Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Does your sunroof rattle?

06-04-2022, 06:29 PM   #133
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iulianm View Post
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=110

My sunroof creaks only on tilt/vent position; I tried to apply some "Gummi Pflege Rubber" on the rubber but it didn't make any difference.
It doesn't creak when closed or opened in any other position except vent.
It started to creek after ~8k miles.
I believe I have fixed the creak that I had only in tilt/vent position: I had another look today to see what rubber I have missed greasing and I found it! with the sunroof in open position, I pressed down on the wind deflector and applied some rubber treatment.
Name:  IMG_5261.jpg
Views: 3405
Size:  306.7 KB
Name:  IMG_5262.jpg
Views: 3146
Size:  231.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 12:44 AM   #134
Cdrewyoung90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330i xDrive

My sunroof was making an awful creaking noise. Dealer said that there is a bulletin for that. Ordered special grease and applied it and now the problem is solved.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      06-25-2022, 10:54 AM   #135
stunatu72
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunatu72 View Post
I found this TSB: https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B54-15-19

Not sure if it has been posted but wondering if anyone got this fix done by their dealer…

I tried resetting the sunroof by pushing up and holding the sunroof button for 15-20s but that didn't do anything.

I am experiencing the rattling/noise mentioned others as well (more of a creaking noise) and recently noticed the back of the sunroof doesn't look as sealed as the front. Very slight difference (see images). Feel free to post pics of your sunroof to compare.
Quick update. Took the car to the dealer here in Laval (north of Montreal). The technician who test drove it with me said a few interesting things regarding the rattle/creaking when sunroof closed. He said they're not 100% sure but think the sunroof seal doesn't interact well with car washes and detailing products. They've seen the issue quite a few times and he instantly recognized the creaking when car going slow while turning into a driveway and the rattling over rough surfaces. They reapplied the lubricant around the seal. A few days now and no sound. I find it very odd. I've been detailing cars for a few years now and never had this issue. Hope the fix lasts but once out of warranty have to keep lubricating myself IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #136
CraigR73
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M330i

Mine has just come back from the dealer - second visit for noisy roof. I have been told that it needs a complete replacement and will have to go back in a couple of weeks. Fortunately still in warranty (just)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #137
Ckebz
Ckebz
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Sunroof rattle fix

I just got a 2022 330e, after a few thousand miles the sunroof started rattling/squeaking/creaking like many of you noted. I read through this thread and many of you are experiencing what I am...

I found that when I opened the sunroof, or pressed up on the back of the sunroof, it stopped. What I did to fix this was buy a $2.99 rubber adhesive strip from Home Depot. I cut about 1 foot of it, and stuck it to the inside back of the sunroof, where it the little groove lay's into the car rail. I took a picture, the rubber strip is where I'm pointing. The second pic is the stuff I bought.

Hopefully this saves someone from a useless trip to the BMW dealership.

Edit: I should also mention that before I placed the rubber strip, I sprayed a silicon lubricant on the existing rubber seals. I have since removed the rubber strip I added and the noise is still gone. So, likely was solved with the silicon spray.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ckebz; 08-15-2022 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 01:36 PM   #138
SnowBob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-Sport

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbuffs View Post
I applied the special grease however it did not resolve the rattle. When I ordered it, I didn't realize this procedure was specific to the sunshade. My noise seems to be more from the glass.

I finally decided to take it to the dealer. The tech drove with the shop foreman and confirmed noise. Per SIB54 15 19, they applied BMW Lubricant M, part 83 19 2 458 653 to the sunroof perimeter seal.

