Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Cheese, olives, pate, etc...

12-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #45
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I don't have a picture of it loaded up but I made a charcuterie board for my MIL since she hosts large family get togethers so often. Was a good Christmas gift.

Very nice....
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      12-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #46
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
The only good thing that comes out of New Jersey...... tomatoes.....
Lolol
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #47
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
hope everyone had a great new years and lots of great food...we had so much for the nye party, and the app platters were great!

...then on new years day i did a prime rib for home made french dip
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #48
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
hope everyone had a great new years and lots of great food...we had so much for the nye party, and the app platters were great!

...then on new years day i did a prime rib for home made french dip
Spread looks great!

French dip sandwiches are a reason unto themselves to do a prime rib. I got 3 meals of Prime Rib French dips from our Christmas prime rib along with the au jus and creamy horseradish sauce.

Tonight I’m having a chicken Caesar cause it feels like my blood is half prime rib and half cheese
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #49
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Thanks!!! Yea luv prime rib!!. Ate soo much over the holidays its diet time!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #50
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Lets talk olive oil, as it is the foundation of all good food, imho. seriously.

If you would like to experience that taste which you are looking for, I may suggest you look up this company and order from them. I suggest you adopt a tree and get the full package. It will change your life.
I watched this

She went to Italy and went to an olive oil maker. It was pretty fascinating. Listening to them describe olive oil made me really want to seek out high quality oil. I know that with some Italian restaurants I eat at, I can taste the olive oil well after I am done eating. I think that is what one of the guys referred to as one of the things olive oil needs - a lingering effect.

She also goes to a place that makes parmaessan cheese from red cows. I never knew of such intricacies about that type of cheese, but it's another rabbit hole I want to go down.

Now that my kitchen is finally finished, I can't wait to buckle down and start working on getting some quality ingredients to make dishes.

Great thread! I need to get some ideas on what to give guests as snacks. I am a horrible host.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #51
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
You have to use extra virgin olive oil.
My "main" olive oil is extra virgin, but I do also buy 'regular' (pure) olive oil because it has a higher smoke point. A good example of when I use Pure olive oil is when I coat/season my cast iron skillets after each use. I've tried using avocado oil because of its even higher smoke point and healthy fat, but I find it goes bad quicker than I use it; and I don't find real value in the higher prices.

Mainly I use Costco's "Toscano." I can't really say I've been choosy about it; I just read once it was very good. I've been happy enough not to look for anything else. 🤷🏻*♂️
Attached Images

01-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #52
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Quote:
Its one of those things u don't realize until you can't have them. I've eaten them near daily and often grown them throughout my life and I couldn't imagine not having great tomatoes available on demand.

The only good thing that comes out of New Jersey...... tomatoes.....
Hyperbole. There's good reason NJ is called the "Garden State."
Every year my mother grows so many fruits and vegetables that she begs my sister and I to take some away. Definitely can't make a better gravy (aka tomato sauce) than from mom's tomatos straight from the garden!
      01-05-2020, 12:27 AM   #53
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My "main" olive oil is extra virgin, but I do also buy 'regular' (pure) olive oil because it has a higher smoke point. A good example of when I use Pure olive oil is when I coat/season my cast iron skillets after each use. I've tried using avocado oil because of its even higher smoke point and healthy fat, but I find it goes bad quicker than I use it; and I don't find real value in the higher prices.

Mainly I use Costco's "Toscano." I can't really say I've been choosy about it; I just read once it was very good. I've been happy enough not to look for anything else. 🤷🏻*♂️
Correct - extra virgin is better for finishing and regular olive oil is better for cooking because of the smoke point. There’s also a place for Canola or Peanut as a more neutral flavor oil for frying/cooking meats.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #54
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
On snacking-

I can't leave Whole Foods without making myself an olive assortment. So damn good.

Triscut crackers are always around for when I want to nibble on something.

