Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Does your sunroof rattle?

02-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #111
Deej1991
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deej1991 View Post
Just got a 21 330i late November. Had 1,700 miles on it. As the weather got colder into December - the rattling/popping from the sunroof became unbearable. Had to take it to the dealer after just two weeks of driving it. The first time there - the service guy said he couldn't replicate the noise and just gave the car back. So I set up another appointment but this time to drive with someone. Of course - we went for a ride and there wasn't any rattling. I believe weight distribution has something to do with it and it needed to be colder weather. So I dropped it off again and this time they heard the noises. Told me there was a bulletin from BMW and the company is aware of the issue. They ordered a special lubricant. But based on reading a lot of the posts here - sounds like I'll be back every few months.
Update - eight weeks after dealer ordered the lubricant - it has finally arrived and been applied. Drove to work from the dealer. And the rattling has not gone away. It's sounds a little suppressed but it's still very much there and still driving me crazy. Wondering if I should go to a different dealer now and go through the entire process again?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #112
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deej1991 View Post
Update - eight weeks after dealer ordered the lubricant - it has finally arrived and been applied. Drove to work from the dealer. And the rattling has not gone away. It's sounds a little suppressed but it's still very much there and still driving me crazy. Wondering if I should go to a different dealer now and go through the entire process again?
When mine was done (in the UK) the dealer used a ‘service kit’ that included some updated parts, rollers I believe, along with lubricant.

Mine was really noisy, been absolutely fine since the service kit was used about a year ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #113
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

mine is pretty noisy and needs to be lubricated once a year then it goes away

the master technician said that wax can degrade the seals on the sunroof so to avoid waxing around the area but it snows way too much here to not go through an automatic car wash

i'll make sure to avoid the sunroof for my next vehicle
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 05:51 AM   #114
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
When mine was done (in the UK) the dealer used a ‘service kit’ that included some updated parts, rollers I believe, along with lubricant.

Mine was really noisy, been absolutely fine since the service kit was used about a year ago.
By any chance you have the parts numbers that they replaced? This would help a lot
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:44 AM   #115
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergarza View Post
By any chance you have the parts numbers that they replaced? This would help a lot
I don’t but I’ll see if I can find out
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 08:13 AM   #116
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

Today I took my car to the dealership for the first time (after all my not successful troubleshooting on the sunroof rattle). After 1 day with the car at the dealership they told me that they will request some Teflon tape and lubricant and it will get to them in 1 week. Honestly I don't believe that they even checked the car and this is a general band-aid to keep the clients quiet.
If anyone knows the resigned rollers number or any real solution please let me know as I dont believe that the dealership will solve my issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 10:28 PM   #117
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Sunroof rattle should be an easy fix; there is a SIB for it see photo.
It seems to fox it..i guess some dealers don't have the proper lubricant in stock or its caught up in the shortages of most everything lately.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      05-15-2022, 11:58 AM   #118
csctiscalia
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550ix, 2021 M340ix

Mine creaked (different from a rattle) from new, only when closed. Cause was the sunroof rubbing against the paintwork of the opening. Applied a quarter inch strip of clear slip tape to the edges of the opening and all the creaking was gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 10:35 PM   #119
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergarza View Post
Today I took my car to the dealership for the first time (after all my not successful troubleshooting on the sunroof rattle). After 1 day with the car at the dealership they told me that they will request some Teflon tape and lubricant and it will get to them in 1 week. Honestly I don't believe that they even checked the car and this is a general band-aid to keep the clients quiet.
If anyone knows the resigned rollers number or any real solution please let me know as I dont believe that the dealership will solve my issue.
I had the same issue. 3 trips to the dealer and twice the problem was with the drain line of the sunroof.
It's the first time one of my cars (all BMW) had an issue with the sunroof. The last trip was just last week and the rattle was very loud. The drain line came off and on end of it was hitting the roof.
It's been 4 days and so far the rattle is gone.
Hope you were able to get your car fixed.
      05-30-2022, 09:12 PM   #120
stunatu72
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

I found this TSB: https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B54-15-19

Not sure if it has been posted but wondering if anyone got this fix done by their dealer…

I tried resetting the sunroof by pushing up and holding the sunroof button for 15-20s but that didn't do anything.

I am experiencing the rattling/noise mentioned others as well (more of a creaking noise) and recently noticed the back of the sunroof doesn't look as sealed as the front. Very slight difference (see images). Feel free to post pics of your sunroof to compare.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 08:46 AM   #121
lsbuffs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

I had Lubricant M applied in January for a very bad rattle. I was skeptical, but the rattle went away and has not returned. Please see post #110 for further details.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 05:05 PM   #122
stunatu72
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbuffs View Post
I had Lubricant M applied in January for a very bad rattle. I was skeptical, but the rattle went away and has not returned. Please see post #110 for further details.
Thx for the reply. How do I find post #110? I don't see numbers on the mobile app. One of your older posts on this thread?

Just to confirm, was it a rattle or creak?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 06:07 PM   #123
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunatu72 View Post
I tried resetting the sunroof by pushing up and holding the sunroof button for 15-20s but that didn't do anything.
When you say "... didn't do anything." do you mean the sunroof did not reset or the reset did not resolve your sunroof creaking?