It's only been one day, but my early morning, cold drive to Starbucks seems to indicate the noise is gone. We'll see how long this lubricant lasts. I looked up the part with the idea I'd order some to have on hand, but it's over $50. It seems to be a Krytok product, but not sure which one (perhaps GPL 105 oil?)
Thank you for sharing this; it fixed my problem. I’ll share my details to help others diagnose if they’re having the same issue:

I have a November 2020 production date G20 M Sport with sport suspension on 19 inch OEM Perelli summer run flats from the San Luis plant. My moon roof rattle developed around 20k miles. The sound was more like a large loose object tapping against something more than a high-pitched rattle and was most audible from the diver’s seat. I realized that after asking my passengers to help identify the source but they couldn’t hear it. When I had someone drive my car so I could listen to it, they heard it right away from the driver’s seat. The sound was most audible between 25-35 mph and went away entirely at highway speeds. Pushing up on the very back portion of the moon roof would also dampen it.

I ordered the M lubricant costing $60 to save me the time of having the service center deal with it. I cleaned out all the accumulated dust buildup around the perimeter edge of the moon roof itself and the recess in the roof body with a microfiber towel and AMMO NYC Frothe. For the first application, I sprayed a single light layer around the edge holding a card stock mailer ad below the mood roof to prevent overspray into the interior. This first application improved the issue but shifted the noise to a more high-pitch more subtle rattle at 40-50 mph. I applied a second heavier spray layer and that eliminated all the noise entirely. I ended up using about half of the bottle. Here are some pictures in case someone can identify the manufacturer part number to buy it cheaper. It was a spray liquid with a consistency more like water than oil.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
peelerec987.50
      04-20-2023, 07:52 AM   #139
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
This might be the TSB relating to the G20 sunroof squeak that apparently the 7 series shares.

How do we add a sticky to the TSB below? Anyone know?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...T6EuEz9cqoJvDI
      04-20-2023, 08:32 AM   #140
aom_53
Rep
Drives: BMW

Always trouble to get it closed .
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:31 AM   #141
RoryYoung
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series (G20)

Angry Sunroof shade rattle and closing issues

Sunroof shade rattles. If I press it upward at the rear the rattle stops.
It is VERY annoying while driving as everything else is super smooth and quiet.

I also have an issue where the sunroof shade closes and then bounces back halfway. It's with BMW to fix under warranty and motor plan.

Last edited by RoryYoung; 05-04-2023 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 10:01 AM   #142
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

If you really want to fix your sunroof you need to take the headliner down and fix properly the clips around the sunroof.
Months and months of this awful rattles only fixed with that
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #143
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=110

My sunroof creaks only on tilt/vent position; I tried to apply some "Gummi Pflege Rubber" on the rubber but it didn't make any difference.
It doesn't creak when closed or opened in any other position except vent.
It started to creek after ~8k miles.

A bit unrelated to the particular rattle describe above but I want to mention it here:

About three weeks ago I had another issue with my sunroof; the car was parked with sunroof open in the sun for ~2h and after that it wouldn't close (it was trying to close, seemed to hit something and bounce back open); I was 200 miles from home, tried several times and then a piece of plastic seems to have snapped out of place, sunroof closed but it was rattling like crazy; it seems that it was the drain line (rain gutter) that disconnected and I was able to put it back myself (just snap back in the place).
I went to the dealer anyway to figure it out what was wrong but they didn't even wanted to have a look at the car if the sunroof was operating and said rattles are normal; I didn't tried to fight them too much as it's a lease and will go back in 1.5 years.

I believe part number #4 in the schematic bellow is what I think snapped out of place for me.
Attachment 2897478
Finally it has happened again and that piece of plastic fell down when sunroof didn't wanted to close and I attempted 3-4 times to close it.
First time it happened, I was able to put it back myself, went to the dealer and they didn't even wanted to look at the car as the service advisor said "well, it's working now".

Then I tried again and I explained to them that it only happens when the sunroof is opened and car stays in the sunt for at least 30 minutes and they wouldn't consider even trying to reproduce the issue.

Today it snapped again (and in the past few weeks it looked like was going to as it was making some noises when closing).

I have 8 more months on a lease with the car, booked it in on Tuesday morning and if all they do is snap it back into place, that would support my decision to return the lease and look at another manufacturer.

Every time after being out with sunroof opened 30 mins in the sun, this was the behavior:

Last edited by iulianm; 05-07-2023 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 12:11 AM   #144
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Gummi Pfledge should solve this issue most of the time.

