Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Real life pics of production G22 4 Series spotted

06-11-2020, 04:16 AM   #309
Paragon1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 SS2 F80 ZCP 666M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelo View Post
Either this or an angry koala....
That, or they used hitlers mustache as a design inspiration...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:24 AM   #310
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
My M2 is the last BMW I will own. There is Senna Ugly and then there is BMW ugly.

This ugliness runs at a premium of 39000£ for a diesel model. LMAO.

Between Brexit and Coronavirus and this grill, I am expecting to see Aliens released from Are 51.
Not sure how you put Brexit and the coronavirus in the same sentence.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #311
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Apparently, BMW had so much raving customers' feedback on the delicate and balanced front view of the 7, that they wanted to really treat us with their new 4. They must have thought: let's take this winning concept one giant step further.

Man, that 7 is truly awful. Never grown on me, never improved. Just massively disproportionate, not appealing. With the 4, it is marginal for sure, but gotta say, when it comes down to it, I won't be voting with my wallet for the design, so that is what it is. I don't even have the subtle desire or interest. Which definitely speaks to how I actually feel about it. I am glad and hoping the 2 and 3 series are preserved and not all hacked up.

None of past BMW designs have really had to "grow on me" most have been instant appreciation.

Though entry BMWs have pretty much always been lame, they have never been truly astoundingly terrible. That black one is just unbelievably bad. Atrocity.

Gotta say, from the sounds of it, interviews, and so forth, not really digging this new head of design. Sounds kind of arrogant combined with also a lack of skill and design intuition, not a good combination.
      06-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #312
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
I agree with all of that. Was just disagreeing that the Chinese just like and buy what the west likes.
Mainland Chinese with money only buy what's 'hot' in the West! What celebrities in the US and Europe drive, carry and wear.

No need for BMW to reinvent the wheel by building something different. Totally flawed mentality!

The only exception might be colour options on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #313
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Very ugly, IMO. The double-kidney shape simply does not fit aestetically when it comes to large-sized grills. Why BMW cannot see this?
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #314
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Apparently, BMW had so much raving customers' feedback on the delicate and balanced front view of the 7, that they wanted to really treat us with their new 4. They must have thought: let's take this winning concept one giant step further.

Man, that 7 is truly awful. Never grown on me, never improved. Just massively disproportionate, not appealing. With the 4, it is marginal for sure, but gotta say, when it comes down to it, I won't be voting with my wallet for the design, so that is what it is. I don't even have the subtle desire or interest. Which definitely speaks to how I actually feel about it. I am glad and hoping the 2 and 3 series are preserved and not all hacked up.

None of past BMW designs have really had to "grow on me" most have been instant appreciation.

Though entry BMWs have pretty much always been lame, they have never been truly astoundingly terrible. That black one is just unbelievably bad. Atrocity.

Gotta say, from the sounds of it, interviews, and so forth, not really digging this new head of design. Sounds kind of arrogant combined with also a lack of skill and design intuition, not a good combination.
Before I saw the 7 in person, I thought it's so ugly but when I went to the dealer, man it looked so nice and very proper car IMO
Appreciate 2
heavyD^23688.50
Fhey454.50
      06-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #315
seepete753
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanzanite F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
I've already signed the next fun cars' PO, and it's not coming from Munich (or fucking Mexico/SC for that matter).

RB

Soooooo... whatcha doing with that Le Mans Blue F80??? I may know a guy who would buy it

Past Cars: Le Mans Blue 2010 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT // Cobb // BMW Performance Exhaust // AFE DCI Stage 2 // ER CP // Gloss Black BMW Performance Spoiler Rep // BMW Performance Black Grills // 19" Black Avant Garde m359s // TGS HPB LED Interior Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #316
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantosh Seewooruttun View Post
Very ugly, IMO. The double-kidney shape simply does not fit aestetically when it comes to large-sized grills. Why BMW cannot see this?
So true. I can't believe this ever made it out of the design studio. And it's not just the shape, but that chrome dot matrix design within the grill itself is just unsightly since it covers too much of the front of the car.

