Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Binotto on the Coronavirus, Vettel's Contract

03-19-2020, 05:01 AM   #1
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Binotto on the Coronavirus, Vettel's Contract

“I think so [it should be more suited to Vettel], at least from the first indications of Barcelona," he says. "Having said that, one of the best skills of the great drivers is to be able to adapt to the car you have available and to get the most out of it. For our part, we must try to help them achieve this, which we do with both drivers."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...JnJdBd0U4.html ..
      03-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

The news is Zak Brown approached Vettel. This news makes it more probably y that Sainz may be Ferrari's top pick to replace Vettel. As a Vettel fan and even though I'm a Ferrari fan I want him to leave and McLaren looks like a good option with their Mercedes engines. Lando and Vettel will be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
The news is Zak Brown approached Vettel. This news makes it more probably y that Sainz may be Ferrari's top pick to replace Vettel. As a Vettel fan and even though I'm a Ferrari fan I want him to leave and McLaren looks like a good option with their Mercedes engines. Lando and Vettel will be interesting.
I like Sainz, but I'd prefer if Ferrari signed Ricciardo

Will be interesting to see if Vettel gets dropped by Ferrari and, if so, if he decides to ride around the mid pack in a midfield team or if he decides to end his F1 career. I can't imagine he'd enjoy not having a chance to win. And a demotion down the field would make it almost impossible to get back up to a top team.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58900.50
      03-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post

Will be interesting to see if Vettel gets dropped by Ferrari and, if so, if he decides to ride around the mid pack in a midfield team or if he decides to end his F1 career. I can't imagine he'd enjoy not having a chance to win. And a demotion down the field would make it almost impossible to get back up to a top team.
or it takes the pressure off from Vettel to win another champ and he might enjoy racing again..
minn1913970.00
      03-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

My friends I really wonder when we can watch the first race of this year .At least if there is one ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 4
apexit41230.50
yco5722.50
minn1913970.00
M5Rick58900.50
      03-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
msk340i
Major
Rep

Quote:

Vettel is Ferrari's number 1 pick. So Ferrari will not drop him but he might drop them. McLaren with a Mercedes engine in 2021 (or is it 2022 now?) With the change in rules may not be a midfield team.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Vettel is Ferrari's number 1 pick. So Ferrari will not drop him but he might drop them. McLaren with a Mercedes engine in 2021 (or is it 2022 now?) With the change in rules may not be a midfield team.
I'd argue that Vettel WAS Ferrari's number one pick. Given how they already extended LeClerc's contract for multiple years and the high profile mistakes Vettel has made (not to mention being overshadowed by his younger teammate), he seems to be on thin ice. If Ferrari is serious about contending for a championship, they have to have two solid drivers. LeClerc is only going to get stronger and better (see Verstappen as an example). Vettel hasnt been able to get back to his dominant self since he started coming under pressure. At least, thats my take on it.

Btw, McLaren already announced that they will still be switching to Mercedes power next year as originally intended. I wonder how much they will have to redesign their car considering it was made to fit a Renault power unit.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...p4TUotwfZ.html
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58900.50
      03-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
My friends I really wonder when we can watch the first race of this year .At least if there is one ...
I really hope we get to see some races this year. The winter break was long enough without any action.

If they cant get enough races in this year to have an official championship, it would be cool if they ran a few exhibition races and tried a few of the more controversial ideas that were thrown around on how to make the racing more interesting (reverse grid, qualifying races, etc). I'm opposed to such changes for the official championship, but these ideas would be neat to see in exhibition races.
Appreciate 3
minn1913970.00
M5Rick58900.50
      03-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #9
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
or it takes the pressure off from Vettel to win another champ and he might enjoy racing again..
It might, but I think there was an article recently in which he was quoted as saying racing in the midfield wouldnt be as much fun. I cant seem to find the article though....
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58900.50
      03-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #10
msk340i
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'd argue that Vettel WAS Ferrari's number one pick. Given how they already extended LeClerc's contract for multiple years and the high profile mistakes Vettel has made (not to mention being overshadowed by his younger teammate), he seems to be on thin ice. If Ferrari is serious about contending for a championship, they have to have two solid drivers. LeClerc is only going to get stronger and better (see Verstappen as an example). Vettel hasnt been able to get back to his dominant self since he started coming under pressure. At least, thats my take on it.

Btw, McLaren already announced that they will still be switching to Mercedes power next year as originally intended. I wonder how much they will have to redesign their car considering it was made to fit a Renault power unit.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...p4TUotwfZ.html
No need to argue. Binotto said multiple times that Vettel is their number one pick next to Leclerc. Maybe you're confusing number one driver with number one pick.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Good for Sainz if he were to get a seat in the red car.

Wouldn't mind either Sainz or Ricciardo getting Vettel's seat.

I'd prefer Sainz stay put and continue to develop further along with McLaren putting out designs that bring them closer to the top 3.