Dry/cold air creates friction between the glass, seals, and other components. Clean the seals then rub the lubricant, bam car is new again.

Amazes me that dealers can never figure this out. They'll keep your car for days, remove the headliner, etc. This should be the first recourse before all that. If lubricant doesn't solve it, then there is a more serious issue of course.

Last edited by Germanauto; 05-08-2023 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 09:08 AM   #145
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
if all they do is snap it back into place, that would support my decision to return the lease and look at another manufacturer.
They did exactly what I did the first time and snap it back into place saying that the part is not broken and "just needed to be snapped back".
No further investigation into why the sunroof is hitting it, not closing and causing it to snap out when the car sits outside in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 08:06 AM   #146
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep

The dealer was finally able to reproduce the issue with my sunroof not closing when parked outside in a hot day, they replaced the rain gutter and had to take it apart.

As bonus it seems that I also got rid of all the rattles as well however after all that worked detailed in there, it still doesn't close when warm outside.
Name:  IMG_0551.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  556.9 KB

Last edited by iulianm; 05-24-2023 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 11:49 AM   #147
dubstyle71@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive 4 dr sedan (G20)

Yes and it’s annoying af! Took it to the dealership and they said they just added some lubricant to get it to stop.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 10:27 PM   #148
Andyecon
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340xi

I'm taking mine to the dealer again tomorrow for creaking sunroof. I had it in two weeks ago and thought maybe the lubrication had done the job, but the last few days it is creaking as badly as ever. Just insane that $60,000+ vehicles can have such a widespread issue... anybody contacted BMW to complain?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 03:36 AM   #149
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunatu72 View Post
Quick update. Took the car to the dealer here in Laval (north of Montreal). The technician who test drove it with me said a few interesting things regarding the rattle/creaking when sunroof closed. He said they're not 100% sure but think the sunroof seal doesn't interact well with car washes and detailing products. They've seen the issue quite a few times and he instantly recognized the creaking when car going slow while turning into a driveway and the rattling over rough surfaces. They reapplied the lubricant around the seal. A few days now and no sound. I find it very odd. I've been detailing cars for a few years now and never had this issue. Hope the fix lasts but once out of warranty have to keep lubricating myself IMHO.
The dealer is BS ing…both my 328GT and 330i sunroofs were creaking big time from the day of delivery!!
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 12:25 AM   #150
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyecon View Post
I'm taking mine to the dealer again tomorrow for creaking sunroof. I had it in two weeks ago and thought maybe the lubrication had done the job, but the last few days it is creaking as badly as ever. Just insane that $60,000+ vehicles can have such a widespread issue... anybody contacted BMW to complain?
I think there is enough of a percentage of owners that have this problem to justify a TSB and resolution. The issue is I think it doesn’t bother enough of us, including myself to bother reporting to bmw.
      06-13-2023, 11:29 AM   #151
Andyecon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
I think there is enough of a percentage of owners that have this problem to justify a TSB and resolution. The issue is I think it doesn’t bother enough of us, including myself to bother reporting to bmw.
I could see it not bothering somebody who listens to music quite loudly, but I am often driving with my daughter listening to Disney stories. That means I hear the creaking/ticking with every bump...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #152
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyecon View Post
I could see it not bothering somebody who listens to music quite loudly, but I am often driving with my daughter listening to Disney stories. That means I hear the creaking/ticking with every bump...
Ouch. Bad enough as is listening to Disney stories, plus a rattling sunroof. I get it
      06-14-2023, 02:32 PM   #153
Andyecon
Rep

Had to go back to the dealership and drive the service manager around so he could hear it... I assume it will get fixed eventually, but very annoying that I have spent hours dealing with this. He as also annoyed, as he said he had hoped BMW would figure this out for the LCI, but instead my car is the lowest-mileage one he has encountered with the problem (it started around 2500 miles).
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 02:50 PM   #154
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I don't have any rattle, is it just a matter of time?

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0