Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Keeping the exhaust valve open?

01-01-2022, 05:30 AM   #45
takeachillpil
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i M Sport xDrive

Getting a 2022 330i M Sport in April. Will it have some sort of burbles? Will be a lease and I have no idea what I can or can not do to the car. If anyone has advice I'd love to gain some more knowledge. Thx everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:32 AM   #46
chim46
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330E

Quote:
Originally Posted by chim46 View Post
Hey guys,
New here and very happy with my 330e. feels like a party every time i go inside the car.
i have coding some ambi lights and it wordks great but still cannot get the valve open to enjoy more nice sound of the engine. i saw some you tube but no one had a 330e
would love to get some info or hoe to do.
Thxx

Any one knows maybe how to open the valve on a 330E?
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #47
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunll2001 View Post
Just did it today too!, did you use electrical tape on both ends of the plugs? That's what I did today, though I feel like there need to be a better solution than just the tape. I see your location is in Canada so I'm assuming lots of snow? Do you think the tape is fine for the weather there?
I just received my dummy flap actuator to plug the flap cable into. It has a capacitor in it, probably to stop error codes popping up
Attached Images

Last edited by Paul Moran; 01-05-2022 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: To put one more photo in
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #48
Paul Moran
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Moran View Post
I just received my dummy flap actuator to plug the flap cable into. It has a capacitor in it, probably to stop error codes popping up
I still feel after fitting the dummy flap actuator it will have to be taped up as the capacitor side looks a little vulnerable to water. And we get big floods here in Spain when it rarely rains
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #49
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,
New here and very happy with my 330e. feels like a party every time i go inside the car.
i have coding some ambi lights and it wordks great but still cannot get the valve open to enjoy more nice sound of the engine. i saw some you tube but no one had a 330e
Thxx

Get yourself BimmerLink (not BimmerCode), Exhaust flap open constantly at a touch of a button
      02-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #50
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,
Thxx

Get yourself BimmerLink (not BimmerCode), Exhaust flap open constantly at a touch of a button
I used bimmerlink to open valve, turn engine off, pulled the fuse.. forever open. Has background error message but doesnt trigger anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 12:07 AM   #51
nonMg20
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i (xline), 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBarny View Post
I have the same mate, my mates July 330i sounds ace but my October build 330i sounds shit no burbles either
I spoke to someone at my dealer, and they claimed more of their 330i's had a crappy exhaust note than others.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 09:08 AM   #52
Oxidgrey_bmw_g21
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Xdrive

Possible to code this with bimmercode.

You get a setting in the car setting menu.

Engine sound.
Then you get 4 choices.
1. Depending of the driving mode
2 sport. (Open all the time)
3 balanced (partly Open???)
4 closed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 11:21 AM   #53
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeachillpil View Post
Getting a 2022 330i M Sport in April. Will it have some sort of burbles? Will be a lease and I have no idea what I can or can not do to the car. If anyone has advice I'd love to gain some more knowledge. Thx everyone!
My 2019 has very light pops and burbles when in sport mode compare to an M340i of course, but with the new regulation these days and how they are muting down the exhaust notes I would say if you want anything worthy, you'll need to get an M performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:58 PM   #54
Bernina5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
If you have a jb4 and hold the BC for 3 seconds it will open the flap (your turning signals will flash on the dash to the left side i believe which means its open)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #55
nms1s
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i xDrive

Just a quick tip for anyone who doesn't like half-assing things and would prefer to get things done in a better fashion.
I've had mine unplugged for a long time now but I had to come up with a better solution than taping the male end to my bumper and calling it a day like some Youtube videos show. Firstly, this leaves the female end completely exposed which defeats the purpose of taping the male one in the first place, and secondly, I'm very skeptical on how good of a job a scotch tape is gonna do in holding a connector glued to your metal bumper in the long run.
I decided instead to buy some heat shrink tubing from Home Depot which cost me 5 bucks and 10 minutes of my time and it was well worth it, as it resolved all the problems I had with the tape method.

