Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Anti-dazzle coding on Laser?

10-31-2020, 10:30 AM   #199
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Remember to fdl code flm modules as well.

I think you missed some bdc codes too.

I have coded on g20, g05, g07, and g12... They work well.
I manually ran a diff on FLM between US and ECE when I was on 2019.07 and the only changes were around the side markers being off and lower voltages (IIRC) for dimmer turn indicators. I ran diffs om BDC body too, as well as other members and 1DF8 seemed to be the only one with changes relevant to NGHB. (Page 7 is where data started coming together)

Some members reported basic functionality just by changing 2 BDC 1DF8 FDLs
C_HBA_DIM_ENA --> enable
C_HBA_GFHB_ENA --> enable
Just these values cause the lights to not be fully effective though as they turn off a lot, but for bimmercode users it might be at least a small improvement over not having it at all (if they cannot access the other values for some reason).

With that said my FDL codes so far do enable the functionality, but I have yet to get out of the city to do thorough testing as before. If they don't seem as consistent as before after testing I will run more diffs on FLM amd BDC to verify with 2020.07

EDIT
I just compared all BDC, KAFAS, FLM, and HU_MGU CAFDs between my 07.2020 factory and 07.2020 with no 5AP FAs. The only 2 changes when you remove 5AP are in BDC 1DF8 which are listed above. This is what a lot of members have done and posted video of earlier in this thread. They have full tunneling with just these changes. The only issue I noticed when I had only VO coded on 07.2019 was that the NGHB turned off more than they should have. After making the additional KAFAS and BDC changes from my cheat codes (which were from ECE vs US comparisons) the NGHB was not turning off due to reflectors, signs, and street lamps nearly as often. Other people noted the same improvements with just these changes.

Last edited by siegester; 10-31-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
A6bullet336.00
      11-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #200
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
I manually ran a diff on FLM between US and ECE when I was on 2019.07 and the only changes were around the side markers being off and lower voltages (IIRC) for dimmer turn indicators. I ran diffs om BDC body too, as well as other members and 1DF8 seemed to be the only one with changes relevant to NGHB. (Page 7 is where data started coming together)

Some members reported basic functionality just by changing 2 BDC 1DF8 FDLs
C_HBA_DIM_ENA --> enable
C_HBA_GFHB_ENA --> enable
Just these values cause the lights to not be fully effective though as they turn off a lot, but for bimmercode users it might be at least a small improvement over not having it at all (if they cannot access the other values for some reason).

With that said my FDL codes so far do enable the functionality, but I have yet to get out of the city to do thorough testing as before. If they don't seem as consistent as before after testing I will run more diffs on FLM amd BDC to verify with 2020.07

EDIT
I just compared all BDC, KAFAS, FLM, and HU_MGU CAFDs between my 07.2020 factory and 07.2020 with no 5AP FAs. The only 2 changes when you remove 5AP are in BDC 1DF8 which are listed above. This is what a lot of members have done and posted video of earlier in this thread. They have full tunneling with just these changes. The only issue I noticed when I had only VO coded on 07.2019 was that the NGHB turned off more than they should have. After making the additional KAFAS and BDC changes from my cheat codes (which were from ECE vs US comparisons) the NGHB was not turning off due to reflectors, signs, and street lamps nearly as often. Other people noted the same improvements with just these changes.
I saw more differences.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #201
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

https://youtu.be/da8M-TbOskI

Hey all,
So after many months of trying to get this to work, its finally done.

I want to give r33_RGSport a huge shout out. Excellent service and really patient with me and the super long distance connection.

Before anyone asks, I have a NA car in Germany through diplomatic sales.
The reactivation of antidazzle is a fucking must. The NA auto high beams are trash. The high beams just blast out light indiscriminately and just blind everyone because they are super slow to detect oncoming cars. GARBAGE. The highs also reflect off the signs on the autobahn and completely blind you.

With the antidazzle (herein referring to EU functionality) enabled, the low beams become very dynamic, they aim lower and wider at low speeds. They definitely move more with steering input.