From the pics of your sunroof, your sunroof does not look aligned properly.
      05-31-2022, 06:39 PM   #124
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Quote:
Thx for the reply. How do I find post #110? I don't see numbers on the mobile app. One of your older posts on this thread?
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=110

My sunroof creaks only on tilt/vent position; I tried to apply some "Gummi Pflege Rubber" on the rubber but it didn't make any difference.
It doesn't creak when closed or opened in any other position except vent.
It started to creek after ~8k miles.

A bit unrelated to the particular rattle describe above but I want to mention it here:

About three weeks ago I had another issue with my sunroof; the car was parked with sunroof open in the sun for ~2h and after that it wouldn't close (it was trying to close, seemed to hit something and bounce back open); I was 200 miles from home, tried several times and then a piece of plastic seems to have snapped out of place, sunroof closed but it was rattling like crazy; it seems that it was the drain line (rain gutter) that disconnected and I was able to put it back myself (just snap back in the place).
I went to the dealer anyway to figure it out what was wrong but they didn't even wanted to have a look at the car if the sunroof was operating and said rattles are normal; I didn't tried to fight them too much as it's a lease and will go back in 1.5 years.

I believe part number #4 in the schematic bellow is what I think snapped out of place for me.
Name:  Screen-Shot-2022-05-01-at-6-07-05-PM.png
Views: 1299
Size:  172.9 KB

Last edited by iulianm; 05-31-2022 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 07:28 AM   #125
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iulianm View Post
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=110

My sunroof creaks only on tilt/vent position; I tried to apply some "Gummi Pflege Rubber" on the rubber but it didn't make any difference.
It doesn't creak when closed or opened in any other position except vent.
It started to creek after ~8k miles.

A bit unrelated to the particular rattle describe above but I want to mention it here:

About three weeks ago I had another issue with my sunroof; the car was parked with sunroof open in the sun for ~2h and after that it wouldn't close (it was trying to close, seemed to hit something and bounce back open); I was 200 miles from home, tried several times and then a piece of plastic seems to have snapped out of place, sunroof closed but it was rattling like crazy; it seems that it was the drain line (rain gutter) that disconnected and I was able to put it back myself (just snap back in the place).
I went to the dealer anyway to figure it out what was wrong but they didn't even wanted to have a look at the car if the sunroof was operating and said rattles are normal; I didn't tried to fight them too much as it's a lease and will go back in 1.5 years.

I believe part number #4 in the schematic bellow is what I think snapped out of place for me.
Attachment 2897478

“Rattles are normal”.

I would find another dealer if that is their attitude.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #126
pedro_no1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330d M Sport

I had the same problem, rattling in the sunroof area, whether it was closed or open.

I also had problems with the exterior mirrors that did not fold down automatically after washed the car.

BMW repaired both my problems in three days - at the moment it seems that the car doesn't have any other factory problems, my 330d M Sport 07/2019 model. I forgot to specify that all repairs were free and under the warranty !
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 06:45 PM   #127
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Mine rattles more when closed . Dealer couldn't duplicate the problem apparently and kept my car for 3 days. I do not want to take it back and have it sitting for days while I drive a loaner. Very annoying
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 11:54 AM   #128
pedro_no1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Mine rattles more when closed . Dealer couldn't duplicate the problem apparently and kept my car for 3 days. I do not want to take it back and have it sitting for days while I drive a loaner. Very annoying
They told me at first, but without inspecting the car that it would be fixed in two days, then they called me in the afternoon of the next day to tell me that they had to keep the car more days because they could not find the cause of the rattle in the sunroof. however, on the third day at noon I received a notification that I could go and pick up the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:30 PM   #129
Cdrewyoung90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330i xDrive

Mine does. Just talked to the dealer about it and they are ordering some sort of grease to apply to fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #130
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro_nr1 View Post
Quote:
They told me at first, but without inspecting the car that it would be fixed in two days, then they called me in the afternoon of the next day to tell me that they had to keep the car more days because they could not find the cause of the rattle in the sunroof. however, on the third day at noon I received a notification that I could go and pick up the car.
What did they do that took so long? I'd rather just have them order grease and bring the car in to be applied and leave. I'm not trying to keep my car there again for days
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 10:34 PM   #131
stunatu72
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
Quote:
When you say "... didn't do anything." do you mean the sunroof did not reset or the reset did not resolve your sunroof creaking?

From the pics of your sunroof, your sunroof does not look aligned properly.
Reset did its thing but creaking didn't go away. Agreed, does not look aligned. Will be taking it in for oil change and showing them the sunroof alignment, the creaks and handing them the TSB. I don't mind the rattle so much as I always drive with the sunroof title but might as well get it fixed before warranty runs out.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #132
pedro_no1
Private
Rep

Quote:
What did they do that took so long? I'd rather just have them order grease and bring the car in to be applied and leave. I'm not trying to keep my car there again for days
I had two problems to solve when I went to them and they told me that it takes two days without inspecting the car. the next day they called me to tell me that they had repaired the rearview mirrors but they have to keep the car for a few more days because they did not find out where the noise of the sunroof came from, the third day they gave me the car with both problems solved and covered by warranty! unfortunately they didn't say anything about how they repaired them, how and what they did!
Appreciate 0