My favorite Italian bakery usually has a chickpea salad I love. It's mostly chickpeas and peppers in a little olive oil. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I'm not above cutting off a chunk of Locatelli Pecorino Romano cheese that's usually used mostly for grating. Having a piece in my fridge is predictable as the sun rising in the East. Goes great with red wine.

Growing up my mother would suggest I have a slice of cheese if I needed to hold myself over. It wouldn't be unusual for me to still grab a slice of Swiss or cheddar, but I'm trying to eat better and this is an example of what I'm trying to stop.

A little yogurt is always an option.

One overarching theme for me, is snacks have to last long before spoiling. Im single and travel a lot (100+ hotel rooms a year). I don't run through food like a family of four.
Attached Images

01-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #55
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Hyperbole. There's good reason NJ is called the "Garden State."
Every year my mother grows so many fruits and vegetables that she beggs my sister and I to take some away. Definitely can't make a better gravy (aka tomato sauce) than from mom's tomatos straight from the garden!
Agree. Central and southern NJ, and southeast PA are excellent gardening areas, for all types of plants. There is a reason the Philadelphia Flower Show is one of the best in the country. Large and beautiful sod farms in central NJ. Good blueberries from NJ. Lush, colorful and complex residential gardens/landscaping all through southeast PA. Azaleas, rhododendrons and hydrangea thrive in this area.

There was (is?) an NPR radio show in Philadelphia on gardening. There is a well established home garden culture in the mid-Atlantic, in addition to substantial commercial operations.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #56
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
On snacking-

I can't leave Whole Foods without making myself an olive assortment. So damn good.

Triscut crackers are always around for when I want to nibble on something.

My favorite Italian bakery usually has a chickpea salad I love. It's mostly chickpeas and peppers in a little olive oil. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I'm not above cutting off a chunk of Locatelli Pecorino Romano cheese that's usually used mostly for grating. Having a piece in my fridge is predictable as the sun rising in the East. Goes great with red wine.

Growing up my mother would suggest I have a slice of cheese if I needed to hold myself over. It wouldn't be unusual for me to still grab a slice of Swiss or cheddar, but I'm trying to eat better and this is an example of what I'm trying to stop.

A little yogurt is always an option.

One overarching theme for me, is snacks have to last long before spoiling. Im single and travel a lot (100+ hotel rooms a year). I don't run through food like a family of four.
I agree on the Locatelli, that's my go to for grated cheese. For cutting off a chunk, and to shave on salads, I use Reggiano Parm.
      01-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #57
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Lets talk olive oil, as it is the foundation of all good food, imho. seriously.

I suppose I take for granted where I live and the availability of high quality products as well as family/friends in Italy.

So for all, Olive oil is a product just like many others, there are good and then so so, and you should understand what the grades are.

Extra Virgin - for eating, drinking cooking, its all that I use. It is the first pressing of the olives

Virgin - second pressing of the olives.

Pure - third pressing of those same olives!

anything after pure is likely not 100% olive oil, there is no 'light' olive oil in reality.

so then you want to focus on Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and like many things, there is a very wide variety and price points, but trust me, like with everything, you get what you pay for.

Olive oil is green, it has to be if its from green olives! if it doesn't have a green tint well that tells you the quality.
However, many people many not appreciate this and think that buying a bottle of oil for a few $$ is all the same..no, olive oil is pricy when you buy high quality and rightly so as its the foundation for all that you eat when you cook and want to eat great food. I often have family friends send me by the gallon fresh pressed oil from Sicily. Now I know that is not possible for most, so I have a great option from a grower that has expanded globally.

If you would like to experience that taste which you are looking for, I may suggest you look up this company and order from them. I suggest you adopt a tree and get the full package. It will change your life.
So I ordered a bottle at the end of December, which arrived today. I was a little surprised to see an expiration date of May 30. Usually EVOO has a shelf life of over a year, so I wrote in to inquire why it is such a short life. Waiting to hear back.

