Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Drive Recorder questions

05-17-2021, 12:56 PM   #1
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Drive Recorder questions

1. Can someone link me to the "how-to" for this?

2. Does it automatically activate and detect when someone hits your car while parked if you're not there, like Tesla does?

My car got hit in the parking garage and they're working to pull security camera footage to try and see if they can get the plate of the person who hit me. I think the BMW's cameras are both better quality and better angled to get the car / person who hit me but not sure how to see if it captured anything as it was > 24 hours ago at this point.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

2. Does it automatically activate and detect when someone hits your car while parked if you're not there, like Tesla does?

My car got hit in the parking garage and they're working to pull security camera footage to try and see if they can get the plate of the person who hit me. I think the BMW's cameras are both better quality and better angled to get the car / person who hit me but not sure how to see if it captured anything as it was > 24 hours ago at this point.
Check this out for instructions to playback recordings(if any).

The iDrive Drive Recorder app needs to be configured for automatic/manual recording.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...e_Recorder.pdf
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #3
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:

Sorry to hear that, so annoying. Unfortunately it doesn’t do parking mode.

I’ve just got mine booked in to have a Thinkware T700 fitted with the Cellink Neo battery for this very reason. It has a SIM so can notify you of an incident immediately. My old car was hit when parked 3 years ago and was able to claim against them when they denied it as I had the footage.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

I found the following review from earlier today because I was curious myself. Other members have reported that it doesn't record while parked — quite disappointing:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1746594
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #5
Tanzanite G20
Tanzanite
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i xdrive G20

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
Quote:

Sorry to hear that, so annoying. Unfortunately it doesn’t do parking mode.

I’ve just got mine booked in to have a Thinkware T700 fitted with the Cellink Neo battery for this very reason. It has a SIM so can notify you of an incident immediately. My old car was hit when parked 3 years ago and was able to claim against them when they denied it as I had the footage.
What's does the thinkware do? And how does it work? I think that something that BMW should have in all there vehicles. The most nervous time is when the car is parked and if it get hit how could I do anything to catch who ever did it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

This is where Tesla scores points with their "Sentry Mode". I would love to have that capability with our BMW.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
This is where Tesla scores points with their "Sentry Mode". I would love to have that capability with our BMW.
I think this is the benefit of an EV, it has plenty of battery! In my last car, I had the dashcam wired into the car battery and set the cam to turn off at a certain voltage or after 48 hours. Even so, with my short journeys it did cause issues especially in the winter. Nothing that an overnight charge didn’t sort.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
I think this is the benefit of an EV, it has plenty of battery! In my last car, I had the dashcam wired into the car battery and set the cam to turn off at a certain voltage or after 48 hours. Even so, with my short journeys it did cause issues especially in the winter. Nothing that an overnight charge didn’t sort.
Well for us 2021 model owners, we do have the mild hybrid setup.
That may not provide us with any extra battery however?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzanite G20 View Post
What's does the thinkware do? And how does it work? I think that something that BMW should have in all there vehicles. The most nervous time is when the car is parked and if it get hit how could I do anything to catch who ever did it.
Below is a good summary. I tend to have mine set in time-lapse so it’s taking a frame of footage every second whilst parked. If it gets hit, it wakes up and starts filming real-time and uses the LTE connection to alert you immediately.

https://thinkwaredashcam.eu/t700/
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #10
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Below is a good summary. I tend to have mine set in time-lapse so it’s taking a frame of footage every second whilst parked. If it gets hit, it wakes up and starts filming real-time and uses the LTE connection to alert you immediately.

https://thinkwaredashcam.eu/t700/
Whole point of opting for Driver Recorder (+$100) was so I didn't have to buy a separate dash cam setup since I have 360 degree camera view...is there a way to just load the software and use the existing BMW hardware?
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:07 AM   #11
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Whole point of opting for Driver Recorder (+$100) was so I didn't have to buy a separate dash cam setup since I have 360 degree camera view...is there a way to just load the software and use the existing BMW hardware?
The Drive Recorder is a free option in the UK but it's extremely basic and low quality. It's better than nothing, but no competition for the 3rd party offerings.