It will be interesting to see how sales are for the first 2 years with this grill design before the refresh, which we can rest assured will involve a revised grill in some form. And the aftermarket should make a mint redoing these grills for enthusiasts like us.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #317
golf_234
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
Before I saw the 7 in person, I thought it's so ugly but when I went to the dealer, man it looked so nice and very proper car IMO
Interesting, I will keep an open mind next time I am in the stealership.
I have noticed modern BMWs in general just don't photograph very well, for whatever reason. When shooting my F30 I definitely have to get the angles right to represent how the car actually looks.
      06-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #318
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
I always tell people wait a few months and everyone will get used to changes and praise new model! I cannot say the same this time. They will probably sell a lot of these to Asian market, so they don't care. I'm sure most fans of F32/F82 are going to go another route.
F82 owners won’t go another route, because even if some of them don’t like the new design, they’re mostly enthusiasts and they care more about engine - that 500+ HP -, transmission, performance, balance, driving experience, technology, engineering... List goes on.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #319
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:

Based on what are you judging his skills and design intuition? Your taste? You think very highly of your personal opinions.

Btw, any designer would laugh at loud at this:

Quote:
Good design is art, and the best of art is mostly polarizing. I can draw a car that anyone would like. Hack, even if you photoshop the grills on this car, most dinosaurs here jump on it “I’d buy that”. Does that mean those photo shoppers are good designers? Should they be hired by BMW? No. Just like a mediocre modern artist can draw a sunset, and everyone would love it. But a Picasso painting would be polarizing. Actually best and most revolutionary designs should grow on you. Instantly liking it might not be a good sign.

Personally, I did like F82 and bought one right after it was released. But looking back, F82 actually comes out as a very forgettable design. G22 and G82 design won’t be.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 06-11-2020 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fhey454.50
      06-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #320
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, I will keep an open mind next time I am in the stealership.
I have noticed modern BMWs in general just don't photograph very well, for whatever reason. When shooting my F30 I definitely have to get the angles right to represent how the car actually looks.
I still haven't warmed up to the 7er and its grills which I find more appropriate for an SUV than sedan, but my dealer also pre-installs front plates which gives the 7er an overbite look. I liked the pre-LCI, however truthfully if I was looking for a flagship an S-Class would be my only choice and I wouldn't bother looking at the competition.
      06-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #321
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
The 7 really does look much better in person.
Appreciate 1
Nomana1469.00
      06-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #322
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
So true. I can't believe this ever made it out of the design studio. And it's not just the shape, but that chrome dot matrix design within the grill itself is just unsightly since it covers too much of the front of the car.

It will be interesting to see how sales are for the first 2 years with this grill design before the refresh, which we can rest assured will involve a revised grill in some form. And the aftermarket should make a mint redoing these grills for enthusiasts like us.
Big grills with big headlights and big fender muscles aren’t designed to be ‘pretty’ or ‘beautiful’. They’re designed to be impactful, assertive, powerful, head turner. That’s why they don’t photograph well, but they impress in person. Especially this G82 will be very much in that category.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 2
Fhey454.50
heavyD^23688.50
      06-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #323
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
No, but mods look nice. Most cars look just fine in stock form. Individualization just gives it a personal touch.
I came from modding bimmers back in the E46 days. Today, I am not into heavily modified cars anymore. Stock cars are fine. When enthusiasts are looking for used cars they gravitate towards a clean stock car. oftentimes the stock car with age is not only more desirable. It looks better as well.
VetteGuy845.50
      06-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #324
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I came from modding bimmers back in the E46 days. Today, I am not into heavily modified cars anymore. Stock cars are fine. When enthusiasts are looking for used cars they gravitate towards a clean stock car. oftentimes the stock car with age is not only more desirable. It looks better as well.
As did I. I bought my first BMW, a 330ci, in 2000-2001, then promptly moved to the E46 M3 as soon as it was released. About 14 BMW's later I am still with the brand despite short stints with Infiniti and Range Rover.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #325
golf_234
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Based on what are you judging his skills and design intuition? Your taste? You think very highly of your personal opinions.

Btw, any designer would laugh at loud at this:

Good design is art, and the best of art is mostly polarizing. I can draw a car that anyone would like. Hack, even if you photoshop the grills on this car, most dinosaurs here jump on it “I’d buy that”. Does that mean those photo shoppers are good designers? Should they be hired by BMW? No. Just like a mediocre modern artist can draw a sunset, and everyone would love it. But a Picasso painting would be polarizing. Actually best and most revolutionary designs should grow on you. Instantly liking it might not be a good sign.