The high beams have a way better beam pattern and avoids "splashing" outside of the road. The AUTO function is very sensitive to car lights, truck lights, sideway cars and reflectors. Its not 100% perfect, but its almost there. On the highway, the high beams are very focused on the road ahead and the left side dips. On a double lane road this means you will not blind traffic in the opposite direction before the anti dazzle kicks in.

Ive been trying to get a video of them in action but have failed miserably. Today there was some fog and took a video with the phone. Ignore the light flickering and wobblyness. I think its the image stabilization.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 3
      11-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #202
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
https://youtu.be/da8M-TbOskI

Hey all,
So after many months of trying to get this to work, its finally done.

I want to give r33_RGSport a huge shout out. Excellent service and really patient with me and the super long distance connection.

Before anyone asks, I have a NA car in Germany through diplomatic sales.
The reactivation of antidazzle is a fucking must. The NA auto high beams are trash. The high beams just blast out light indiscriminately and just blind everyone because they are super slow to detect oncoming cars. GARBAGE. The highs also reflect off the signs on the autobahn and completely blind you.

With the antidazzle (herein referring to EU functionality) enabled, the low beams become very dynamic, they aim lower and wider at low speeds. They definitely move more with steering input.

The high beams have a way better beam pattern and avoids "splashing" outside of the road. The AUTO function is very sensitive to car lights, truck lights, sideway cars and reflectors. Its not 100% perfect, but its almost there. On the highway, the high beams are very focused on the road ahead and the left side dips. On a double lane road this means you will not blind traffic in the opposite direction before the anti dazzle kicks in.

Ive been trying to get a video of them in action but have failed miserably. Today there was some fog and took a video with the phone. Ignore the light flickering and wobblyness. I think its the image stabilization.
Thank you for the shoutout.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #203
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
I thought there was a post about anti-dazzle being approved in the US recently, and maybe even suggestions a software update was enabling the feature in US cars?

Was I misinterpreting the posts or is this true?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #204
phayze
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If no-dazzle high-beam assistance is installed, the high-beam headlights are not switched off for oncoming vehicles or vehicles driving ahead of you; instead, the areas of the beam that would otherwise dazzle the oncoming traffic or traffic driving ahead are masked off.

The above is from the manual. From what i understand, does this mean if you have “Decoding for No-dazzle high beam assistance” (5AP), high beam is not switch off and will be masked off to prevent dazzle on oncoming traffic or traffic driving ahead?

Last edited by phayze; 12-26-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #205
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayze View Post
If no-dazzle high-beam assistance is installed, the high-beam headlights are not switched off for oncoming vehicles or vehicles driving ahead of you; instead, the areas of the beam that would otherwise dazzle the oncoming traffic or traffic driving ahead are masked off.

The above is from the manual. From what i understand, does this mean if you have “Decoding for No-dazzle high beam assistance” (5AP), high beam is not switch off and will be masked off to prevent dazzle on oncoming traffic or traffic driving ahead?
Decoding means removal. So, rather than dynamic light beam, you get two-stage system of either (full) on or off.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #206
phayze
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ohh, understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Decoding means removal. So, rather than dynamic light beam, you get two-stage system of either (full) on or off.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 03:17 AM   #207
NFB
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayze View Post
Ohh, understand. Thanks for the clarification.
Anti-Dazzle = Selective Beam or are we talking about something different?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #208
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Just a thought.

If the NHTSA approved Toyota's request for Automatic Dimming Beams as per an earlier post, why doesn't BMW NA either recall our cars and do the decoding or do so via one of the OTA software updates, allegedly targeted by VIN, which has the SALAPA, options list.

Oh well, think I'll get on this shortly

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #209
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFB View Post
Anti-Dazzle = Selective Beam or are we talking about something different?
Yes, selective beam/anti-glare/no glare/etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 10:58 PM   #210
BlueOnBlue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
A little late to this party, but am I reading right (I read the whole thread)

That doing this change now will lock-out a module and cause problems?