Vettel going to McLaren just feels weird to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #12
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
No need to argue. Binotto said multiple times that Vettel is their number one pick next to Leclerc. Maybe you're confusing number one driver with number one pick.
Good point, I did mix up number one driver with number one pick.

Personally, I dont put much faith on what Binotto or any other team principal says to the media, especially when it comes to the driver market. There's a stark difference between what they say and what happens behind closed doors. It feels like two completely different worlds!
Appreciate 3
mk1-fan581.00
M5Rick58900.50
      03-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
msk340i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Good for Sainz if he were to get a seat in the red car.

Wouldn't mind either Sainz or Ricciardo getting Vettel's seat.

I'd prefer Sainz stay put and continue to develop further along with McLaren putting out designs that bring them closer to the top 3.

Vettel going to McLaren just feels weird to me.
Driver input is extremely important in F1 and teams benefit a lot when they have an experienced driver. Vettel in McLaren when they start using a new engine with a new set of rules makes a lot of sense.
Arrivabene and Binotto both gave Vettel a lot of credit for helping engineers and designers improve their cars. Norris can benefit from having Vettel next to him and McLaren's (or any other team) investment in Vettel is to help development and their other driver.
Appreciate 1
apexit41230.50
      03-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I really hope we get to see some races this year. The winter break was long enough without any action.

If they cant get enough races in this year to have an official championship, it would be cool if they ran a few exhibition races and tried a few of the more controversial ideas that were thrown around on how to make the racing more interesting (reverse grid, qualifying races, etc). I'm opposed to such changes for the official championship, but these ideas would be neat to see in exhibition races.
All we can do is hope ...But as we know the whole situation depends from COVID-19
And for the moment it's not looking good my friend .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
apexit41230.50
minn1913970.00
M5Rick58900.50
      03-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #15
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
All we can do is hope ...But as we know the whole situation depends from COVID-19
And for the moment it's not looking good my friend .
Unfortunately so. If only we could get everyone to treat this pandemic seriously....
Appreciate 3
minn1913970.00
M5Rick58900.50
      03-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #16
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately so. If only we could get everyone to treat this pandemic seriously....
Indeed my friend . According the latest in New York . It's going really bad
Here in Belgium we got today 34 new deaths ... => https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Stay safe and healthy !

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 03-24-2020 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 3
apexit41230.50
minn1913970.00
M5Rick58900.50
      03-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #17
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Indeed my friend . According the latest in New York . It's going really bad
Yeah, New York leads the country in total cases and deaths. No really surprising when you consider the population density in NYC. Other parts of the state are quite a bit more spread out though.

I'm perfectly content staying at home for the time being. We have plans to fly to Poland in July to see family, will be interesting to see if that will still be possible.
Appreciate 3
minn1913970.00
M5Rick58900.50
      03-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #18
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, New York leads the country in total cases and deaths. No really surprising when you consider the population density in NYC. Other parts of the state are quite a bit more spread out though.

I'm perfectly content staying at home for the time being. We have plans to fly to Poland in July to see family, will be interesting to see if that will still be possible.
I think that's doubtful , as we can see that China is been hit already 4 months by the virus .
Of course let us hope ...

Appreciate 3
apexit41230.50
minn1913970.00
M5Rick58900.50
      03-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #19
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think that's doubtful , as we can see that China is been hit already 4 months by the virus .
Of course let us hope ...
Yeah, the interesting thing about China is that their numbers can't be trusted. So we really don't know what the situation looks like there. All we know is that is was bad and probably still is
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58900.50
      03-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #20
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the interesting thing about China is that their numbers can't be trusted. So we really don't know what the situation looks like there. All we know is that is was bad and probably still is
Indeed . The Chinese always try to cover their annoying situations . As we saw in the beginning they even denied .
A Chinese ophthalmologist posted the whole situation on the Internet . That's why they put him in jail . Few weeks later the poor man died from Corona .
Probably their numbers are much higher .

Appreciate 3
apexit41230.50
M5Rick58900.50
      03-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #21
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Indeed . The Chinese always try to cover their annoying situations . As we saw in the beginning they even denied .
A Chinese ophthalmologist posted the whole situation on the Internet . That's why they put him in jail . Few weeks later the poor man died from Corona .
Probably their numbers are much higher .
China's actions have been very concerning for a while. I recently read that a very wealthy Chinese businessman has recently gone missing after harshly criticizing China's leader for the way he has handled the virus situation. I know we dont have any hard facts to support it, but I think we all know what happened to him
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58900.50
      03-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #22
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Quote:
China's actions have been very concerning for a while. I recently read that a very wealthy Chinese businessman has recently gone missing after harshly criticizing China's leader for the way he has handled the virus situation. I know we dont have any hard facts to support it, but I think we all know what happened to him
is that business man Jack Ma?
the one Elon Musk talked with..