Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340i MPE (M Performance Exhaust) installed + sound clips

01-02-2022, 09:54 PM   #353
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Everybody is so conscious about how loud cold start is.

But to be honest, that’s my favorite part!

The other time it is loud (when driving over 5000 RPMs) I can’t really hear it that well because I’m driving.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 2
CajunBMW1288.50
Swappy531.50
      01-03-2022, 09:27 AM   #354
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaav View Post
Cold start with the valve open is twice as loud as stock. Depends on where you park(garage, parking deck or outside) as to how much that sound will resonate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psaav View Post
Cold start with the valve open is twice as loud as stock. Depends on where you park(garage, parking deck or outside) as to how much that sound will resonate.
+1

Agreed. It was loud before, it is just a bit louder now. It did not go from quiet to loud.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:16 PM   #355
CarbonRoof
Rep
Drives: m440i

Does it add any kind of additional horsepower and torque? Or is it strictly sound upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:08 PM   #356
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Still waiting

On the dealer to install mine due to all the snowstorms etc here in the greater DC area. Will let you know how it sounds hopefully soon. SMH.
      01-07-2022, 05:06 PM   #357
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonRoof View Post
Does it add any kind of additional horsepower and torque? Or is it strictly sound upgrade.
Sound only.
      01-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #358
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Still waiting

and waiting....For the dealer to install mine due to all the snowstorms etc here in the greater DC area. Will let you know how it sounds hopefully soon. SMH.
      01-08-2022, 12:37 AM   #359
MineralM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 M340xi

Why are people so scared about how loud it is who cares lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:26 AM   #360
CarbonRoof
Rep

Is the MPE louder than Porsche Carrera S (4S) Sport Exhaust? Any model of the last 5-6 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:05 PM   #361
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralM View Post
Why are people so scared about how loud it is who cares lol.
Because our neighbors will not be overly fond of it. See, when I was 22 I care either. When you live in a neighborhood with kids and retirees, you are trying to not be enemy #1...
      01-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #362
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Is the MPE louder than Porsche Carrera S (4S) Sport Exhaust? Any model of the last 5-6 years.
Carbonroof I just got mine and drove it home about two hours ago.
First take......

1) When the dude drove it around the corner I got a big grin on my face because it sounded awesome. DEFinitely a deeper throatier sound. Interesting that so many others have said not that deep. Perhaps, but WAY deeper than stock pipe.
2) No drone on highway which was one of my biggest fears. Especially in Eco mode you can't even tell you have MPE on the car, BUT
3) When you go WFO on the throttle in Sport Plus the sound is loud and glorious and there are a LOT of pops and burbles on the overrun.
Not as loud as 2020 but a perfect sound if you ask me. Should have come on every M340 made.
4) About the same amount of noise as my friend's Porsche Macan GTS with sport pipes. Now at least I can show him mine and not be embarrased like I was last time I saw him.
5) It is CLOSE to being too loud. Sure cold starts will not please my neighbors, but hopefully I won't push them away and get them all pissed off. If it turns out to be a huge issue I kept the stock pipe, but it will be hard to put that back on now after hearing the MPE on this car.
That is my first quick take. Lots of burbles and some pops now, after none with stock pipe.
Ask anything further - I will be glad to answer.
      01-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #363
CarbonRoof
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM340 View Post
First take......

1) When the dude drove it around the corner I got a big grin on my face because it sounded awesome. DEFinitely a deeper throatier sound. Interesting that so many others have said not that deep. Perhaps, but WAY deeper than stock pipe.
2) No drone on highway which was one of my biggest fears. Especially in Eco mode you can't even tell you have MPE on the car, BUT
3) When you go WFO on the throttle in Sport Plus the sound is loud and glorious and there are a LOT of pops and burbles on the overrun.
Not as loud as 2020 but a perfect sound if you ask me. Should have come on every M340 made.
4) About the same amount of noise as my friend's Porsche Macan GTS with sport pipes. Now at least I can show him mine and not be embarrased like I was last time I saw him.
5) It is CLOSE to being too loud. Sure cold starts will not please my neighbors, but hopefully I won't push them away and get them all pissed off. If it turns out to be a huge issue I kept the stock pipe, but it will be hard to put that back on now after hearing the MPE on this car.
That is my first quick take. Lots of burbles and some pops now, after none with stock pipe.
Thank you for taking time and sharing your impressions. The fact that it is generally on par with the Macan GTS and that it does have a deeper tone to it, settles all the questions I had, basically, except for the cold start. I suppose that it is much louder than exhaust of the Macan? I mean the cold start process.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #364
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for taking time and sharing your impressions. The fact that it is generally on par with the Macan GTS and that it does have a deeper tone to it, settles all the questions I had, basically, except for the cold start. I suppose that it is much louder than exhaust of the Macan? I mean the cold start process.
I will let you know tomorrow AM, but as I understand it, you get in the car and prior to starting it you can electrically power it on and then push the eco button to at least have it be mildly quieter. Will start it in AM and let you know...
Anyone that has one chime in - am I correct?
      01-08-2022, 09:50 PM   #365
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I am almost certain that my AWE exhaust is louder than the MPE exhaust

The AWE on my Bimmer sounds like it may be louder than my Porsche sport exhaust. The Porsche exhaust has a deeper rumble at idle and definitely wails fantastically at full throttle, but through most of the range the AWE sounds positively loud and a bit more wicked.