Specifically the KAFAS4 portion

Or is that only for the G16 , not G20 series?

I'm interested in trying this coding along with the others I've done so far, but don't want to pooch my car!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 02:03 AM   #211
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I saw more differences.
Curious what the verdict is on this with siegester published FDL codes vs VO coding out the 5AP?

I've been FDL coding and am familiar with it, never VO. But VO looks pretty straightforward from other posts, so if you think that is the most compatible option for this feature then that's what I plan to do.

Thanks!

Got updated to: 11/2020.45
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 03:26 AM   #212
sundevils96734
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i

Quote:
Yes, selective beam/anti-glare/no glare/etc.

Almaretto I just bought a 2021 M340i with the Executive Package which includes the laser lights.

Would you be able to remotely enable the Anti-Dazzle High Beams and Variable Light Distribution? I already have the OBD to ethernet cable. Please email me at sundevils96734@gmail.com to discuss schedule and payment options.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:29 AM   #213
NFB
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevils96734 View Post
Almaretto I just bought a 2021 M340i with the Executive Package which includes the laser lights.

Would you be able to remotely enable the Anti-Dazzle High Beams and Variable Light Distribution? I already have the OBD to ethernet cable. Please email me at sundevils96734@gmail.com to discuss schedule and payment options.

Thanks!
SInce this is a US thread, not sure if it then relates, but are there any explaination as to why Selective Beam only is available with the Laserlight option? Are their HW related issues, like the KAFAS4 which is not std. or is it purely coding?
On a sidenote, I had the official local BMW deal retrofit the Laserlight instead of the std non adaptive Leds and there were some issues with selective beam not working, and some troubleshooting and contact to BMW Germany it was located to a faulty KAFAS4 which had to be replaced next week, hopefully that will work then.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #214
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhcobywankenobi View Post
Curious what the verdict is on this with siegester published FDL codes vs VO coding out the 5AP?

I've been FDL coding and am familiar with it, never VO. But VO looks pretty straightforward from other posts, so if you think that is the most compatible option for this feature then that's what I plan to do.

Thanks!

Got updated to: 11/2020.45
I would VO code as my FDL are based on 07/2020 and there could be changes between the 2 versions
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #215
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Just a thought.

If the NHTSA approved Toyota's request for Automatic Dimming Beams as per an earlier post, why doesn't BMW NA either recall our cars and do the decoding or do so via one of the OTA software updates, allegedly targeted by VIN, which has the SALAPA, options list.

BMW is a company designed to make money and this would cost them money. They can just advertise it as a new feature for MY22 or whatever and people unfamiliar with coding would be further tempted to upgrade to a newer car, thus making them more money. Or if they lock us out of coding, we'd have no choice but to upgrade to get the feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOnBlue View Post

I'm interested in trying this coding along with the others I've done so far, but don't want to pooch my car!
I haven't heard of anyone being locked out on the G20 yet
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #216
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Just a thought.

BMW is a company designed to make money and this would cost them money. They can just advertise it as a new feature for MY22 or whatever and people unfamiliar with coding would be further tempted to upgrade to a newer car, thus making them more money. Or if they lock us out of coding, we'd have no choice but to upgrade to get the feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOnBlue View Post

I haven't heard of anyone being locked out on the G20 yet
Unfortunately this is very likely the case based on prior experience with them. A long time ago they would perform retrofits at the dealership. This kind of closed the gap a bit between new car purchases, but it slowly dwindled away to nothing. They probably had more headaches with additional warranty or training etc.

Now they simply don't "upgrade" the car with configuration defaults to give us all the same features even though the hardware is the same.

I can understand if the hardware was different, we've grown accustomed to companies like Apple who upgrade their hardware and thus eventually it goes into obsolescence. This is due to them wanting to demonstrate similar experiential quality standards for the OS, Apps and such between the newer devices and legacy hardware.

