Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Choice between two option packs

12-08-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Choice between two option packs

There are two packs available here both costing about €2000. I can't have both so any advice to help me choose between them would be great!

A. Laser lights and High Beam Assist - €1900
B. Electric front seats with driver's memory, lumbar support and sunroof - €2250

Can anyone who has the manually operated seats comment on their ease of adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 02:55 AM   #2
Bumble
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series. Aiudi Q3

Ease of manual operation is exactly the same as the old F30 (ie. pretty easy) . It probably all depends if you will be the only driver, in which case once you have got them positioned they will not be altered till you get rid of the car in 3 years time, or if several (many) different drivers will be swapping in and wanting to change the positioning. For me the main concern was to have electrically heated, leather is blooming cold on winter mornings.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:05 AM   #3
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

I went for the Premium pack (sunroof and seats) rather than the lights. The standard lights in the UK are excellent and most of my driving is in Edinburgh so they are more than adequate. The sunroof brightens the car up inside, I have mocha leather. I was coming from a c class estate with a panoramic roof which co incidentally also had memory seats so it made sense for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:11 AM   #4
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
I went for the Premium pack (sunroof and seats) rather than the lights. The standard lights in the UK are excellent and most of my driving is in Edinburgh so they are than adequate. The sunroof brightens the car up inside, I have mocha leather. I was coming from a c class estate with a panoramic roof which co incidentally also had memory seats so it made sense for me.
It's just a pity you can't get HBA as a stand-alone option.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
It's just a pity you can't get HBA as a stand-alone option.
I bet this and other aids that just need a software change (rather than parts adding) will be made available for an OTA upgrade in due course.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 04:10 AM   #6
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
I bet this and other aids that just need a software change (rather than parts adding) will be made available for an OTA upgrade in due course.
Unfortunately UK cars are not supplied with the HBA button on the indicator stalk so would require more then just a software update unless they can make it a software switch on iDrive

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 04:26 AM   #7
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

I went for both.
The laser lights are fantastic especially in the winter when it’s dark
early. I obviously use them less in the summer.
The Premium pack is nice, the sunroof is a great design and there is little wind noise with it open and obviously makes the interior lighter.
The electric seats are good but once you have set the seats you tend not to use the electric switches. The memory part of the electric seats is priceless especially if somebody in a garage etc repositions the seats.
If it’s one or the other, I’d go for the Premium pack.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 05:12 AM   #8
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

Choose based on your individual circumstances:

1) If you do lots of driving on dark unlit country roads, then Laser Lights would be worth it. However, if you do mainly city driving, then the Laser Lights would seldom even come on.
2) If you share the car with other people, and the driver's seat has to be regularly adjusted, then the memory seats would suit your needs better.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #9
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drykoke View Post
Choose based on your individual circumstances:

1) If you do lots of driving on dark unlit country roads, then Laser Lights would be worth it. However, if you do mainly city driving, then the Laser Lights would seldom even come on.
2) If you share the car with other people, and the driver's seat has to be regularly adjusted, then the memory seats would suit your needs better.
I live in the country with plenty of dark roads and deer about and nobody ever drives my car except me. But I do think manually operated seats look a bit cheap in this class of car.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #10
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
I live in the country with plenty of dark roads and deer about and nobody ever drives my car except me. But I do think manually operated seats look a bit cheap in this class of car.
With that information, you obviously need the laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #11
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Yes, I think that would make most sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #12
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I had similar dilemma, but went without the laser lights. It was the HBA that is most valuable really, so I'm another who think bmw have been pretty cheeky with how they've done that.

The adaptive LEDs are pretty bloody good though and I've got used to switching the main beam on and off!

My wife and i both use the car so memory seats is a must have.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
There are two packs available here both costing about €2000. I can't have both so any advice to help me choose between them would be great!

B. Electric front seats with driver's memory, lumbar support and sunroof - €2250

Can anyone who has the manually operated seats comment on their ease of adjustment?
Standard headlights are excellent, best I've ever had, although lack of HBA is annoying. Will have to try a car with Laser Lights one day to see the comparison but dipped and main have great range and clarity + switching on the fog lights adds some welcome "close up" brightness on dark roads, without blinding anyone (they are MUCH brighter than any fog lights I've had before).

Having had past BMW's with the "shift your weight" height adjustment I'd say the standard manual seats are very easy to adjust (pump up and down lever) and they have loads of adjustment. I guess if you have lots of different people driving or a radically different driving position from your partner then memory electric seats would be useful.

If you're into music have you ordered the HK stereo? That is well worth having, sounds pretty good (I've got a Naim/B&W set up at home).

I do miss having a sunroof so I'd probably settle for the electric seats/sunroof if I had a choice. The M Sport in particular is pretty "dark" inside with the charcoal headlining.

Last edited by tricky6; 12-08-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #14
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
Ease of manual operation is exactly the same as the old F30 (ie. pretty easy) . It probably all depends if you will be the only driver, in which case once you have got them positioned they will not be altered till you get rid of the car in 3 years time, or if several (many) different drivers will be swapping in and wanting to change the positioning. For me the main concern was to have electrically heated, leather is blooming cold on winter mornings.
The height adjustment in the new car is a pump lever for up and down (like VAG cars) compared to the lift and slide affair in the F30. This is a positive step forward for the new car as I always really struggled to get the height of my seat to the same position once it had been moved by someone else driving the car.

I have spec'd both packs in my 330e on order, but having driven a demo with the Laser Lights back in April I can confirm the light they emit is good but its not a huge difference to the LED lights which IMO are already very good.

Only reason I went the Laser Light option is the DRL's are different to the non Laser Lights which I think improves the cars look aesthetically from the front.

Link shows the difference between the two options;

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1590478
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #15
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

When you come round to sell it most buyers will expect electric seats and will probably not be interested in what headlights the car has.

Just saying, like....

Ps my 330i has every option pack plus driver assist and park assist plus.....a lucky find at a BMW main dealers...I told them what I wanted and they sold me the MDs Company car!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #16
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

[QUOTE=Chuckyarla;25547040]There are two packs available here both costing about €2000. I can't have both so any advice to help me choose between them would be great!

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #17
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

[QUOTE=Vossy;25619703]
Quote:

Sorry. Brainfart
Appreciate 0