Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Picked up my new 330e - Fuel consumption and electric range tested

12-19-2019, 02:28 AM   #199
ctstavri
Rep
Drives: BMW330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazman View Post
48.7 km on battery
46.9km/h average speed
0.1l/10km consumption in total during that drive

Totalt distance driven 55km

Outside temp during the drive was around 3 celcius
What mode did you drive in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Not likely to succeed. Range depends upon a number of factors. Probably the most significant one is driving style. I think the standard is played against all the slow phevs in the market and I suspect that most BMW drivers don't approximate hypermiling. The second most important factor is weather. We are in December when the weather is cold and cold saps battery life.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazman View Post
48.7 km on battery
46.9km/h average speed
0.1l/10km consumption in total during that drive

Totalt distance driven 55km

Outside temp during the drive was around 3 celcius
What mode did you drive in?
Electric eco pro and never got more than 36-38 km. Also in my opinion recharging during driving should not be calculated as part of the cars claimed range.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #200
ricdanger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Charging my car to 100%, I only ever saw 34km range.
If I use it in city traffic, I can't even reach that. I get 25-28km.
Did a test run in Eco Pro with light foot, and after 55km I drained the battery and still the car used 4.0l/100 gas.

Another thing is the "Connected Drive" site and App. It shows some strange values for charge and electric range. As an example, I'm currently charging at 10A for 2 hours, from empty battery, and the app says that I charged 70% 24 km. But if I go to the car I see 40% 14 km.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #201
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctstavri View Post
Electric eco pro and never got more than 36-38 km. Also in my opinion recharging during driving should not be calculated as part of the cars claimed range.
Do you mean in the official test regime? If so, how are you going to compare PHEV's an EV's? If in the official tests the range is extended by regeneration, that has to be added to the initial charge figure, again for comparisons of EV efficiency.

No real difference from tests for ICE, we attain comparisons in the official tests. How an individual driver uses the vehicle, and benefits from regeneration is another matter.

It is well documented that regeneration can add up to about 30% to the range, for some drivers, in the real world. Some Tesla drivers are reporting regeneration can add over 30% to the range in their typical driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #202
ctstavri
Rep
Drives: BMW330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Do you mean in the official test regime? If so, how are you going to compare PHEV's an EV's? If in the official tests the range is extended by regeneration, that has to be added to the initial charge figure, again for comparisons of EV efficiency.

No real difference from tests for ICE, we attain comparisons in the official tests. How an individual driver uses the vehicle, and benefits from regeneration is another matter.

It is well documented that regeneration can add up to about 30% to the range, for some drivers, in the real world. Some Tesla drivers are reporting regeneration can add over 30% to the range in their typical driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

So you mean that we get 60km range by adding the regeneration of 20-30%? So actual range is 45-50 and we end up on perfect driving at 60km. The problem is that I ve never reached this number no matter what I ve tried.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #203
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
So you mean that we get 60km range by adding the regeneration of 20-30%? So actual range is 45-50 and we end up on perfect driving at 60km. The problem is that I ve never reached this number no matter what I ve tried.
Which ever way we look at it, the figures quoted by BMW for EV range are the results achieved, complying with the WTLP test regime. Personal results will vary according to use, conditions and driving style.

The fact some users gain miles, from the starting range, clearly shows how energy regeneration/recuperation has an impact on range in real world driving.

I assume you use the modes and driving techniques which give the greatest harvesting of kinetic energy?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #204
ricdanger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Yesterday I had my car fully charged at 3 AM. But in the morning it was already only 90%.
Today I drove 3.5km, and the battery is only 75%. Range is 21km.
Also, I left my car at 9 pm with 26km, and got back to the car at 11 pm and it was showing 21km...
Uhmm... I wonder if my car is broken somehow.

Last edited by ricdanger; 12-25-2019 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:59 AM   #205
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

That sounds terrible. You seem to be losing charge while not even using the car. Other people seem to have a very different experience. Perhaps your car is faulty.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #206
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdanger View Post
Yesterday I had my car fully charged at 3 AM. But in the morning it was already only 90%.
Today I drove 3.5km, and the battery is only 75%. Range is 21km.
Also, I left my car at 9 pm with 26km, and got back to the car at 11 pm and it was showing 21km...
Uhmm... I wonder if my car is broken somehow.
In very hot weather my car does lose some charge if it is sitting outdoors for hours. But not the amount of loss you are getting.