As a side note, I got my car back from the dealership, they were supposed to fix the seat heater that was no longer coming on during remote start by updating it to the latest 11/2020.45 software. It turns out that didn't fix it and regressed the "automatic habits" to no longer have the "heat steering wheel" option when below a certain temperature...this was added, without coding, in the OTA 07/2020.85 update *smh*
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #217
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I would VO code as my FDL are based on 07/2020 and there could be changes between the 2 versions
I successfully coded anti-dazzle by removing 5AP and as reported by others the only changes were:
BDC [1DF8]
C_HBA_DIM_ENA: disable [00] -> C_HBA_DIM_ENA: enable [01]
C_HBA_GFHB_ENA: disable [00] -> C_HBA_GFHB_ENA: enable [01]

It's not dark yet so I have not been on a test drive yet to fully verify.

There are quite a number of changes in your posted cheat codes, are all those needed in comparison to what others have updated in FDL?
Specifically:
FDL Code the following in Kafas 40F9:
COUNTRY_VARIATION Europe_RC [01]
C_FLA_BS_ENTER_THRESH Rest of world [03]
C_FLA_BS_EXIT_THRESH: Rest of world [02]

I was also a bit confused about what the 'Independent Turn Signals" does as well, this is quite a few changes.

I've attached the cheat codes that were not set on my car even after removing 5AP (US Spec 2019 G20 SW at 11.2020.45).

Thanks!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #218
BlueOnBlue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I successfully coded anti-dazzle by removing 5AP and as reported by others the only changes were:
BDC [1DF8]

There are quite a number of changes in your posted cheat codes, are all those needed in comparison to what others have updated in FDL?
Specifically:

I was also a bit confused about what the 'Independent Turn Signals" does as well, this is quite a few changes.

I've attached the cheat codes that were not set on my car even after removing 5AP (US Spec 2019 G20 SW at 11.2020.45).

Thanks!!
I will count myself in the same boat.

I also did VO coded out 5AP as noted, and applied the various coding to the the 3-4 ECU modules indicated

I also went ahead and did the FDL coding :

But as you said have not had a chance to test it out as it was daytime, it's quite dark now so I will take it out soon and give it a spin!

But, yes the cheat codes listed LOADS of things to change that I believe are simply 'tweaks' to make the beams smarter... i've had a horrible time getting the cheat codes to show up in Xsys so have been doing it all manually by hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #219
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
BDC [1DF8]

Specifically:

Thanks!!
Setting the two HBA to enable will turn on the functionality. A few of us have found that the behavior of the functionality is better with the additional tweaks. Without the tweaks, the high beams were turning off fully rather than adapting quite frequently, like the were being overly cautious. Now they stay on and adapt a lot more without blinding traffic still. YMMV

Independent turn signals means the rear brake lights no longer flash with the rear indicators on US specced models. There are likely a few extraneous changes there, but I haven't heard of anyone doing a deep dive into testing/verifying them all. A number of people run those changes without issue (myself included), so I am not sure if/when more research will take place.

Also, always make sure the cheat code versions match your software version as things move/change frequently between versions. I had to redo and research quite a few of mine after the 07/2020 update.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #220
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Setting the two HBA to enable will turn on the functionality. A few of us have found that the behavior of the functionality is better with the additional tweaks. Without the tweaks, the high beams were turning off fully rather than adapting quite frequently, like the were being overly cautious. Now they stay on and adapt a lot more without blinding traffic still. YMMV

Independent turn signals means the rear brake lights no longer flash with the rear indicators on US specced models. There are likely a few extraneous changes there, but I haven't heard of anyone doing a deep dive into testing/verifying them all. A number of people run those changes without issue (myself included), so I am not sure if/when more research will take place.

Also, always make sure the cheat code versions match your software version as things move/change frequently between versions. I had to redo and research quite a few of mine after the 07/2020 update.
Ok, that makes a lot of sense, during the test drive I noticed the high beams did turn on/off quite often especially on side streets.

Btw, does the "auto high beam" button do anything or need to even be enabled?

I'll modify with the values you modified to see if there is a difference thanks again!
Appreciate 0