Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i - running in and fuel

05-16-2021, 05:56 AM   #1
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

M340i - running in and fuel

Hi all - picking up my new M340i saloon at the end of the week. Any feedback on petrol type and running in? On the former, I ran Tesco Momentum 99 on my mk7.5 Golf R. On the latter, always seems to be a split of follow the book vs. as you like provided you warm it up. I tend to go with the book with full but not too aggressive use of rev range. Earliest mileage to launch? Earliest mileage Full throttle acceleration? (when warm)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:26 AM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
Hi all - picking up my new M340i saloon at the end of the week. Any feedback on petrol type and running in? On the former, I ran Tesco Momentum 99 on my mk7.5 Golf R. On the latter, always seems to be a split of follow the book vs. as you like provided you warm it up. I tend to go with the book with full but not too aggressive use of rev range. Earliest mileage to launch? Earliest mileage Full throttle acceleration? (when warm)
Pretty sure the run in period is 1200m / 2000km. It was in the manual and I followed it pretty much. I’ve only filled mine with the higher octane fuel since i got it 11 months ago. I don’t do many miles so don’t really care about the extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

I've got 63 Miles on the clock so far and taking it easy until 1000 Miles.
No kick down, no full bore acceleration.
With respect to fuel, I'll be using Std unleaded, the car is designed to run on it.

It's bloody economical under pootling I can tell you. Just drove around 25 Miles to pick the kids up, on the A14, Cruise set at 65mph. Result, 48 mpg over that distance.
Not why I bought this car clearly, but good to know if needed for a longer journey, 48v mht crazyness me thinks.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #4
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I did as per the manual; avoided full load, going over 4500rpm, and going over 100mph.
Once the first 1000 miles were done I started to use a bit more revs each time the car was warm, so by the time I'd done about 1200 miles I'd hit the redline at least once.

I've used 95 octane so far but at some point I will try half a dozen tanks of 99 and see how it feels and see if there's a difference in economy.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
Makefish
Ex Moddy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
......I've used 95 octane so far but at some point I will try half a dozen tanks of 99 and see how it feels and see if there's a difference in economy.
Economy, yeah right...... we all want to know if there is any notable difference in performance!
X5 45e in Arctic Grey with Merino Leather, Technology Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack, Shadow Line Pack, Sky Lounge, Acoustic Glass, Tow Bar, Sun Protection Glass, Sky Lounge, Carbon Mirror Caps and Laser Lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makefish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
......I've used 95 octane so far but at some point I will try half a dozen tanks of 99 and see how it feels and see if there's a difference in economy.
Economy, yeah right...... we all want to know if there is any notable difference in performance!
On the M2C's I can't tell any performance difference but they do seem to have slightly better throttle response. Negligible effect on economy.
On previous cars I've seen good economy gains from using 99 octane which effectively negated the additional cost.

The last time I rolling roaded back to back was on an N52 and the curves were the same up to 6700rpm, it was only above that the better fuel showed any gains. Net result? Extra 6bhp right at the top.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Same, taking it easy (ish) not going over 5k and only when warm. TBH you don't need to go that high to make swift progress but it is so tempting just to floor it everywhere!
270miles in now and the engine is just fantastic so given a few k will be as great as I remember the b58 to be in my f31. Getting a nice noise now and is louder as expected, obviously unplugging the exhaust flap helps.

I use Optimax or esso 99 now as I do a lot of short runs so I'd rather have more additives and cleaners in the fuel.
As also mentioned the mht is really good and I'm very impressed which I didn't think I would be as works better on a petrol it seems.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #8
Makefish
Ex Moddy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
...... Getting a nice noise now and is louder as expected, obviously unplugging the exhaust flap helps.
Apologies for the off topic question but this statement caught my eye.... what exactly have you done and what's the net result in doing this?
X5 45e in Arctic Grey with Merino Leather, Technology Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack, Shadow Line Pack, Sky Lounge, Acoustic Glass, Tow Bar, Sun Protection Glass, Sky Lounge, Carbon Mirror Caps and Laser Lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 12:55 AM   #9
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Apologies for the off topic question but this statement caught my eye.... what exactly have you done and what's the net result in doing this?
Simply unplugging the exhaust flap actuator on the right-hand side exhaust outlet to give a better sound. I did it not so much for sound but so I didn’t have a situation where exhaust vapour was only coming out of one side giving the appearance of a fake exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 02:43 AM   #10
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Quote:
Simply unplugging the exhaust flap actuator on the right-hand side exhaust outlet to give a better sound. I did it not so much for sound but so I didn’t have a situation where exhaust vapour was only coming out of one side giving the appearance of a fake exhaust.
You're looking at maybe 20/25 quid extra for that run in period using 99. Momentum is fine, not quite as good as v power but a darn side better than the rest of the supermarket fuel.

For 25 quid, it's worth it !
Appreciate 0