Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Bimmercode cable or adapter?

01-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #45
bluefish7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Bimmercode is only for Android still, correct? Looking for the best ios solution and I'm hearing Carly might be it? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikmuny View Post
Hi, i had Esys OBD II cable already. After seeing your post here, i got tempted to try coding using Ethernet Adapter. I ordered Ugreen Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.
Once i received it, i tried to connect it to my car using Xiaomi Mi6 rooted Phone. But i am getting Connection error.
What can i do ? where is the problem ? i tried all the options in Bimmercode app ENET canle, mhd Black/orange... no use

Is it because i didnt buy the Products from above 2 links ? i can see the both the lights in Ethernet socket blink when i connect the cable to my car. but even then i am getting connection error.

Any help would be highly appreicated.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:11 PM   #46
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

You get Bimmercode for iPhones too.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #47
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Has anyone managed to get on the BimmerCode beta recently?

Tried emailing but no reply?
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #48
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Hi, i had Esys OBD II cable already. After seeing your post here, i got tempted to try coding using Ethernet Adapter. I ordered Ugreen Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.
Once i received it, i tried to connect it to my car using Xiaomi Mi6 rooted Phone. But i am getting Connection error.
What can i do ? where is the problem ? i tried all the options in Bimmercode app ENET canle, mhd Black/orange... no use

Is it because i didnt buy the Products from above 2 links ? i can see the both the lights in Ethernet socket blink when i connect the cable to my car. but even then i am getting connection error.

Any help would be highly appreicated.
Sorry for delayed reply not been on much.

Have you done the Static IP settings on your phone under Ethernet Settings? If your phone is capable of setting a static IP it should work, if you can't make a static IP then it won't work. I couldnt do it with my Huwaei phone, just a Samsung tablet
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #49
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedeejay View Post
Sorry for delayed reply not been on much.

Have you done the Static IP settings on your phone under Ethernet Settings? If your phone is capable of setting a static IP it should work, if you can't make a static IP then it won't work. I couldnt do it with my Huwaei phone, just a Samsung tablet
Its ok. i already bought the modBMW WiFi ENET Adapter myself. Its really good and very fast.
I recommend those who have difficulty in getting this Enet Cable to work with Bimmercode try this WiFi Adapter from modBMW. its very reasonable and Function is super and lightning fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:28 AM   #50
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Its ok. i already bought the modBMW WiFi ENET Adapter myself. Its really good and very fast.
I recommend those who have difficulty in getting this Enet Cable to work with Bimmercode try this WiFi Adapter from modBMW. its very reasonable and Function is super and lightning fast.
Fair enough
From what I gathered only Google phones and Samsung have proper ethernet settings to do a static IP to get cable option to work
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 08:18 AM   #51
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Hi,

When coding with Bimmercode, I have switched to ENet cable with an Anker LAN to USB-C adapter; and, as many have already commented, it is lightning fast compared to either its use with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter or even E-Sys.

Yesterday, after getting my car back from a service that included a software update, I set up to code the items I had previously coded and discovered something that I'd like to pass along. A few days ago, I got a Bimmercode App update from the Google Play store; of course, all that really is a shortcut that has the app update its coding info just as you connect to the car. Here's the rub. For some reason with ENet cable & adapter, it couldn't receive the update. After 3 attempts, I grabbed my Bluetooth OBDII adapter and plugged it into OBDII; then opened Bimmercode app and tapped on CONNECT. App updated perfectly. I then disconnected and reconnected the cable adapter and went about my coding without a hitch.

BTW, the software update was for version 07/2020.45. Interestingly, it now includes as Climate rules/Habits the automatic steering wheel heating and river's seat heating that we had to code until now -- among several other good things, like Drive Recorder, Android Auto, tail lights included in DRL (please see Android Auto thread).

Hope that helps!

Hey ! I was trying to code my 2021 330i yesterday with a Ethernet cable and lighting adapter , however it wasn’t connecting to my car . I’m pretty sure i followed all the right steps but still got no luck.. So I thought the Ethernet cable wasn’t going to work and was planning on ordered those WiFi obd, but now that I’m reading everyone’s post. Most suggested using a Ethernet cable for strong connection. And since I already spent money on the cable I really want this to work. I don’t know why bimmercode isn’t able to read my car with the Ethernet cable , if there’s any advice please let me know. Was trying to code in sports plus mode. Thank you for ur time!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #52
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
g20_shub ,

First off, after that post I figured out two things:
* First, I had been using the incorrect connection. Rather than ENet, I had been using MHD BLACK (which interfered with update to phone-- no broadband or Wi-Fi)
* I didn't have all settings for ENet correct
After getting that straight, Cable with LAN connection & OBDII connection on either end, along with LAN to USB-C (I have Samsung phone) works great -- beaucoup faster & reliable. Additionally, I use same cable when I go E-Sys

BTW, occasionally, though I think the cable is on OBDII port on car, it's not making full contact-- just remember to push cable firmly & uniformly onto car's OBDII port

I use an Anker LAN to USB-C adapter that I got on Amazon.

Hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #53
phayze
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi,

Did you set to airplane mode before you connect the cable to your phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20_shub View Post
Hey ! I was trying to code my 2021 330i yesterday with a Ethernet cable and lighting adapter , however it wasn’t connecting to my car . I’m pretty sure i followed all the right steps but still got no luck.. So I thought the Ethernet cable wasn’t going to work and was planning on ordered those WiFi obd, but now that I’m reading everyone’s post. Most suggested using a Ethernet cable for strong connection. And since I already spent money on the cable I really want this to work. I don’t know why bimmercode isn’t able to read my car with the Ethernet cable , if there’s any advice please let me know. Was trying to code in sports plus mode. Thank you for ur time!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:00 AM   #54
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

I had repeatedly problems to connect BimmerLink and BimmerCode with my MHD ENET (black) (I use WiFi), until I used this connection sequence.
Now it works every time. (Car is G22 2021 model.):
1) Phone in Offline (Flight) mode.
2) Car into Diagnose mode (no adapter connected).
3) Only now insert the OBDII adapter
4) Connect WiFi
5) Connect BimmerLink/Code.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 03:18 AM   #55
thekrotek
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

I am looking to buy ENET cable, found a lot of offers on Ali, but everywhere they say that it is compatible with F-series only. I read this discussion and still don't understand, if we can use a cable for Android phones for coding G-series? Or our only option is to get yourself a BT/WiFi adapter?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 06:04 AM   #56
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
thekrotek ,

My 2020 M340 (G20) is my second BMW with previous one being a 2014 328 (F30).

When I started coding my F30, I bought an ENET cable (OBDII connector on one end & LAN/RJ on other). Subsequently, I used same cable on my G20. When I started using Bimmercode, I eventually switched to using this same ENET cable with an Anker (brand name) LAN to USB-C adapter (I have Samsung phone). The cable still works fine -- haven't had any problems. BTW, got adapter on Amazon & saw there were several ENET cables being sold

Hope that helps!

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #57
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekrotek View Post
I am looking to buy ENET cable, found a lot of offers on Ali, but everywhere they say that it is compatible with F-series only. I read this discussion and still don't understand, if we can use a cable for Android phones for coding G-series? Or our only option is to get yourself a BT/WiFi adapter?
As far as I know you can only use a Bluetooth adapter on android where as with Apple you can use the cable.

I bought mine from Amazon for use with iPad - £15.99

NiceCheck ENET OBD Cable OBDII... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SLLH4...p_mob_ap_share

With this adapter for £18.99

RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Adapter... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086MQGW...p_mob_ap_share
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #58
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
thekrotek ,

I started using Bimmercode with MX+ OBDII adapter with my Samsung (Android) phone.

Having read about using cable, I got an Anker USB-C to LAN adapter connected to ENET cable. I now use cable to connect my car to my Samsung S21 phone with Bimmercode. This set up works fine!

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #59
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Can anyone confirm if the G20 SAS2/SAS3 module can be coded by bimmercode app now or still unable to do it?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:07 AM   #60
thekrotek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
Can anyone confirm if the G20 SAS2/SAS3 module can be coded by bimmercode app now or still unable to do it?
How can I tell which module is installed in my car?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:10 AM   #61
thekrotek
Rep

I eventually bought ENET cable and Ethernet/Type-C adapter, but it doesn't work. There's no Ethernet option in my phone settings and Bimmercode can not connect to the car. Tried a few options mentioned here, but none helped. Guess, I'll jjust buy Wi-Fi adapter.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:33 AM   #62
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
I eventually bought ENET cable and Ethernet/Type-C adapter, but it doesn't work. There's no Ethernet option in my phone settings and Bimmercode can not connect to the car. Tried a few options mentioned here, but none helped. Guess, I'll jjust buy Wi-Fi adapter.
Have you read the Bimmercode manual?

https://bimmercode.app/manual/
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #63
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
As far as I know you can only use a Bluetooth adapter on android where as with Apple you can use the cable.

I bought mine from Amazon for use with iPad - £15.99

NiceCheck ENET OBD Cable OBDII... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SLLH4...p_mob_ap_share

With this adapter for £18.99

RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Adapter... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086MQGW...p_mob_ap_share
This is an incorrect statement. You most certainly can use an ethernet cable and a USB C to Ethernet Adapter on Android.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 05:26 AM   #64
thekrotek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone1008 View Post
Have you read the Bimmercode manual?

https://bimmercode.app/manual/
Of course, I did.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:24 AM   #65
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Of course, I did.
They updated the manual...

If your phone updated to Android 11 there is a new way to connect.

ENET cable connection (Android 11)

Connect the ENET cable with your Android device using an appropriate USB to Ethernet adapter.

Connect the cable to the OBD port in the footwell on the driver side in the car.

Enable the Airplane mode on the Android device.

Enable “Ethernet tethering“ in the Android settings (“Settings“ > “Connections“ > “Mobile Hotspot and Tethering“ > “Ethernet tethering“).

Open the settings in the BimmerCode app and make sure the correct adapter type is selected.

Tap “Connect” on the start screen in the BimmerCode app.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #66
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

iPhone 12 and have been using these without drama or issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0