Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Need guidance on setup

01-25-2022, 06:01 PM   #1
xsiv24
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Luxury

Need guidance on setup

Guys, could really use some help here as I'm quite a newbie to the B48.
I recently took ownership of a G20 320i (2.0litre B48 engine). It came with a M Performance exhaust, drop in filter (brand unsure) and a 200 CELL downpipe, running BM3. It also has a DTE Pedalbox which for reasons I will explain later, I set at Sports (-3) setting.

The problem I am facing is that the drivability at low speeds is almost impossible. I could just breathe on the accelerator pedal and the car jumps forward, making traffic jam style traffic almost unbearable. It's like wayyy too responsive. Deceleration at low speeds is also unbearably jerky.

The DTE at Sports(-3) seems to help a bit - Havent tried City mode though.

My questions:
1. I have a VSRF catless downpipe waiting to be installed. Will this help to reduce the backpressure?
2. Will a MST open-pod air filter make any difference?
3. Should i just remove the DTE pedalbox altogether and trust the hardware setup?

Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:40 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

If I were you, I'd remove the pedal box and see how the car behaves after. A tune and the other hardware mods shouldn't make your throttle that twitchy.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:44 PM   #3
xsiv24
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
If I were you, I'd remove the pedal box and see how the car behaves after. A tune and the other hardware mods shouldn't make your throttle that twitchy.
Yes i think I'm going to try that later this afternoon. Thanks buddy. Any advice about the MST filter tho? Bang for buck?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Probably the pedal box.

the intake will get the car to sound better and maybe add a few HP, wont make any difference in throttle sensitivity

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsiv24 View Post
Yes i think I'm going to try that later this afternoon. Thanks buddy. Any advice about the MST filter tho? Bang for buck?
Depends on how much it costs. All a CAI does is make the turbo spool sound prominent. Whether it adds extra HP is debatable. I had one in my A4 and I swore it made more power. But when I took it off at lease turn in and drove the car, I realised it felt the same save for the car being quiet. No noticeable power change with and without the CAI.
I like the sound but I would never spend 1000s of USDs on one. It depends on your choice and how much you're willing to spend for the extra sound.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 04:17 AM   #6
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Depends on how much it costs. All a CAI does is make the turbo spool sound prominent. Whether it adds extra HP is debatable. I had one in my A4 and I swore it made more power. But when I took it off at lease turn in and drove the car, I realised it felt the same save for the car being quiet. No noticeable power change with and without the CAI.
I like the sound but I would never spend 1000s of USDs on one. It depends on your choice and how much you're willing to spend for the extra sound.
Considering my stock air filter hasn’t been cleaned for almost 60k miles and tuned for over 40k miles, my recently installed Armaspeed CAI definitely gave me more power. If your filter is clean, the difference is probably negligible since the CAI install on KiesMotorsports Channel dyno yielded negative gains But the power gain definitely does not come from the cone intake itself, but that because it is a CAI, it consistently provides you with most power even after multiple pulls, it keeps the engine cooler on average.

No drowning out because the IAT is too high after a long drive. In this sense, it is no doubt giving you the illusion your car is faster.

That being said, with a tune and a CAI, the car can be considerably faster, considering the intake piping diameter is bigger than stock, there is definitely more volume of air getting to the engine at once as compared to stock.

All depends. On stock tune, I doubt a CAI would make much a difference besides in sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 07:26 AM   #7
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Get rid of the pedal box. This type of device is used on economy cars with electric throttle actuators to make them feel like they have more low speed power. It is not needed in a BMW.

The box just changes the throttle actuation so it is no longer linear and matched to the pedal position. You move the pedal a little and it moves the throttle on the engine a lot more. In its worst setting the pedal becomes almost an on/off switch as you press down.
Appreciate 0