Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications First mods! MST intake, chargepipe, downpipe and JB+

01-22-2022, 11:03 PM   #1
tylers1027
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 330I

First mods! MST intake, chargepipe, downpipe and JB+

Hey everyone - was excited to have just ordered some new parts. This forum has been super helpful learning about everything. Below is a list of parts I have coming (will probably not install until spring when the snow melts). Planning to add the FI catback later in the year (heard they had a black friday special 25% off last month; hopefully they will this coming year too?). I had just a couple quick questions.

1) Does this sound like a pretty safe/reliable setup? I will usually just be driving in comfort mode with occasional joy rides in sport mode. Mostly looking for a little more HP but not to the point it makes the car less reliable).

2) Regarding warranty; I've read conflicting opinions. From what I've read on here, I can just take off the JB+ before dealer visits and the cold air intake and chargepipe won't affect warranty. I was most concerned if the downpipe would void power train warranty. I got the active autowerke catted downpipe as it has the no check engine light guarantee and won't smell like gas as much.

New mods....
JB+ (I know JB4 is better; but wanted something easy to add/remove)
Active autowerke catted downpipe (No CEL guarantee)
FTP chargepipe (went with the red one)
MST cold air intake (saw some videos and loved the sound)
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
Bernina5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylers1027 View Post
Hey everyone - was excited to have just ordered some new parts. This forum has been super helpful learning about everything. Below is a list of parts I have coming (will probably not install until spring when the snow melts). Planning to add the FI catback later in the year (heard they had a black friday special 25% off last month; hopefully they will this coming year too?). I had just a couple quick questions.

1) Does this sound like a pretty safe/reliable setup? I will usually just be driving in comfort mode with occasional joy rides in sport mode. Mostly looking for a little more HP but not to the point it makes the car less reliable).

2) Regarding warranty; I've read conflicting opinions. From what I've read on here, I can just take off the JB+ before dealer visits and the cold air intake and chargepipe won't affect warranty. I was most concerned if the downpipe would void power train warranty. I got the active autowerke catted downpipe as it has the no check engine light guarantee and won't smell like gas as much.

New mods....
did you get a CEL from the downpipe?
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #3
tylers1027
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernina5 View Post
did you get a CEL from the downpipe?
I haven't installed it yet, but this particular downpipe comes with a no CEL guarantee. From other posts I've read I haven't seen anyone that's gotten the CEL from this downpipe yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

no CEL from the active autowerke downpipe

very nice mod list OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:

New mods....
With the mods you have, I'd highly suggest getting the JB4 instead. You should be able to make power than with just the JB+.

And installing and uninstalling isn't difficult at all if you use the door jamb method like I do. Hardly one minute from hood up to hood down.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2022, 07:55 AM   #6
tylers1027
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
With the mods you have, I'd highly suggest getting the JB4 instead. You should be able to make power than with just the JB+.

And installing and uninstalling isn't difficult at all if you use the door jamb method like I do. Hardly one minute from hood up to hood down.
That's good to hear! I will have to look into the JB4. I was worried it would take me forever to install. It took me a half hour just to install the JB+ the first time; but now that I know how to undo the sensor it takes like 30 seconds!

I think for now I'm going to leave the downpipe in the closet and install the intake/chargepipe and try the JB+ for a bit; and then maybe later this year install the downpipe and try to upgrade to the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's good to hear! I will have to look into the JB4. I was worried it would take me forever to install. It took me a half hour just to install the JB+ the first time; but now that I know how to undo the sensor it takes like 30 seconds!

I think for now I'm going to leave the downpipe in the closet and install the intake/chargepipe and try the JB+ for a bit; and then maybe later this year install the downpipe and try to upgrade to the JB4.
Yup. Once you figure out how to remove the clip, it's easy. Same thing. First time I installed the JB+, I went crazy trying to remove the OEM plug and broke part of it. But now, it takes like 5 seconds a clip. The other plugs are much easier to uninstall.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #8
RawDog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M340I Xdrive

Downpipe voids warranty?? How?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:24 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAlien View Post
Downpipe voids warranty?? How?
It does not.

A dealership can decide to deny a job if they can prove the damage was done from your aftermarket mod.

Aftermarket downpipes are higher-flow than stock and reduce the backpressure. It cannot be blamed for damages done to any other car component.

