Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW * rated tyres G20

05-16-2021, 06:17 AM   #1
jon0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive G20

BMW * rated tyres G20

Whilst I appreciate the star rated tyres are specifically for BMW - what is the material impact of not using the star rated ones?

Looking at replacing my Pirelli runflats with MPS4 S (225/40/19 front and 255/35/19 rear), but finding the star rated ones is like getting an anti vaxxer to have a jab!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
ROSSCOE
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i SUNSET ORANGE

The MPS4 S are the way to go,I managed to get the * star rated in April eventually from Pro Tyres ( paid £620 fitted) it took them 2 weeks to source them. I have been told that if you put none * star rated on they could worm out of warranty claims on xdrive if you have problems, i did not want to take the chance so kept on trying. As you say they are like gold dust at the moment, Michelin seem to be concentrating on run of the mill production just now.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon0 View Post
Whilst I appreciate the star rated tyres are specifically for BMW - what is the material impact of not using the star rated ones?

Looking at replacing my Pirelli runflats with MPS4 S (225/40/19 front and 255/35/19 rear), but finding the star rated ones is like getting an anti vaxxer to have a jab!
Why are you swapping out the pirelli tyres?
I'm on my first week of these tyres and think they feel more performance orientated than the bridgestones on last one. I'm nervous from previous experience of pirelli that they will not have the longevity of miles, but we'll see...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 03:25 AM   #4
Azure350z
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

I've just had pilot sport 4 s fitted all round.

The fronts are the bmw star marked ones and are 225/40/R19

The rears I couldn't find the bmw star marked ones anywhere so got the non star marked ones which are 255/35/ZR19

It looks like the rear star marked ones are z but the non star marked are zr

This means I've now got z in the front and zr on the rear.

Does anyone know if it matters?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Shouldn't matter at all - unless you get issues with your 4wd and take it to BMW for warranty work.
But logically? No, no issues.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:50 AM   #6
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

You won't get any issues, I had a leaky transfer box on my F31, was spotted on first tyre change, so when taking the star marked tyres off, no one said a thing that I had non-star marked tyres when the car was with BMW.

I did my home work before it went in, just in case I needed to argue and found the EU have passed a law about tyre tolerances. If they want to sell them they must be inside car manufacturers tolerances, if not they'll lose certification to sell them in the EU.
Unless you've seen Michelin state "not suitable for x-drive", you're good.
Can't imagine Michelin have built a different factory, with a different supply chain just to make rubbish tyres!

That was 4 years ago, so not clue if that EU reg is still relevant now we're out of the EU?
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2021, 04:30 AM   #7
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTo View Post
You won't get any issues, I had a leaky transfer box on my F31, was spotted on first tyre change, so when taking the star marked tyres off, no one said a thing that I had non-star marked tyres when the car was with BMW.

I did my home work before it went in, just in case I needed to argue and found the EU have passed a law about tyre tolerances. If they want to sell them they must be inside car manufacturers tolerances, if not they'll lose certification to sell them in the EU.
Unless you've seen Michelin state "not suitable for x-drive", you're good.
Can't imagine Michelin have built a different factory, with a different supply chain just to make rubbish tyres!

That was 4 years ago, so not clue if that EU reg is still relevant now we're out of the EU?
Good to know. I’m having standard Michelin pilot sport 4 fitted as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COA630Juf_U

Interesting video comparing star marked tyres vs normal.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      05-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
Azure350z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post

Very interesting video. Glad I've got the star marked on the front for the better turn in. Shame I couldn't find any of the star marked rears but at least with the aftermarket ones I've got better wet grip. I'm only in a 330i so sure they will be fine for the power I have.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #10
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post

Excellent video, thanks for sharing!

An interesting comment at around the 5 minute mark regarding BMW's X-Drive system being more sensitive to overall tyre size diameter than some other 4WD set-ups. That would tend to suggest M340i owners who are looking to keep their car long-term ought to stick to star marked tyres if they want to avoid potential issues with the X-Drive system; however, if you want to do that and move away from run-flats I imagine that might reduce your options somewhat? Anyone know what BMW star marked conventional tyres are available for the M340i?

The other point was it seemed the star marked tyre was designed to be better in the dry but the trade-off was it wasn't quite so good in the wet. I guess it depends on how and where you drive but for me I'm not sure that's a compromise I'd be happy to accept for a road tyre in the UK! Having said that this might have been specific to the star marked tyre for the M3 as the video concentrated on that car and the demands of the M-team engineers. Maybe I need to contact this Jonathan Benson chap for a bit of advice when my tyres need replacing!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #11
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Excellent video, thanks for sharing!

Anyone know what BMW star marked conventional tyres are available for the M340i?

The other point was it seemed the star marked tyre was designed to be better in the dry but the trade-off was it wasn't quite so good in the wet. I guess it depends on how and where you drive but for me I'm not sure that's a compromise I'd be happy to accept for a road tyre in the UK! Having said that this might have been specific to the star marked tyre for the M3 as the video concentrated on that car and the demands of the M-team engineers. Maybe I need to contact this Jonathan Benson chap for a bit of advice when my tyres need replacing!!
I'm running star marked PS4S in the standard 19" staggered sizes - though i doubt these have been tuned in the same way the 19"/20" set up on the M3/M4 have been. They certainly don't feel firmer on the front end bite than other PS4S's i've had, and they're also extremely good in the wet (again like other PS4S's i've had).
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 2
JNW13122.00
      05-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #12
Stevie_B
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i X-Drive Touring (due May

Trying to get hold of a full set of Star rated PS4Ss at the moment and like others have said it's proving difficult - I can find fronts but getting quoted 16+ weeks for rears.
Not sure if there would be any issues with having Star rated fronts and Aftermarkets in rear...? I highly doubt it but I'm no tyre expert.

