Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e Suspension

12-11-2019, 05:53 AM   #1
MrT80
Rep
Drives: 335d / 330e

330e Suspension

So I have a 330e M sport on order, expected Jan. Portimao blue, only extra is sun protection glass.

I've only just realised that there is no M sport suspension on the 330e. I like the firmer ride and the road manners when pushed of the M sport suspension and I'm concerned that it will be too soft. Do all the 330e have the same suspension regardless of spec?

What are peoples thoughts please? We previously had a 330d xdrive which was the same, no Msport suspension available and that wallowed terribly.

Has anyone remapped yet? I've seen a belgian tuner getting 400+ bhp! OMG.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #2
Warrior54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT80 View Post
So I have a 330e M sport on order, expected Jan. Portimao blue, only extra is sun protection glass.

I've only just realised that there is no M sport suspension on the 330e. I like the firmer ride and the road manners when pushed of the M sport suspension and I'm concerned that it will be too soft. Do all the 330e have the same suspension regardless of spec?

What are peoples thoughts please? We previously had a 330d xdrive which was the same, no Msport suspension available and that wallowed terribly.

Thanks
From what I understand, the ride is a lot firmer in the G20's!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
dejansokolovski
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20, BMW 520D F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior54 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
From what I understand, the ride is a lot firmer in the G20's!
Yeah can confirm it's pretty firm already, I would then however need to lower it for that sake of just looking better... it's like a suv!

But also I'm worried for it too be too stiff?! ;/

Also, H&R etc doesn't have springs for 330e yet or ever.. damnit!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:

Thanks
@Blackers will have an opinion, his 330e M Sport has the standard suspension and he's been running it for a fair few months.

Many 330e's (including mine) have been spec'd with adaptive suspension to mitigate potential poor ride. I thought the standard M Sport suspension on a 320d M Sport (18" wheels with non-RFT) was way too uncomfortable and also weirdly inconsistent (as if a poorly programmed computer was controlling things).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I've got a 330e in adaptive and have driven a 330d tourer in adaptive, both MSports and the suspension was quite different. I generally prefer a firmer ride, and also have a M4 on coilovers. However I think the 330e suspension is truly excellent- it manages to be very well riding, very absorbent of our shitty roads, but without being at all wallowy. I found the 330d to be stiffer for no appreciable gain, mainly in sharpness of rebound.

I had a F31 335d previously and know how crap they were as standard and I can assure you the new 330e is night and day better.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
Lorcan3608.00
      12-12-2019, 02:33 AM   #6
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I've got a 330e in adaptive and have driven a 330d tourer in adaptive, both MSports and the suspension was quite different. I generally prefer a firmer ride, and also have a M4 on coilovers. However I think the 330e suspension is truly excellent- it manages to be very well riding, very absorbent of our shitty roads, but without being at all wallowy. I found the 330d to be stiffer for no appreciable gain, mainly in sharpness of rebound.

I had a F31 335d previously and know how crap they were as standard and I can assure you the new 330e is night and day better.
I have a new 330e M Sport with no adaptive. I recently read a report from someone saying how hard and disappointed they were with the firm ride. (It hurt his wife's back etc) With a week to go before delivery I became really concerned...but what a waste of time worrying. Its slightly firm but not in any way unpleasant and I now prefer it to my just departed F30 320i Luxury. The car is on 19" wheels too. I avoided having to buy the M Sport Plus pack which in turn meant I could avoid rear sun protection glass! So if you have a 330e on its way, you do not need M Sport Plus pack for the adjustable suspension. I couldn't be happier with the suspension set up.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #7
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

I really enjoy the adaptive suspension on my 330e, I've tried several adaptive suspensions and this one is one of the best, there is a clear difference between comfort and sport, but in either of the modes the car almost has no lean on the corners, it gets sharper and more precise in sport though. Also it is well planted, and not bumpy and spongy like my Golf R was in comfort mode which didn't give enough confidence to corner fast in this mode, the 330e remais flat and corners fast even in comfort. For the price, in my opinion, it is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #8
rhosneigr
Rep
Drives: G20 330e Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody320 View Post
I have a new 330e M Sport with no adaptive. I recently read a report from someone saying how hard and disappointed they were with the firm ride. (It hurt his wife's back etc) With a week to go before delivery I became really concerned...but what a waste of time worrying. Its slightly firm but not in any way unpleasant and I now prefer it to my just departed F30 320i Luxury. The car is on 19" wheels too. I avoided having to buy the M Sport Plus pack which in turn meant I could avoid rear sun protection glass! So if you have a 330e on its way, you do not need M Sport Plus pack for the adjustable suspension. I couldn't be happier with the suspension set up.
I would echo that. Having come from a 440i with adaptive which I went to partly because I had a F31 SE 330d before that which I found too soft and flabby on standard.

I can say the 330e Sport Pro 18" on standard feels really good to drive - lot more taught than the F31 and perhaps not far off the 440i with adaptive, but not so taught it jars on our poor road surfaces. Building up miles now and upping speed on cornering etc and it is a really nice engaging drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
@Blackers will have an opinion, his 330e M Sport has the standard suspension and he's been running it for a fair few months.

Many 330e's (including mine) have been spec'd with adaptive suspension to mitigate potential poor ride. I thought the standard M Sport suspension on a 320d M Sport (18" wheels with non-RFT) was way too uncomfortable and also weirdly inconsistent (as if a poorly programmed computer was controlling things).
Evening Tricky 😊
My 330e M Sport is on non run flat 18' wheels and I am very pleased with it. The right balance, not too stiff that it jars and fortunately not too soft that it bottoms out on sleeping policemen. Most of my commute is through the centre of a EDinburgh, so a mix of cobbles and poorly maintained tarmac roads, it handles it all very well. Our 4 series has sport suspension on 19 run flats which is just too hard and unforgiving.
I have been on winter Continentals for the last 4 weeks and it feels just right. even the road noise is less than I would expect probably due to the windscreen and extra sound proofing the 3 series has.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:50 AM   #10
MrT80
Rep
Drives: 335d / 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Evening Tricky 😊
My 330e M Sport is on non run flat 18' wheels and I am very pleased with it. The right balance, not too stiff that it jars and fortunately not too soft that it bottoms out on sleeping policemen. Most of my commute is through the centre of a EDinburgh, so a mix of cobbles and poorly maintained tarmac roads, it handles it all very well. Our 4 series has sport suspension on 19 run flats which is just too hard and unforgiving.
I have been on winter Continentals for the last 4 weeks and it feels just right. even the road noise is less than I would expect probably due to the windscreen and extra sound proofing the 3 series has.
That's good to know, thanks. I'm coming from a 420d Msport with 18" run flats, I like the way this drives, so hopefully will not be disappointed. 2nd Jan delivery expected.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #11
Tenembaiken
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Quote:

Thanks
I have a 330e with 19" rims and 255 wheels and no adaptive suspension. I would say that is a perfect balance on sportiness and comfort ride

No issues in the corners. I chage my mini JCW for the 330e and I feel secure to take any corner.
Appreciate 0