I know that this doesn’t answer your question because you are asking about MPE, but…..I love talking about exhausts so I can’t help myself
Appreciate 2
MBM3401026.00
      01-09-2022, 07:28 AM   #366
CarbonRoof
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I am almost certain that my AWE exhaust is louder than the MPE exhaust

The AWE on my Bimmer sounds like it may be louder than my Porsche sport exhaust. The Porsche exhaust has a deeper rumble at idle and definitely wails fantastically at full throttle, but through most of the range the AWE sounds positively loud and a bit more wicked.

I know that this doesn’t answer your question because you are asking about MPE, but…..I love talking about exhausts so I can’t help myself
The cold start mutes the Porsche I suppose?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 12:47 AM   #367
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Ok it is installed

I actually LOVE the sounds this thing makes (MPE) but it is WAAY louder than stock, and at startup it sounds like a Professional Sportscar...
That's the challenge. I already had a neighbor ask me if I was running a chainsaw or if that was my car, and she was serious.

The other good thing is it pops and burbles on the overrun like mad, and anyone who installed it and doesn't hear that must need something reprogrammed. It sounds AWESOME.

I tried the startup in ECO mode, it doesn't matter, it is still loud as hell.
After it warms up for about three minutes it goes quiet like with the stock pipe....that is good too, but it takes too long to do that.

So ultimately it is so far to me a great add, but I would change the db level down about three notches at startup.

Questions?
Oh yeah, no drone, but louder than stock when just driving, but not annoying.
      02-05-2022, 09:23 PM   #368
tester2011
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Can someone help me compare the M Performance exhaust for the M340i vs the 340i. Is the M340i louder?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 09:56 PM   #369
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive Alpine W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tester2011 View Post
Can someone help me compare the M Performance exhaust for the M340i vs the 340i. Is the M340i louder?

Thanks
I would assume the the gen 1 b58 340 is louder (stock)
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      02-09-2022, 08:53 AM   #370
jp0319
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:

The other time it is loud (when driving over 5000 RPMs) I can’t really hear it that well because I’m driving.
I have a 22 M340i xDrive on order and added the MPE to the order, largely due to complaints I've read on here about the changes between the 2020 and 2021 exhaust being toned down. I've had loud exhausts before with a heavily modified GTI and Golf R with 3" Turbo Back, and Mustangs with Flowmasters. I think the MPE will be a perfect happy medium between sound and class. I want the car to sound muscular but not be overbearing.

I'm more worried about waking up my wife when I get going at 6 am... The garage is adjacent to our bedroom and I park closest to the bedroom and back in of course. So the "business end" of the MPE will be pointed that way
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:55 PM   #371
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive Alpine W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0319 View Post
Quote:

I have a 22 M340i xDrive on order and added the MPE to the order, largely due to complaints I've read on here about the changes between the 2020 and 2021 exhaust being toned down. I've had loud exhausts before with a heavily modified GTI and Golf R with 3" Turbo Back, and Mustangs with Flowmasters. I think the MPE will be a perfect happy medium between sound and class. I want the car to sound muscular but not be overbearing.

I'm more worried about waking up my wife when I get going at 6 am... The garage is adjacent to our bedroom and I park closest to the bedroom and back in of course. So the "business end" of the MPE will be pointed that way
MPE is just a tad bit louder. All it is a different muffler that's all.

I remember back in the day you could add MPPSK which was a M-Performance exhaust with a burble/crackle tune for $3k. I pretty sure they still sell it for the old 340i and 440i.
Appreciate 2
jp031962.00
Swappy531.50
      04-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #372
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Got the M Performance Exhaust installed today and wow there is no doubting that this is different from the stock M340i exhaust. Everyone says that videos don't do it justice and that's very true. Cold starts (even warm starts) are really loud! It settles down after a minute or two. Even starting in comfort is super loud...but a good loud (maybe not to my neighbors but meh). Driving in comfort you can still tell that there's something different from the stock exhaust but it's not as noticeable. Sport is much louder and definitely more pops and bangs compared to stock. At this point you absolutely know you a driving a car with an upgraded exhaust. Now put it in Sport Plus and geez! The grunts on fast up shifts, the amount of pops, bangs, and the odd really loud shotgun sounding gunshot is pretty crazy. The down shifts are filled with deep burbles and pops as well. Even as you are creeping along to a stop at a light it burbles and pops all the way until you stop regardless of how smooth and slow you pull up to a light (can be a little embarrassing if you aren't used to aftermarket exhausts).

I freaking love it! I will say however, a lot of people say this is how the M340i should have come from the factory...I gotta disagree on that. It's very aggressive and would most likely turn off half the buyers of this car (ones that aren't on here lol). But for many of enthusiasts, it's a brilliant upgrade. 10 out of 10.

I disagree… if they’re marketing this an m performance it should come with the performance gear!

Or just create a separate 340 Touring track for the Toyota/Lexus converts.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #373
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
I disagree… if they’re marketing this an m performance it should come with the performance gear!

Or just create a separate 340 Touring track for the Toyota/Lexus converts.
Ok
      04-29-2022, 11:47 AM   #374
GTPR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM340 View Post
First take......

how much did it cost to install from the dealer?
Appreciate 0