Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK EVO | End of Term M340i

05-12-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
Alpine110
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Touring

EVO | End of Term M340i

Subscription copy of EVO arrived today with the End of Term Report for the M340i Touring- the monthly reviews were hugely influential in my decision to order a G21 M340i Touring.

Worth a read if you can get a copy.
Appreciate 3
cramsnik385.50
OM3RTA391.00
      06-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine110 View Post
Subscription copy of EVO arrived today with the End of Term Report for the M340i Touring- the monthly reviews were hugely influential in my decision to order a G21 M340i Touring.

Belatedly here, I absolutely agree. What a moving final piece that was: especially the paragraph that reflected on the fact that 'one person' at BM would have made this car happen. It's so true. I feel enveloped by my M340i in a way that makes it feel like someone wanted to make the whole experience of driving it seem bespoke and precise. Anyway, great writing in general by EVO, as ever. And a particularly gratifying monthly instalment on this model, which actually counterpoints their original--and rather brusque and snippy--review of the 40i when it first came out. That contrast of opinion between the early review and these subsequent 'fast fleet' diaries is interesting in its own right.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 03:34 AM   #3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Quote:

Belatedly here, I absolutely agree. What a moving final piece that was: especially the paragraph that reflected on the fact that 'one person' at BM would have made this car happen. It's so true. I feel enveloped by my M340i in a way that makes it feel like someone wanted to make the whole experience of driving it seem bespoke and precise. Anyway, great writing in general by EVO, as ever. And a particularly gratifying monthly instalment on this model, which actually counterpoints their original--and rather brusque and snippy--review of the 40i when it first came out. That contrast of opinion between the early review and these subsequent 'fast fleet' diaries is interesting in its own right.
Agree I'm glad they did a long term as the original EVO review was one of the very few average reviews of the m340i. I think the reviewer had it in their head it was going to be rawer and nearer to an m3 and so was disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
Alpine110
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Touring

I agree it was an incredibly well written end of term article. There is an excellent letter in Evo 287 that acknowledges this, might be written by someone on here.

I had some correspondence with Stuart Gallagher on Twitter and he mentioned that for some reason the EVO G21 Longtermer handled quite differently to the original G20 Sunset Orange Press Car, a number of journalists on the EVO COTY who drove both confirmed the same. He said he’d not missed a long term et as much as the M340i with no rival getting close.

In the knowledge the M340i is now listed as a 4 Star car .
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I agree it was an incredibly well written end of term article. There is an excellent letter in Evo 287 that acknowledges this, might be written by someone on here.

I had some correspondence with Stuart Gallagher on Twitter and he mentioned that for some reason the EVO G21 Longtermer handled quite differently to the original G20 Sunset Orange Press Car, a number of journalists on the EVO COTY who drove both confirmed the same. He said he'd not missed a long term et as much as the M340i with no rival getting close.

In the knowledge the M340i is now listed as a 4 Star car .
That's so interesting re. their opinion of the original press car. It surely explains it. I thought something must be awry: there's no way the 40i justified that kind of critique; and the judiciousness and sustained applause of Stuart G's subsequent evaluation just exposed the blindspots of that earlier review. If you ever correspond with him on Twitter again, do pass on the gratitude!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #6
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

Quote:

Is this the one? https://magsdirect.co.uk/magazine/evo-issue-285-may-21/

I'd like to get a copy to keep.

Likewise their reviews were an influence on my decision to get my M340i touring.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

"Is this the one? https://magsdirect.co.uk/magazine/evo-issue-285-may-21/

Likewise their reviews were an influence on my decision to get my M340i touring."

The next issue along (June: issue 286) is the one you want! The letter of appreciation in response, mentioned above, is in the current (July) issue. Definitely worth perusing that end-of-term piece from Stuart G: a model of balanced and rigorous autojournalism.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 04:00 AM   #8
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
"Is this the one? https://magsdirect.co.uk/magazine/evo-issue-285-may-21/

Likewise their reviews were an influence on my decision to get my M340i touring."

The next issue along (June: issue 286) is the one you want! The letter of appreciation in response, mentioned above, is in the current (July) issue. Definitely worth perusing that end-of-term piece from Stuart G: a model of balanced and rigorous autojournalism.
Awesome thanks, I've ordered the June issue
Appreciate 0