Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Strange intermittent noise rattle from steering area

02-02-2024, 12:13 PM   #1
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Strange intermittent noise rattle from steering area

Hi all.

I've been having this strange issue since early on and my G20 only has 5,000 miles.

This happens randomly but under certain conditions. If the car is going under 10mph over certain pavement (basically at low speeds only) OR when the car is parked/idle/braking, there's a rattle / knocking that sounds like a rubber ball bouncing quickly (a dull fluttering noise) coming from the steering column area.

To replicate the noise while parked, it will happen when the steering wheel is center. However, I can manipulate it by turning the wheel and the noise stops or starts again depending on the position of the wheel. Also, if I adjust the wheel height either all the way up or all the way down, it stops completely no matter which way the wheel is turned.

There is no affect on the the steering wheel physically. It doesn't not shake or vibrate. The only issue is this strange noise that occurs.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Below is a link of the sound with the noise. You can hear how I can manipulate it to start and stop.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WsL...ew?usp=sharing

It almost sounds like there's something loose that is triggered depending on the rotation of the wheel, but it doesn't happen at higher speeds.

I don't want to have the dealership start tearing apart the interior and messing things up. Any idea of what this could be? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 05:24 PM   #2
totalnoob
Rep
Drives: Honda CRV (lease)

interested, following
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:16 AM   #3
Turn Signal
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive | 1987 325iS

Garage List
1987 325is  [0.00]
2020 M340i xDrive  [0.00]
I was going to guess sunroof but after listing to the sound it's probably something else. The sunroof sounds like it's coming from other locations but none I've heard sound like that. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 08:40 PM   #4
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

I have an audio clip from my phone that I can share via Google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WsL...w?usp=drivesdk

It’s hard to describe the sound without hearing it. Almost sounds like a woodpecker hammering.
Appreciate 0