Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New 2021 - 2 Map Update Available

05-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #45
Chrisspencer
Rep
Drives: G21 330i

Would someone be kind enough to post a link to the maps download. I cannot for the life of me find the option to download it. On the BMW connected site it just tells me my car will download it over the air, the OTA updates don't seem to work though.

I have done it now..... Jesus it is hard to find!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #46
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisspencer View Post
Would someone be kind enough to post a link to the maps download. I cannot for the life of me find the option to download it. On the BMW connected site it just tells me my car will download it over the air, the OTA updates don't seem to work though.

I have done it now..... Jesus it is hard to find!
Already did! Check first page of this thread.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2022, 02:35 PM   #47
bagsofbeans
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330D xDrive Touring

Painful experience using BMW Download Manager > Dont!

Jeez what a pain in the a$$ this can be from start to finish, this ought to be simpler. Thanks to this thread for managing to figure it out. For those operating with a Mac and potentially larger USB devices (I used a 256 GB Sandisk), the following worked for me:

1) Format Sandisk 256 GB (or other) into 64 GB EXFAT using Mac "Disk Utility" (might have to create a partition in which case format whole size into MacOS file version, partition into the correct size and only when finally in the right size make it into the correct format).

2) Download the map update to desktop using the BMW Download Manager. This is all I use BMW DM for as it then fails to recognise a USB Drive formatted using Mac Disk Utility, so on the advice of others I chose to do the rest manually and unzip the required map files to the USB device using Archive Utility.

3) Unzip the contents of the downloaded maps file using right click (open with Archive Utility)

4) Copy these unzipped files onto the USB Stick

5) Take to the car and plug the USB Stick in to the USB-C port under the armrest (or if USB-A then I imagine the other port located beside cup holders will function similarly)

6) This will prompt the update screen to populate automatically
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 04:29 AM   #48
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

bagofbeans - what version of macOS are you running?

As mentioned in a recent post on this subject, a couple of us on here who have installed the latest version, macOS Ventura 13.0, found that the Download Manager doesn't recognise the USB drive as being formatted as ExFAT. We have done map updates several times in the past using the Download Manager and same USB drives without any problems. I have assumed the problem has emerged as a result of the OS update.

The issue has been reported to the Connected Drive team and they have now escalated it to their technical support team. I'm awaiting their response.

In the meantime I'll try your method. I'd be grateful if you would post a screenshot of the top level file listing on the USB drive that you used so that I can check I've got the correct files.

TIA

Last edited by sjb993; 11-02-2022 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 05:46 AM   #49
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I’ve always unzipped the download manually because the BMW software is just so frigging slow. The method works just fine with Ventura.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 06:10 AM   #50
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I’ve always unzipped the download manually because the BMW software is just so frigging slow. The method works just fine with Ventura.
Do you copy the top level folder produced by unzipping the downloaded file onto the USB drive (i.e. the folder show in the first screenshot) or the files within that folder (i.e. the files shown in the second screenshot)?

TIA
Attached Images

Last edited by sjb993; 11-02-2022 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0