Appreciate 1
      03-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #10
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

Did you get all this installed yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:02 PM   #11
bese60
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Geniune question - why do people go for FTP charge pipe? Does it make sense if all youre doing is simple boltons like DP/Intake etc?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:41 PM   #12
pdxdbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bese60 View Post
Geniune question - why do people go for FTP charge pipe? Does it make sense if all youre doing is simple boltons like DP/Intake etc?
They've failed on stock engines and the general consensus is that changing out the plastic units is good insurance for anyone increasing boost pressure.
Appreciate 1
bese60231.50
      04-01-2022, 02:02 AM   #13
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
How much of a pain is the install of the charge pipe?

Last edited by helmet91; 04-01-2022 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 09:20 PM   #14
tylers1027
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
How much of a pain is the install of the charge pipe?
Planning to install in a few weeks; was waiting for the snow to melt. Got the charge pipe mainly because it's cheap, looks great and I've read the stock plastic charge pipe can Crack eventually.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Planning to install in a few weeks; was waiting for the snow to melt. Got the charge pipe mainly because it's cheap, looks great and I've read the stock plastic charge pipe can Crack eventually.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 09:58 PM   #16
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Subbed
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 03:07 PM   #17
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:

Isn't door jamb a huge fire risk? Cannot recommend
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2022, 03:14 PM   #18
tylers1027
Private First Class
Rep

Finally installed the FTP chargepipe this weekend. Ended up trading the MST intake for the Armaspeed intake (the full carbon fiber version). Also picked up a used M Performance muffler from a member of this site. Still running the JB+.

I'm thinking of next year looking into installing the downpipe and upgrading to the JB4. I like the JB+ because I just plug it in, turn it about 90% of the way up and have no issues. I've heard with the JB4 you have to really analyze the logs and all of that; is it pretty user friendly?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 03:31 AM   #19
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Finally installed the FTP chargepipe this weekend. Ended up trading the MST intake for the Armaspeed intake (the full carbon fiber version). Also picked up a used M Performance muffler from a member of this site. Still running the JB+.

I'm thinking of next year looking into installing the downpipe and upgrading to the JB4. I like the JB+ because I just plug it in, turn it about 90% of the way up and have no issues. I've heard with the JB4 you have to really analyze the logs and all of that; is it pretty user friendly?
Yep, you'll have to check your logs... A lot. If you just want a plug and play solution, stick with the JB+

But... If you're willing to put in the effort and want more power, JB4 is the way to go. Just make sure you send your logs to someone reputable, preferrably someone who works at BMS

Honestly, just having the ability to check your car's data at your fingertips in real time (assuming you buy the bluetooth connection) is a very good argument for buying it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 03:36 AM   #20
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:

New mods....
If BMW really wanted to find out if you tuned your car, they will be able to. That's an undeniable fact (Consistent increases in PSI is a clear indicator of some sort of tuning).

The dealer technically has to prove that whatever part you installed was the cause of failure in order to deny warranty coverage. However, you most likely won't have a sound counterargument when they do so, which allows them to get away with not fixing something under warranty.

General rule for modding is you have to pay to play. Assume that you have no warranty if you begin diving into performance mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #21
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

1. Door jamb method is a huge fire risk? How? All you're doing is running a thin wire through the door jamb. And it is padded by the rubber strips there. So yes. Zero risk as far as I can see. The wire doesn't even get crushed.

2. It's very easy for BMW to flag cars now. Easier than before apparently. How do I know! Last service visit, mine got flagged. All they did was connect the computer to the car for their routine scope (which they've done before and my car came out clean). The car said a tune was autodetected. The guy who worked on my car sent me a video showing that.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 04:50 PM   #22
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
1. Door jamb method is a huge fire risk? How? All you're doing is running a thin wire through the door jamb. And it is padded by the rubber strips there. So yes. Zero risk as far as I can see. The wire doesn't even get crushed.

2. It's very easy for BMW to flag cars now. Easier than before apparently. How do I know! Last service visit, mine got flagged. All they did was connect the computer to the car for their routine scope (which they've done before and my car came out clean). The car said a tune was autodetected. The guy who worked on my car sent me a video showing that.
Was this with the JB4 still connected or removed?
Appreciate 0