Not heard of any way of hooking into the BMW cameras.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #12
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Mineral White

Regrettably the Drive Recorder is not a 'free' option in the UK but either comes as part of the Tech Plus pack or, if you option it separately, you have to spend £650 ($910) on Parking Assistant Plus.

"The Drive Recorder allows you to record a video from the vehicle environment and play it back on the central Control Display or via USB export also on your device. Important vehicle information such as speed and GPS position are stored synchronously with the video. The Drive Recorder consists of the Event recorder and the Crash recorder. The Event recorder enables the recording of special driving situations or special events. With the Crash recorder, if the sensors in the vehicle detect an accident, the recorder automatically triggers the recording to document the accident. In addition, you can also start a recording manually by pressing a button and thus record a specific traffic situation in the image. Up to ten videos of 40s length can be recorded (the time settings before and after triggering can be adjusted to a maximum of 20s). Heavy accidents with hard disc damages are owing to circumstances where videos may not be recorded or saved. Only available with Parking Assistant Plus."
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #13
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

According to pdf of post#2, Drive Recorder(DR) does not even have an option code, right? DR appears it is delivered as an app to iDrive, similar to Traffic Camera Information(TCI).

To me these are weak attempt from BMWAG to prove that they can deliver OTA updates like Tesla(which does not charge extra for many of this type of updates).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #14
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFats View Post
Regrettably the Drive Recorder is not a 'free' option in the UK but either comes as part of the Tech Plus pack or, if you option it separately, you have to spend £650 ($910) on Parking Assistant Plus.

"The Drive Recorder allows you to record a video from the vehicle environment and play it back on the central Control Display or via USB export also on your device. Important vehicle information such as speed and GPS position are stored synchronously with the video. The Drive Recorder consists of the Event recorder and the Crash recorder. The Event recorder enables the recording of special driving situations or special events. With the Crash recorder, if the sensors in the vehicle detect an accident, the recorder automatically triggers the recording to document the accident. In addition, you can also start a recording manually by pressing a button and thus record a specific traffic situation in the image. Up to ten videos of 40s length can be recorded (the time settings before and after triggering can be adjusted to a maximum of 20s). Heavy accidents with hard disc damages are owing to circumstances where videos may not be recorded or saved. Only available with Parking Assistant Plus."
Ah, I had the Parking Assistant Plus option ticked so Drive Recorder showed as a zero cost option - I know some people didn't want it and left it unchecked.

Not sure I'd pay £100 for it. If you're on a budget I would put that towards a 3rd party Dashcam even without parking mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #15
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
According to pdf of post#2, Drive Recorder(DR) does not even have an option code, right? DR appears it is delivered as an app to iDrive, similar to Traffic Camera Information(TCI).

To me these are weak attempt from BMWAG to prove that they can deliver OTA updates like Tesla(which does not charge extra for many of this type of updates).
Just checked the PDF brochure from when I purchased and it was down as 6DR, but does appear to be just an app. It's listed in the Connected Drive store so I assume you can purchase it after delivery?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #16
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just checked the PDF brochure from when I purchased and it was down as 6DR, but does appear to be just an app. It's listed in the Connected Drive store so I assume you can purchase it after delivery?
The 2021 order guide only lists 6DR under 5 series and up, so does 6DR show up on your G20 VIR?

Connected Drive store does have DR however it requires 6U3 and 5DN.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #17
BlaSTiWi
Not new just quite
Rep
Drives: E60, F30, G22 & G80

Garage List
Not only under 5 series & up as I got 6DR for my G22.

Quote:
The 2021 order guide only lists 6DR under 5 series and up, so does 6DR show up on your G20 VIR?

2024 BMW M3Cx G80 | Alpine White + Fiona Red |

2021 BMW M440i G22
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #18
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi View Post
Not only under 5 series & up as I got 6DR for my G22.
I see, the "combined" order guide does not include 4 series:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1727809

But the subsequent 4-series specific order guide does show 6DR:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1746977
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #19
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

It was listed on the order sheet:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #20
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It was listed on the order sheet:
Got it, so UK spec G20 order sheet/VIR showed 6DR.

The US spec VIR probably will show the same, it is just that the BMWNA order guide(dated 5/18/2020) does not show 6DR for G20 330i/M340i.
Appreciate 0