Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MPE vs Dinan vs AWE query

11-22-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

MPE vs Dinan vs AWE query

Hello all! First time poster here:

I own a 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S which is my de facto sports car that isn't my daily driver. I am also on Rennlist as 'Tupper' if anyone here visits that forum.

Last week I bought my 2021 BMW M340i (my first BMW!) to serve as my DD, but I want this car to sound more aggressive, but since I own the Porsche I don't NEED it to be too excessive.

So here is my question:

I want a louder and sportier exhaust, but since this is my DD and I DO have neighbors, I don't want to go too insane.

So would you guys recommend MPE, Dinan, or AWE? I've heard that the AWE is VERY loud, and that might be a problem?

But is MPE loud enough? I definitely can have a louder exhaust, I just don't want to piss off the whole neighborhood.

As an aside, I've been weighing an Akrapovic exhaust for the Porsche but because the cold start for that exhaust is SOOOOOOO SUPER LOUD I've refrained from buying it.

Thanks and l look forward to talking about cars with you all
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

MPE is pretty awesome. It’s loud on startup and when I accelerate or let off the gas in Sport or Comfort, and on Eco it’s subdued. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Yeah, MPE is actually top on my list right now. I've been quoted around $1550 plus $415 for the install, which isn't bad for a dealer.

I'm sure I can go to an independent shop and have that install cost brought down a bit

I don't like the tips on the MPE though....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Take a look at these tips, newly released. I really like the MPE as well but don't like the OEM tips.

https://automodz.ca/collections/bmw/...40580463100066
Appreciate 1
Insane435476.50
      11-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers36 View Post
Take a look at these tips, newly released. I really like the MPE as well but don't like the OEM tips.

https://automodz.ca/collections/bmw/...40580463100066
^ Yeah, I saw those the other day. Even without modding my exhaust, just those tips alone might we worth it.

But I don't know anything about who manufactures it, which is a slight area of concern
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #6
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll be taking a gamble on them here shortly. I'll do a post on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
b58.fazil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive Alpine W

Quote:
I would go ahead and get the AWE Touring edition exhaust as it has a meaty sound but it’s not too loud like it’s little brother, the track edition.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
psaav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340 xDrive

Quote:
I'd love toe hear how the fitment worked out for you. Do you have an MPE or stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:50 PM   #9
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20B58Lover View Post
I would go ahead and get the AWE Touring edition exhaust as it has a meaty sound but it’s not too loud like it’s little brother, the track edition.
I really like the AWE, however, I want to retain the valve.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #10
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaav View Post
I'd love toe hear how the fitment worked out for you. Do you have an MPE or stock exhaust?
Stock exhaust. I plan on going with MPE and eventually AA catted downpipe.

BTW - noticed you're in TN. I'm right outside Nashville.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:16 PM   #11
Nai1ZuTe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

I think many people on this forum would vote for Dinan out of the three. IMO people go MPE because it's slightly cheaper and guaranteed to not void warranty or some lease agreement. AWE does not have valve control so not suitable for DD. Dinan sounds good (similar loudness to MPE?), has valve control and has quad tips
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #12
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If Dinan had a CF tip option, that would be my pick.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:39 PM   #13
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/sp...ith-valve.aspx

Have you considered Supersprint? Nice system that retains the factory valve.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:13 PM   #14
liuaar
Private
Rep
Drives: m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Hello all! First time poster here:

I own a 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S which is my de facto sports car that isn't my daily driver. I am also on Rennlist as 'Tupper' if anyone here visits that forum.

Last week I bought my 2021 BMW M340i (my first BMW!) to serve as my DD, but I want this car to sound more aggressive, but since I own the Porsche I don't NEED it to be too excessive.

So here is my question:

I want a louder and sportier exhaust, but since this is my DD and I DO have neighbors, I don't want to go too insane.

So would you guys recommend MPE, Dinan, or AWE? I've heard that the AWE is VERY loud, and that might be a problem?

But is MPE loud enough? I definitely can have a louder exhaust, I just don't want to piss off the whole neighborhood.

As an aside, I've been weighing an Akrapovic exhaust for the Porsche but because the cold start for that exhaust is SOOOOOOO SUPER LOUD I've refrained from buying it.

Thanks and l look forward to talking about cars with you all
I heard the MPE today from a good friend of mine. It was the exhaust I was going to get if my car dealer had given me a discount or just given it to me when I got the car.

I have the AWE track exhaust. Had it for over a month and today I fit in an AA catted high flow downpipe which really made the car about 10-20% louder and really made the tone incredible! It sounds so mean and aggressive.

Many many things I did not like about the MPE.

1) Not nearly loud enough. Louder than stock forsure, but definitely not loud enough for my taste. Not going to turn heads or sound as aggressive as mean as you want. I listen to my music at 85-100% max volume and this I would compare it to 40-50% max volume.

2) Sounded thin and very high pitched. Did not have the mean, aggressive, sound that both me and you are looking for.

