, pure sport car experience. I bought it because it has a lot of performance attributes but is also a practical car to live with daily.
Same here, perfect all around. Again you have a 911 so that helps
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #53
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Same here, with the bad roads around here after thinking about it it was a good idea to cancel the M3 for my M340i, great performance and awesome daily drivability.

I'm also buying a 2022 BRZ because you get a lot of feeling at low speed and it's so cheap to trash around a track.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 08:59 AM   #54
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
While I really like mine, I would not turn down an M
Oh 100% with you there. I'm happy with the practical choice in vehicle. But if offered an M, I'd take it and run.
When I bought my m340 (August 2019) the M3 was not available yet. It likely my next purchase though
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 01:26 PM   #55
Infamy
underground
Rep
Drives: alpine white 335 E92

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [9.66]
if the M comes before the model number its a true M car
example: M3,M5, M6, M8, M340I
      02-08-2022, 01:43 PM   #56
CATBB1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I bought the M340i strictly for the fact it was a in-line 6 with a turbo. Also it had awd and was the best tunable engine at the time. It seemed like most manufacturers were putting out 4 cylinder with the turbos tuned for maximum hp...and it fit that sweet spot between the 4 cylinder and the M cars....
Appreciate 2
russell21147.00
jpowers36218.00
      02-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #57
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80C,GT4,C4GTS,CT4-BW,MK8

For m340i owners, you can think of your car anyway you want. It’s your car! Who cares what true BMW Mcar owners think. Most M owners are snobs (Remember, I said most and not all). I’ve had E39 M5, E90 M3, F82 M4, F86 X6M. My current stable is F87 M2 LCI, G20 M340i xdrive, 2015 C4 GTS, 2016 GT4. And my M340i is my favorite. It’s definitely fastest out of the four and the most enjoyable to me.
Just enjoy your ride in good health. There will be something faster and better around the corner. By the way, when people ask what my DD is; I tell them it’s a BMW.
Appreciate 2
seccsc239.00
russell21147.00