Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin 2022 M340i break-in with long pickup

12-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
Lakeside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

2022 M340i break-in with long pickup

I purchased a new vehicle from a dealer exactly 300 miles from my home. I’ve never owned a new car, so I’m learning about break-in and concerned about an out of the box 300 mile trip in cold weather.

The dealer is averse to me sending a transport to fetch it, and I’d have to research that as well since I’ve not done it.

Am I overthinking this? Any strategy I should take here?

(I’d also love to get it kitted out with some wrap up front too, but also a challenge.)
      12-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Your car will warm up in about 10 minutes of highway driving, and then be at a good operating temp, so weather is not an issue. However, I do see many posts here from guys who always drive in Sport mode, and seem to get great enjoyment from “driving like they stole it”. That is the style you want to avoid until after a good break-in period.

The idea during initial break-in is to drive gently and don’t stay at the same rpm for long periods (in the old days the varying of rpm was to set the rings properly and avoid high oil consumption later, but I’m not sure anymore). BMW recommends conservative driving for the first 1200 miles, and to not exceed 4500 rpm. After that initial period you should gradually increase your max rpm, so don’t run at redline just because you have 1250 miles on your car.

They also tell you to make no aggressive brake applications and let the pads bed in. It’s very simple guidance.

Try to find the scenic route home for your 300 mile trip. Leave it in comfort mode and drive local roads instead of interstate. Be willing to stop and get a snack or see the sights. Its a short drive and even an interstate trip would probably not hurt anything if you kept it at speed limits.

Last edited by Bc2005; 12-21-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2022, 07:40 PM   #3
RKT SHP
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

I mean BMW does offer performance center delivery for folks to fly to South Carolina from all over the U.S. knowing full well that they are going to drive them home......Bottom line, if it would seriously hurt the cars, they would recommend something different for the drive home from the performance center.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:07 AM   #4
larrington5
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Here's info direct from BMW:

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...a-new-car.html

Pretty much echoes what Bc2005 said, though I didn't see anything about varying the RPM. I'm not sure that is necessary on these modern engines, anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 06:14 AM   #5
aleksandarv98
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i G20 2021

Hi guys! I wanted to share my experience with break in period, is it necessary or not- short answer is YES. I got a 2019 M340i last summer, my first 6 pot BMW, and i was in love with it, but there was one thing that was strange to me- the car was "bouncy" in idle. I got it at 13,000 kilometers used. Went to the dealer, they checked everything, sat in the car and let it idle and there it was, bouncy feeling again. I was told that it is normal for a straight 6 pot engine to do that. Got rid of the car because the leather was not very scratch resistant, i believe that the guy before me just used some chemicals which do not suit the leather at all for cleaning- current owner is changing leather completely! So then i got and ordered a brand new M340i and i respected 2,000 km break in period. Long story short- now at the 13,000 km with this car, almost 0 bounciness, and when felt, it is barely felt. Pretty sure that i set up the engine to last by just doing this- most certainly less oil consumption once it starts getting hungry and the engine is working more balanced and not bouncing in the engine bay like an angry bull.