All you have to do is cut a piece of that tubing short enough so that your could fit the male connector from one end, and the female connector from the other, while leaving them unplugged. Then apply heat to the tubing which will seal both ends of the connector together, leaving no room for dirt or water to enter. This also holds the connector together very well, completely eliminating the need to tape it to your bumper.
I'll attach a photo of what it looks like currently after about 8 months. The sound is much better for me especially with the cold starts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-17-2022, 05:42 AM   #56
stuart675
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms1s View Post
Just a quick tip for anyone who doesn't like half-assing things and would prefer to get things done in a better fashion.
I've had mine unplugged for a long time now but I had to come up with a better solution than taping the male end to my bumper and calling it a day like some Youtube videos show. Firstly, this leaves the female end completely exposed which defeats the purpose of taping the male one in the first place, and secondly, I'm very skeptical on how good of a job a scotch tape is gonna do in holding a connector glued to your metal bumper in the long run.
I decided instead to buy some heat shrink tubing from Home Depot which cost me 5 bucks and 10 minutes of my time and it was well worth it, as it resolved all the problems I had with the tape method.

All you have to do is cut a piece of that tubing short enough so that your could fit the male connector from one end, and the female connector from the other, while leaving them unplugged. Then apply heat to the tubing which will seal both ends of the connector together, leaving no room for dirt or water to enter. This also holds the connector together very well, completely eliminating the need to tape it to your bumper.
I'll attach a photo of what it looks like currently after about 8 months. The sound is much better for me especially with the cold starts.
Took your lead and also used heatshrink (34mm flat width 2:1 for anyone interested).
Definitely one of the cleanest ways of doing it that I've seen.
I also taped up the male end and the pushed it back in just enough so that it was snug but not making contact (why i also taped it up).
Tie wrap around the cable just so that if it does come loose it doesn't drag
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #57
Tzeunis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Just did it also. Bought BimmerLink, opened the flap and disconnected.

After that I closed the male connector with 3 layers of electrical tape and stuck it back into the female connector. This is very secure and won’t come loose.

The shrinking tube is nicer and better, but was not available at my DIY garage.

Sound of my 330e M Sport is more sportier now; little bit louder but not to much. Love this mod.

Now onto the coding with BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 10:07 PM   #58
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Noob question. How do you unplug the connector? Does the car have to be raised on lifts? Are there any errors/CELs on the dashboard/MMI?
Bimmerlink can also do this
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #59
Alpine430i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 430i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciseyyc View Post
Get it open in sport mode. Unplug valve. Tape end to
Protect it. Done
Did the same and fits my needs!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 12:20 PM   #60
g20_wumbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I unplugged mine, wrapped the connector in electrical tape and plugged it back in. Makes no connection and it stays protected from the elements. I found someone on here that did the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #61
dmunozj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxidgrey_bmw_g21 View Post
Possible to code this with bimmercode.

You get a setting in the car setting menu.

Engine sound.
Then you get 4 choices.
1. Depending of the driving mode
2 sport. (Open all the time)
3 balanced (partly Open???)
4 closed
Does this work with idrive 8???
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 06:07 AM   #62
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I would also be interested in the specifics of how to code this dash display with choices, using with BimmerCode on a 2021 M340i.

I’ve made a few simple changes with BimmerCode (turned off ASS, etc.), but not gotten into the settings very deeply.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 02:19 PM   #63
skylarsarti
sky
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xdrive

Garage List
I coded mine in bimmercode to stay open and I also coded for my car to always start in sport mode and i disabled auto start stop. Bimmercode is super nice to have just be careful if you’re going into expert mode. I use vlinker for the obd adapter. YouTube is your friend!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 09:20 PM   #64
dmunozj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarsarti View Post
I coded mine in bimmercode to stay open and I also coded for my car to always start in sport mode and i disabled auto start stop. Bimmercode is super nice to have just be careful if you’re going into expert mode. I use vlinker for the obd adapter. YouTube is your friend!
Could you please send instructions or how did you code it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 06:00 AM   #65
9inetouring
Touring Guy
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e | G21 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarsarti View Post
Bimmercode its just awesome, but its somewhat limited in iDrive8 (lets believe they'll improve). I know that a 330 with iDrive7, you could easily keep the valve open with bimmercode, but with iDrive8 you just can't. You have to use Bimmerlink everytime you get to the car and open it via app, or just unplugging the cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 10:09 PM   #66
Black_330e
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e

Garage List
2023 BMW 330e  [9.00]
Does anyone know if you unplug the exhaust valve does it throw a check engine light? I heard one person say it put their car in limp mode.
Appreciate 0