Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Android wireless charging rate

04-06-2024, 05:07 AM   #1
PC101
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Android wireless charging rate

So, i now have a new phone capable of wireless charging. However, on a 1hr journey last week, by the end the charge level increased by only 1% and the phone temperature was 10c higher to around 40c. I used Android Auto for the drive back.

Yesterday i thought i'd check the charge rate using an app and it registered as c300mA, but the phone drawdown in discharge mode was c600mA! Though this doesn't really explain why the charge level appeared to be higher by 1c.

I took my car into the local Stealers for it's first MOT and complained that the in-built charger wasn't working properly. The tech expert told me that it's a only 15w charger and is more designed to maintain a charge rather than be a full on charger. He is also said that wireless charging is very inefficient. He also said that he'd seen some phones as high as 80c.

Anyway, not very scientific but my quick testing proves that the in-built charger is rubbish!

Has anyone had any success with an after market solution? The type where the the whole thing plugs into the cigarette lighter? However, I'm thinking that i'll stick with a usb cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 10:39 AM   #2
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

You are definitely best off using a cable, everyone agrees the wireless charging is slow and makes phones heat up like crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 01:51 PM   #3
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Stick with charging with a USB cable, wireless charging is very inefficient as the tech said, and the extra heat created in the process is not good for the lifespan of the battery in your phone either.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:10 PM   #4
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

+1 for the cable. Use the Type C USB in the centre armrest for your cable if you have one, it charges much faster than the USB between the cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 06:29 PM   #5
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
+1 for the cable. Use the Type C USB in the centre armrest for your cable if you have one, it charges much faster than the USB between the cup holders.
Each to their own of course, but I would argue that slow charging might be slower, but fast charging will have an impact on the lifespan of the battery in your phone.

If you change your phone every few years anyway, this will be less of a concern, I keep my phone for around 4 - 5 years, so it matters to me.
Appreciate 0