Check your mileage (kilometerage?) with the odometer and see if you are getting what they say. Make sure that your problem is not with the gauges but with the actual battery usage.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #207
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Yeah those values don't mean anything I'm afraid, they do adjust as you drive.
When I do local runs at the weekend it drops to like 29km or something then I go to work on Monday and still end up with 46km range even though it started with 29km, it all depends on the actual drive.
When I leave my car at work in the morning it has one range and when I get in the evening a bit less, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to that.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #208
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
First long trip to the mountain, from Oslo (Norway) to Sjusjøen (you can look it up on Google). Especially on the way back I drove about 120K at 110Km/H.

The car was fully charged when I started the journey, it was empty when I arrived at the destination, and had 2K of battery when I arrived back home. I drove in Adaptive mode the whole time, with the destination in the nav (so it could read the road).

Outside temp was between -4 and -8 Celcius. Air condition 3 zones @ 23°C, seat heating in front, steering wheel heating on, lots of heating on the way back to warm up the car, etc. In summary, it was cold outside, and I did whatever I could to warm up and then keep the car warm.

17.4Km/L = 5.75 l/100K = 40.93 m/g
Attached Images

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #209
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
First long trip to the mountain, from Oslo (Norway) to Sjusjřen (you can look it up on Google). Especially on the way back I drove about 120K at 110Km/H.

The car was fully charged when I started the journey, it was empty when I arrived at the destination, and had 2K of battery when I arrived back home. I drove in Adaptive mode the whole time, with the destination in the nav (so it could read the road).

Outside temp was between -4 and -8 Celcius. Air condition 3 zones @ 23°C, seat heating in front, steering wheel heating on, lots of heating on the way back to warm up the car, etc. In summary, it was cold outside, and I did whatever I could to warm up and then keep the car warm.

That’s actually 49 mpg.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #210
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
First long trip to the mountain, from Oslo (Norway) to Sjusjøen (you can look it up on Google). Especially on the way back I drove about 120K at 110Km/H.

That's actually 49.2 mpg.
Sorry, I used Google and didn't notice there's something called US mpg and Imperial mpg. I used the US one, but in Imperial measurement is 49, as you say

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:32 AM   #211
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I used Google and didn't notice there's something called US mpg and Imperial mpg. I used the US one, but in Imperial measurement is 49, as you say
That’s very impressive. So how long was the total journey and how many charges did you have during the trip? How many kms on electric power?
What was the car like aside from the fuel economy?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 03:45 AM   #212
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That’s very impressive. So how long was the total journey and how many charges did you have during the trip? How many kms on electric power?
What was the car like aside from the fuel economy?
All the info is in the picture. I drove 5:55 hours. 401.7Kms/250 miles. 87.4Kms/54 miles in pure electric.

I charged once, before I started the journey. Since the car recovers energy, when I arrived to the destination I had zero Kms of electric range left, and when I arrived back home I had 2Kms of electric range left.

The car did a good job at managing when to use electricity and when fuel, in my opinion.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:17 AM   #213
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Did you enjoy the drive in terms of comfort and refinement etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #214
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you enjoy the drive in terms of comfort and refinement etc?
Yes, absolutely. I drove under quite demanding conditions —rain, snow, slippery surfaces, snow on the road, fog, etc. Even though the car doesn't have AWD, it handled very well.

Some options that helped a lot under such conditions: head-up display (you can simply focus on the road, and not on the screens), the fog lights, the adaptive laser headlights (they help illuminate the road from side-to-side, important when you gotta watch out for moose on the road), the Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go, the awesome windshield wipers, the blind-spot assist. Finally, winter tires, of course.

My only complain here in Norway is the nav. The navigation system is awesome, and the head-up display amazing, but the map itself seems always outdated and incomplete, and it's very, very misleading sometimes —if you're not careful, it can really get you in trouble. I had to have my wife checking Google Maps constantly, just to make sure we were on the right roads, and it helped us more than twice. I can't wait for Android Auto to be available, exclusively for the maps. I guess in other countries the maps are better though, but here they suck.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #215
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. I drove under quite demanding conditions —rain, snow, slippery surfaces, snow on the road, fog, etc. Even though the car doesn't have AWD, it handled very well.