Personally, I did like F82 and bought one right after it was released. But looking back, F82 actually comes out as a very forgettable design. G22 and G82 design won’t be.
You're right, I do think highly of my opinions when they have been thought through, great observation. Thank you, I appreciate it.

My comment in fact is based on experience, I am a mechanical engineer with over 20 years of design experience and am the head mechanical engineer for a company known worldwide, that I am quite sure you know of. So my comment is based on thousands of hours of study and work. Not an armchair opinion.

My gripe with Dukec is not that he has bad ideas in general, I appreciate that he is set to push things forward, definitely shooting for the muscular, with allusions to some heritage form, but I have noticed discrepancy from his concept car work to production, in that the concepts look good but much less so in a MP form. So that signals to me a designer that has a little bit of work to do in that area. I don't care if he is the head designer at BMW, doesn't mean I can't and won't have a clear opinion on his work.

Some design can be polarizing, but the greats are fairly universally celebrated. How many people have you met who hate the Ferrari 250 Berlinetta or the E46 CSL? Going out on a limb and going to say close to zero, or you just know ignorant fringe type people.

I definitively disagree with you on the F series being forgettable from a design standpoint, and think it is one of the more daring designs they have done , especially in the beautiful M sport trims like mine and in my signature. Much better than the E90 which is mostly an "ok" design.

Observe the following designs. They speak for themselves. Wouldn't say that about the G22 so far.

Cheers mate and good luck to you out there.
Attached Images

06-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #326
golf_234
Captain
Rep

One last image... which one does not belong?

I will give you credit in that it at least could be a stepping stone, so I won't go so far as to deny that, and in some ways appreciate that, but I am not going to delusionally agree that Dukec hit the nail on the head on this iteration. Not even close. A stepping stone, maybe. Certainly not voting with my wallet. Will have to see with the LCI or next model. Long 6 years ahead. For the record, evaluated this design for quite some time, but won't buy, which is the tell for me personally. @cortex, let me ask you, would you sell your 540 to buy this, and is there hesitation at all if so? If you hesitate, you have to call your own bluff, especially if you are thinking in context of design greats as we have been.

06-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #327
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
My M2 is the last BMW I will own. There is Senna Ugly and then there is BMW ugly.

This ugliness runs at a premium of 39000£ for a diesel model. LMAO.

Between Brexit and Coronavirus and this grill, I am expecting to see Aliens released from Are 51.
I'm probably with you Ghostrider. I'm probably not getting an allocation for a M2 CS due to low supply, plus these new M3/M4's are ugly, huge, heavy (nearly 4000 pounds for AWD Competition) and won't have DCT.

I can only imagine the reviews on YouTube showing everyone how big the grilles are. It is such a distraction and a deal breaker for many. Not to mention the other turnoffs mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #328
golf_234
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I'm probably with you Ghostrider. I'm probably not getting an allocation for a M2 CS due to low supply, plus these new M3/M4's are ugly, huge, heavy (nearly 4000 pounds for AWD Competition) and won't have DCT.

I can only imagine the reviews on YouTube showing everyone how big the grilles are. It is such a distraction and a deal breaker for many. Not to mention the other turnoffs mentioned above.
To their credit, the G20 3 is a stunner, the 2 series / M2 is also excellent, and the 5 is also awesome. So the model lineup does have many options for different styles and personalities, and each model is becoming more and more unique. I do appreciate that. I still am optimistic. I don't think it is necessarily true that all models are going to resemble the 4 eventually. One unfortunate thing about the 4 that is true on pretty much all BMWs but is just really bad on this one is the discrepancy between the base model and the M Sport version. It is just really bad to have your base model rolling around town that is an absolute atrocity.

I mean, back in the day, base model. It's no ZHP but still beautiful and a solid platform

06-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #329
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

G29 is also one very good looking car, the best of the G-Series. Z4-M40i is a strong contender as my next car.

I too never cared for the E90 styling both exterior and interior. To me the E46/E36 were better styled cars, inside and out.
      06-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #330
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
G29 is also one very good looking car, the best of the G-Series. Z4-M40i is a strong contender as my next car.

I too never cared for the E90 styling both exterior and interior. To me the E46/E36 were better styled cars, inside and out.
Z4 M40i was almost the perfect car for me, only thing its missing is the proper transmission of a roadster.