3) Not full bodied exhaust, missing the bass and the exhaust kinda seemed like a little whining baby next to my AWE

4) Very minimal burbles (Compared to the AWE)

5) Boring look

(I am also an audiophile btw which means I'm extremely picky and fickle with what my car sounds like. It's in fact the most important thing to me couldn't care about pushing power or speed)

Things I love about the AWE

1) Loud, but definitely not obnoxiously loud like some dodges. It's a VERY VERY good level of loud. It's not so loud to the point where other people are looking at you and cringing. It sounds AMAZINGLY loud
(I've had old ladies in there 50s ask me at red lights why their BMW doesn't sound like this. Gotten a lot of compliments saying it "sounded beautifully")

2) Full bodied sound, crisp and aggressive sounding high notes, deep rumbling low notes. Bassy when you want it

3) An insane amount of burbles (on sport+) and an occasional pop here and there (I have the 2022 m340i)

4) LOOKS SEXY AS FUCK

Things I did not like about the AWE

1) I have the track version so there's no way to turn it off, granted I love love hearing a nice sounding engine and it's extremely rare for me to not like the sound of my car, but yeah it has happened less than the amt of fingers I've had. This is a very very small problem and in no way would I swap the exhaust for the touring version but there is that version if you want (if you wanted your exhaust quiet)

2) It's honestly not loud enough for my taste. I usually listen to my music on my headphones at 85-100% max volume. I would say the AWE exhaust sounds like 70-82% max volume. xDDDDD

3) Loud cold start (good& bad depending on how much you care about your neighbors and what hours you drive it), but it's short and doesn't last long. Personally the cold start is one of my favorite things about this car, but I understand why this can be a negative!

tl;dr

MPE = thin, not loud, whiny

AWE = loud, but no obnoxiously loud (could be a tad bit louder) great tone, amazing sound *chefs kiss*

Hope this helps a little bit!

OP (also will PM you my car instagram if you want to hear it!)
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2021, 11:20 PM   #15
liuaar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20B58Lover View Post
Quote:
Isn't the track the older brother?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #16
Josh/AWE
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

OP, Liuaar nailed it pretty well. The Touring Edition is in a completely different league. Full-bodied tone, no rasp, and literally drone-free. While there isn't any valving, the 180 Technology resonators in the rear are very much controlled via the throttle input -- if you need to creep, it will creep. Drop the throttle and it will roar a thorough note. No sounds of congestion or tinny notes that would be heard with a traditionally packed muffler (i.e. the other brands mentioned).

If the volume is a concern -- particularly at part throttle or higher in the range -- may be a good idea to consider the resonated variant of the Touring Edition. While it was designed for cars equipped with a DP -- it adds an extra layer of sophistication when it comes to the volume without hurting the epic tone.

The Touring Edition truly is... the *chefs kiss*

Choice of quad tips or keep your OEM tips, your call.

Note: DP equipped vehicle.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 11-23-2021 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #17
SoCalM340i
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW M340i xDrive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/sp...ith-valve.aspx

Have you considered Supersprint? Nice system that retains the factory valve.
The Supersprint with valve looks pretty solid and lines up with the OEM factory tips, which is a plus for me. Thanks for the link
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #18
psaav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340 xDrive

Quote:
Stock exhaust. I plan on going with MPE and eventually AA catted downpipe.

BTW - noticed you're in TN. I'm right outside Nashville.
I'm way in the NE TN...Bristol
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2021, 05:02 PM   #19
liuaar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh/AWE View Post
OP, Liuaar nailed it pretty well. The Touring Edition is in a completely different league. Full-bodied tone, no rasp, and literally drone-free. While there isn't any valving, the 180 Technology resonators in the rear are very much controlled via the throttle input -- if you need to creep, it will creep. Drop the throttle and it will roar a thorough note. No sounds of congestion or tinny notes that would be heard with a traditionally packed muffler (i.e. the other brands mentioned).

If the volume is a concern -- particularly at part throttle or higher in the range -- may be a good idea to consider the resonated variant of the Touring Edition. While it was designed for cars equipped with a DP -- it adds an extra layer of sophistication when it comes to the volume without hurting the epic tone.

The Touring Edition truly is... the *chefs kiss*

Choice of quad tips or keep your OEM tips, your call.

Note: DP equipped vehicle.
Best exhaust ever.

I love you guys so much.

Thank you so much boys

You will NOT regret it. No one has ever said "shit i regret getting an AWE exhaust"

NO ONE EVER.

Videos do not do this exhaust justice. AT ALL!!! Once you fit in the exhaust and turn on the car you will be sent to another planet!!!

It feels like getting a brand new car

Can't believe this car just keeps on getting better and better everyday.
Appreciate 3
      11-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Can't go wrong with AWE or Dinan, balanced sound for a daily driver

you can also increase the sound by adding a catted downpipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #21
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Update:

Alright, folks, I pulled the trigger!

I just ordered the AWE Touring non-resonated exhaust with chrome silver tips. Spoke with John at AWE and put in my order. About 12 weeks lead time. Gosh that feels so long.

Anyhow, I can't wait to get this thing!!!
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #22
liuaar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Update:

Alright, folks, I pulled the trigger!

I just ordered the AWE Touring non-resonated exhaust with chrome silver tips. Spoke with John at AWE and put in my order. About 12 weeks lead time. Gosh that feels so long.

Anyhow, I can't wait to get this thing!!!
You're not going to regret this. Please keep us updated when you get the exhaust.

I ordered mine from xph was quoted 2 months but came in a month. The best surprise i've ever received in my entire existence. no kidding. you're going to love it
Appreciate 0