I’m sure we can use it before then but will be disappointed if they sent me an old bottle that has been sitting around rather than something fresh. Have you ever noticed short expiration dates when you get a new bottle?
      01-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #58
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I agree on the Locatelli, that's my go to for grated cheese. For cutting off a chunk, and to shave on salads, I use Reggiano Parm.
I put both in when I make meatballs or chicken parm.
      01-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #59
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
So I ordered a bottle at the end of December, which arrived today. I was a little surprised to see an expiration date of May 30. Usually EVOO has a shelf life of over a year, so I wrote in to inquire why it is such a short life. Waiting to hear back.

I’m sure we can use it before then but will be disappointed if they sent me an old bottle that has been sitting around rather than something fresh. Have you ever noticed short expiration dates when you get a new bottle?
I had done the adoption program last year where they send several bottles over several months and had used most of them with a few months so didnt check at the time tbh. I just checked an empty bottle i had kept and an unopened bottle and actually they both also have the 5/30/20 use by date so I would ask too.

I often get gallon cans sent over direct from friends/family in Sicily from local farms which are not in any branded cans and have no labels no dates nothing!!! But they are bottled(canned in this case) fresh and then sent direct so its truly the best oil, but for most peps its too pricey to go this route.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410876.00
      01-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #60
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

My friend went all out with a bunch of boards for his bday recently
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RickFLM410876.00
      01-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #61
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had done the adoption program last year where they send several bottles over several months and had used most of them with a few months so didnt check at the time tbh. I just checked an empty bottle i had kept and an unopened bottle and actually they both also have the 5/30/20 use by date so I would ask too.

I often get gallon cans sent over direct from friends/family in Sicily from local farms which are not in any branded cans and have no labels no dates nothing!!! But they are bottled(canned in this case) fresh and then sent direct so its truly the best oil, but for most peps its too pricey to go this route.
Thanks for the info. It seems like they sent me some stuff left over from last year, so I’ll see if I can get them to exchange for a fresher bottle.
      01-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #62
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Here is what they wrote back:

The expiration is not an actual expiration. It’s just when the olio nuovo (new harvest). We pack it after picking and for up to 2yr it’s still considered a New oil. In that time it’s natural filtration process mellows it out and the oil is just a filtered version of itself. It will be less acerbic and smoother. That’s the great thing about olive oil. It develops different levels of flavors as it matures.

And. A traditional oil you find on the shelf is already 2 yrs old by the time it gets to the shelf and then has an additional shelf life. As long as it’s stores in a cool dry place you should be fine open or not.

The bottles has a much longer shelf life than 2020. That’s just what we are required to put because it’s labeled Olio nuovo.
      01-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #63
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Here is what they wrote back:

The expiration is not an actual expiration. It’s just when the olio nuovo (new harvest). We pack it after picking and for up to 2yr it’s still considered a New oil. In that time it’s natural filtration process mellows it out and the oil is just a filtered version of itself. It will be less acerbic and smoother. That’s the great thing about olive oil. It develops different levels of flavors as it matures.

And. A traditional oil you find on the shelf is already 2 yrs old by the time it gets to the shelf and then has an additional shelf life. As long as it’s stores in a cool dry place you should be fine open or not.

The bottles has a much longer shelf life than 2020. That’s just what we are required to put because it’s labeled Olio nuovo.
Great info! Makes sense as its pressed and shipped direct from farms.

Now to the good part, open up that bottle and take a taste!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #64
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
My friend went all out with a bunch of boards for his bday recently
Looks great 😁😁
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #65
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
On snacking-

Said chickpea salad... I love this shit.
Attached Images

01-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #66
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Well I did some more research and read a review from someone who claimed to like it so much they bought a bottle.... hmmm... found their site and they seems to have a store. This is the only olive oil they sell on the store.

https://www.amazon.com/Oro-Bailen-Fa...grocery&sr=1-4

Gonna give it a shot and see!
Just wanted to update that I got this. Wasn't bad, but wasn't what I remember. Very grassy taste, but did not taste like olives. Maybe I'm just miss remembering. I did manage to find the hazelnut tasting iberico though, that was good!
Appreciate 0