Some options that helped a lot under such conditions: head-up display (you can simply focus on the road, and not on the screens), the fog lights, the adaptive laser headlights (they help illuminate the road from side-to-side, important when you gotta watch out for moose on the road), the Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go, the awesome windshield wipers, the blind-spot assist. Finally, winter tires, of course.

My only complain here in Norway is the nav. The navigation system is awesome, and the head-up display amazing, but the map itself seems always outdated and incomplete, and it's very, very misleading sometimes —if you're not careful, it can really get you in trouble. I had to have my wife checking Google Maps constantly, just to make sure we were on the right roads, and it helped us more than twice. I can't wait for Android Auto to be available, exclusively for the maps. I guess in other countries the maps are better though, but here they suck.
Interesting to hear about the laser headlights. They were a €2k option that I also have ordered as deer are a problem around here. Are they as good as BMW claim?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #216
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Interesting to hear about the laser headlights. They were a €2k option that I also have ordered as deer are a problem around here. Are they as good as BMW claim?
I have them in a G30. Vet good throwing much more light onto the road but not into other drivers faces
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #217
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
I have them in a G30. Vet good throwing much more light onto the road but not into other drivers faces
This.

The adaptive headlights, be them laser or not, are a must, they really help in areas where animals crossing the road can be a problem, and they work very, very well. It's also very fun to see them dance from side-to-side, and to see how they illuminate the road signs 2-300 meters in front of you, but the car in front doesn't notice a thing. The laser lights just add to the fun by increasing the amount of light and illuminating better from side-to-side of the road.

I had the G30 with LED's only, and it did a great job at illuminating your side of the road, but the laser ones illuminate a broader and deeper surface. Well worth the money, you'll realise its value as soon as you're in a dark road where animals can come out of nowhere.

I don't know if you've watched this one, but it gives a good idea of what I describe:

Last edited by eddiehaug; 12-28-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 02:21 AM   #218
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
This.

The adaptive headlights, be them laser or not, are a must, they really help in areas where animals crossing the road can be a problem, and they work very, very well. It's also very fun to see them dance from side-to-side, and to see how they illuminate the road signs 2-300 meters in front of you, but the car in front doesn't notice a thing. The laser lights just add to the fun by increasing the amount of light and illuminating better from side-to-side of the road.

I had the G30 with LED's only, and it did a great job at illuminating your side of the road, but the laser ones illuminate a broader and deeper surface. Well worth the money, you'll realise its value as soon as you're in a dark road where animals can come out of nowhere.

I don't know if you've watched this one, but it gives a good idea of what I describe:

Looks great - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:40 AM   #219
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:

It's not just Norway, the maps are less than great here in Finland too. Just did 200 miles trip in complete darkness in freezing/slippery winter conditions and can confirm everything you say: superb handling in slippery roads, HUD, laserlights and Active Cruise with Stop & Go are superb. Same goes for battery management; at the end of of trip I had couple of miles of battery for city driving despite starting last 100 miles with zero battery. The feedback of battery usage/recharge in Instrument cluster is very nice

But the navigation, no good. Here's my list of complaints
- hard to see "marked" route in the map in certain zoom levels city driving situations when map is in night mode
- autozoom is terrible, it decides to go to zoom levels that show half of the country when I needed street by street
- the UI often really does not make it very clear when to take a turn when navigating without audio guidance. My kids were listening to an audiobook and I do not like the the constant yapping of navigation lady anyway. Google Maps navigation is far superior in this, bring me the Android Auto yesterday.
- and finally the icing on the cake: I seemed to have partial crash in the iDrive system as I lost navigation info from HUD and center of instrument cluster. All the settings related to those were missing from menus too, just black in the center of instrument cluster (see pic, 1st everything is fine and all of the sudden info gone all the while I have Navigation active) and nothing on HUD; had to reboot iDrive to get them back.

My 330e is still on 07/2019.30 and despite having remote upgrades enabled there is no sign of update; I think some people in Sweden/Norway already have gotten OTAs. Need to talk to a shop about upgrade to 11/2019.XX.

As a side note the Display widgets could be improved a lot too; why an earth half-screen widget about "Driving Information" showing a large pic of my car (I know how it looks, I see it every day) instead of easily fitting every bit of information that same thing in full screen mode shows
Attached Images

Last edited by tn1krr; 12-29-2019 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #220
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Just remember laser lights are only for high beam and you must be on an unlit road. That is why I did not spec them since I don't do any driving on unlit roads, so they would never turn on.
Appreciate 0