Also makes me question if a dealer would just end up putting aftermarkets on too given availability of Star rated ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
Azure350z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_B View Post
Trying to get hold of a full set of Star rated PS4Ss at the moment and like others have said it's proving difficult - I can find fronts but getting quoted 16+ weeks for rears.
Not sure if there would be any issues with having Star rated fronts and Aftermarkets in rear...? I highly doubt it but I'm no tyre expert.

Also makes me question if a dealer would just end up putting aftermarkets on too given availability of Star rated ones.
That's what I did in the end and it's driving nicely. Star marked up front and regular on the rear.

I couldn't even get quoted a 16 week lead time, everyone just told me they couldn't get hold of them at the moment and the system was showing unavailable. Only place I found that did have them was kwik fit but they won't sell you the tyres in their own and I don't trust them with my car for them to fit them.

Camskill cancelled my order, local BMW dealer said they couldn't get hold of them, none on blackcircles or oponeo. Ended up using costco at a great price and they showed me their screen which said the star marked rears were not available to order so settled with the non star marked ones.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #14
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

Seemingly there is a 1% tolerance with xdrive. Check out this video -

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:12 PM   #15
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

1% tolerance on x-drive regarding tyres in sh*t talk!!!!
Bmw dealer will try to flog you tyre insurance where they will replace only one tyre, not pair!
example:
when tyres on front axel are worn out (after 25k miles)dealer will replace them only and leave rears with 3-4 mm remaining trad as they are fine for now, where is tolerance for x-drive then? non existing!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #16
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
1% tolerance on x-drive regarding tyres in sh*t talk!!!!
Bmw dealer will try to flog you tyre insurance where they will replace only one tyre, not pair!
example:
when tyres on front axel are worn out (after 25k miles)dealer will replace them only and leave rears with 3-4 mm remaining trad as they are fine for now, where is tolerance for x-drive then? non existing!
Given the known potential problems it can create personally there's no way I'd combine a pair of brand new tyres on one axle with tyres down to 3-4 mm on the other on an X-Drive car. However, I'd also add that in my experience it wouldn't be necessary - on my F31 335d the tyre wear was always very even across both axles so come replacement time I always changed the full set rather than a pair at a time.

In the context of this thread the thing I'm more pondering is whether or not the full set of tyres actually needs to be star rated. Given the problem with X-Drive is caused by differences in rolling circumference between the axles to me it would seem more important to ensure all four tyres are the same (i.e. not mixing brands and/or star and non-star rated) so you don't get variability between them which could in turn affect diameter and rolling circumference; however, I'm not an engineer so I might be barking up the wrong tree with this?!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
In the context of this thread the thing I'm more pondering is whether or not the full set of tyres actually needs to be star rated. Given the problem with X-Drive is caused by differences in rolling circumference between the axles to me it would seem more important to ensure all four tyres are the same (i.e. not mixing brands and/or star and non-star rated) so you don't get variability between them which could in turn affect diameter and rolling circumference; however, I'm not an engineer so I might be barking up the wrong tree with this?!
There shouldn't really be an issue with a set of matching tyres, although if not of the same spec, could be a problem. Not unknown for users to have say, Michelin on one axle and some other brand on the other.

It's the staggered sets which can have the greatest issues. Generic tyres may have wider tolerances for RC than the approved tyres. Extremes of +/- tolerances within ETRTO specifications can mean a staggered set can be way outside the 1% often referenced. BMW can control the tolerances to their specification during manufacture, for approved tyres.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      05-26-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
There shouldn't really be an issue with a set of matching tyres, although if not of the same spec, could be a problem. Not unknown for users to have say, Michelin on one axle and some other brand on the other.

It's the staggered sets which can have the greatest issues. Generic tyres may have wider tolerances for RC than the approved tyres. Extremes of +/- tolerances within ETRTO specifications can mean a staggered set can be way outside the 1% often referenced. BMW can control the tolerances to their specification during manufacture, for approved tyres.
Like a lot of BMW's the M340i runs a staggered set-up (19" wheels front and rear but slightly wider and lower profile at the back). I was thinking a matching set of conventional tyres - in exactly the same sizes as the original run-flats - should be ok but are you saying that's not necessarily the case as the manufacturing tolerances for non-star tyres might allow a difference of more than 1% in rolling circumference front to rear?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 04:11 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Like a lot of BMW's the M340i runs a staggered set-up (19" wheels front and rear but slightly wider and lower profile at the back). I was thinking a matching set of conventional tyres - in exactly the same sizes as the original run-flats - should be ok but are you saying that's not necessarily the case as the manufacturing tolerances for non-star tyres might allow a difference of more than 1% in rolling circumference front to rear?
That's always the risk with non approved tyres. Not necessarily an issue, but not unknown. The E83 X3 was particularly prone to this issue with both 18" & 19" staggered sets. Generic sizes just didn't work on many examples. The conclusion was, BMW definitely had different manufacturing tolerances for the sizes used.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      05-27-2021, 08:21 AM   #20
Redturtle
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3, Volvo xc40, bmw m340

I saw this the other day, how true it is *shrugs*

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:19 AM   #21
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redturtle View Post
I saw this the other day, how true it is *shrugs*

I don't doubt it is but for the layman on the road, we aren't going to notice the differences between the tyres, I would only imagine extreme driving on track would show up the idiosyncrasies of each make up of compounds relative to the tyres.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 01:37 AM   #22
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

The x drive system must be pretty shite if it can be damaged by tyres outside of a 1% tolerance.
Appreciate 0