Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications How to Tune?

03-19-2024, 11:26 AM   #1
lickx
#1 No Hesi
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

How to Tune?

Hello guys, my name is Lickx and I recently bought a 2020 m340i over the weekend! I love the car but Im wondering what are the steps I need to take in order to tune my vehicle, will I need to ship my ECU to femto?

Any information is appreciated!

-Lickx
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 11:29 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

check with PTF if your DME is locked

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 01:01 PM   #3
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickx View Post
Hello guys, my name is Lickx and I recently bought a 2020 m340i over the weekend! I love the car but Im wondering what are the steps I need to take in order to tune my vehicle, will I need to ship my ECU to femto?

-Lickx
If your car's build date is pre-June 2020, you are in luck. You don't need femto.
Your DME can be bench unlocked.
I got a 04/19 build date on mine so I was in luck.

I just got the MHD unlocker / MHD tune package / MHD wireless connector month and half ago for total of 900$.
I highly recommend it.
You can unlock the DME yourself limitless amount with the unlocker. If you ever get it, send me a PM and I can tell you how to go about it. Its easy and simple.
After the unlock you can flash your DME with the wireless connector (to OBD II PORT).
I have multi map flashed and I can choose one of four at any time. Currently i am on 91/E30/E40/E85 tune.
I can switch it in an instant depends on the fuel I have.

The tune will make your car noticeably faster at all RPM range.
So from the data that ive read from the forums, a stage 2 E40 tuned M340i is basically faster than a stock F80 M3, and as quick as Stage 1 F80 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 01:11 PM   #4
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickx View Post

-Lickx
Welcome to the forum...

You do not need to send your DME to femto but you will need a "bench unlock" before you can flash (load) performance software into your car. You can find a local performance shop to do the unlock OR alternatively there are two companies (MHD and Mission) that offer an at home bench unlock tool. Not coincidently both companies also offer a performance flash for your car. With the MHD unlock tool you are limited to their flash but with the Mission tool you can load any flash you want, MHD, Mission, BM3, MG etc are probably the 4 largest flash players each catering to a different clientele imho. As standalone units the MHD tool is slightly less expensive at $299.00 vs the mission tool at $350 but the mission tool is more feature rich and is less expensive at $200.00 when bundled with their flash.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 03:13 PM   #5
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Welcome to the forum...

You do not need to send your DME to femto but you will need a "bench unlock" before you can flash (load) performance software into your car. You can find a local performance shop to do the unlock OR alternatively there are two companies (MHD and Mission) that offer an at home bench unlock tool. Not coincidently both companies also offer a performance flash for your car. With the MHD unlock tool you are limited to their flash but with the Mission tool you can load any flash you want, MHD, Mission, BM3, MG etc are probably the 4 largest flash players each catering to a different clientele imho. As standalone units the MHD tool is slightly less expensive at $299.00 vs the mission tool at $350 but the mission tool is more feature rich and is less expensive at $200.00 when bundled with their flash.

Hope this helps
I thought with the MHD Unlocker you can still use any tune you want, though you need at minimum the MHD Flasher license to do the unlock, so if you want to do BM3, for example, you'd have two licenses to buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 04:06 PM   #6
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
I thought with the MHD Unlocker you can still use any tune you want, though you need at minimum the MHD Flasher license to do the unlock, so if you want to do BM3, for example, you'd have two licenses to buy.
Thank you for that, I had heard to the contrary but I am no expert. I see what you are saying...if someone wanted to unlock for BM3 as an example using the MHD unlock tool they would need an MHD flash license, and then purchase the MHD unlock tool and then the BM3 flash license. So while maybe technically the MHD tool will unlock for BM3, Mission etc...it wouldn't make sense to do that under most circumstances. I could however see where someone running MHD may want to consider the mission unlock tool for its' backup features
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:19 PM   #7
Jaheven
Registered
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i RWD

Follow @casper_g20 on insta he has a 2020 m340i going for records answer all questions will help
Appreciate 0