Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Rev counter in Hybrid drive mode

05-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

So, Im probably being dumb here and its obvious, but can I get a rev counter up in Hybrid drive mode?

I've no idea what the default gauge top right (with a scale of 0-100 and e-boost at the top) is actually trying to tell me, so would find a rev counter there much more useful (when the ICE was running).

Thanks.
      05-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Yup - it's in the menu somewhere, I think in the "displays" section of the idrive?
You can choose power meter or Rev counter.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 1
willougs265.00
      05-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Yup - it's in the menu somewhere, I think in the "displays" section of the idrive?
can't seem to find any such option. I'll search the manual for power meter. Thanks.
I've no idea what the point of that is.
      05-12-2021, 04:46 AM   #4
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
So, Im probably being dumb here and its obvious, but can I get a rev counter up in Hybrid drive mode?

I've no idea what the default gauge top right (with a scale of 0-100 and e-boost at the top) is actually trying to tell me, so would find a rev counter there much more useful (when the ICE was running).

Thanks.
The car doesn't have any revs when in electric though so what would it show? Pretty sure in hybrid when the engine kicks in its changes, not sure what to but definitely goes from blue to white.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:55 AM   #5
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
The car doesn't have any revs when in electric though so what would it show? Pretty sure in hybrid when the engine kicks in its changes, not sure what to but definitely goes from blue to white.
I understand that, but even a rev counter sat at zero during battery miles and springs into life when ICE starts would be more useful than the 0-100 "power available" scale, or whatever it is.

It does turn from blue to white, but the display stays the same.

Maybe its more useful than I give it credit for... what do other people use it for? What data do they gleam from it in every-day driving?
      05-12-2021, 07:22 AM   #6
francesco_ita
Italy
Rep
Drives: G21 BMW 330e xDrive MSport

In my opinion when driving in Hybrid mode the 0-100% indicator is more useful than the rev. You always know how much % you are asking to the electric motor and you can easly stay below 40% (in hybrid) to avoid the ICE to power on when not needed. It helps you to save more energy/fuel.
In any case, if you want the rev when driving in hybrid mode, you can set your sport individual setting both engine and gearbox to comfort and set suspension (if you have the adaptive) and steering whatever you prefer. In this way, when you set the car in sport individual, you have the normal hybrid mode but with the rev. I've done this configuration on mine, setting only the suspension to sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco_ita View Post
In my opinion when driving in Hybrid mode the 0-100% indicator is more useful than the rev. You always know how much % you are asking to the electric motor and you can easly stay below 40% (in hybrid) to avoid the ICE to power on when not needed. It helps you to save more energy/fuel.
In any case, if you want the rev when driving in hybrid mode, you can set your sport individual setting both engine and gearbox to comfort and set suspension (if you have the adaptive) and steering whatever you prefer. In this way, when you set the car in sport individual, you have the normal hybrid mode but with the rev. I've done this configuration on mine, setting only the suspension to sport.
Makes sense to my way of thinking.

Looking at the User Manual...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #8
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Guess its a case of trying to adjust driving style then. I dont necessarily have the inclination to stare at the needle trying to keep it between 0-40% (and 40% of what? available power?).
I just need to get in and drive to get me to where I need to be.

Im probably just incorrectly assuming that its a useful gauge for something, and telling me something important, but to me it just seems a random scale/graphic to fill a gap in the instrument cluster.

So, another potentially stupid question... any idea what the blue symbol of the car with the thermometer over the top of it means? (at the top of the 0-100 scale). I cant see any reference to that in the User Guide app or the physical handbook.

Last edited by willougs; 05-12-2021 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #9
francesco_ita
Italy
Rep

Quote:

So, another potentially stupid question... any idea what the blue symbol of the car with the thermometer over the top of it means? (at the top of the 0-100 scale). I cant see any reference to that in the User Guide app or the physical handbook.
It means that the ICE is too cold and the maximum power isn't available. So no extraboost and I suppose a limited amount of horse power from ICE, I'm not sure but in this situation it could also automaticcaly limit the max rpm.
Appreciate 2
willougs265.00
      05-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco_ita View Post
It means that the ICE is too cold and the maximum power isn't available. So no extraboost and I suppose a limited amount of horse power from ICE, I'm not sure but in this situation it could also automaticcaly limit the max rpm.
Ah ok. thanks. That makes sense. That probably also explains why the scale only goes up to 60 when that's displayed.
      05-13-2021, 01:41 AM   #11
francesco_ita
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok. thanks. That makes sense. That probably also explains why the scale only goes up to 60 when that's displayed.
Yes, exactly. 60% max when ICE is cold. Anyway it warms up very quickly, I would say less than a minute and after you'll have full power.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:05 AM   #12
thelegendofyrag
Rep

Personally I think it's quite useful as it's showing the percentage of power you are using in hybrid mode. That's the purpose, I tend to use it when on a journey or part of a journey only using electric to keep the power down, thus getting more from the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:06 AM   #13
thelegendofyrag
Rep

Personally I think it's quite useful as it's showing the percentage of power you are using in hybrid mode. That's the purpose, I tend to use it when on a journey or part of a journey only using electric to keep the power down, thus getting more from the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 06:47 AM   #14
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:

Thanks.
If you move the gear selector lever to the "manual" setting, the display changes to a more traditional set-up, with a rev counter. In manual mode, however, you can not use electric power only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Maybe on the M340i it is, but not on the 330e.
Appreciate 0