Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M3 Touring vs X5/6 m60i

10-12-2023, 03:18 PM   #1
mrmjb1989
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

M3 Touring vs X5/6 m60i

New to the whole BMW M & M lite. So my financial situation has now allowed me to move up a bit in the world. After some careful research I’m pretty torn between a full fat M in the form of an M3 touring. Or either the X5 or X6 m60i LCI. I’m really looking for anyone who’s had experience of both M performance and full M models to see their opinions.

There are obviously pros and cons to both, I get that. Being my first opportunity in this financial position to essentially go out and get whichever I please I’m wondering if I will be left wanting if I went for the x5 or x6 over a proper M car. I know anyone who reads this might think ‘so get the x5/6M’ however I don’t honestly believe the £40-50k premium would be worth the money.

I essentially will be using whichever car I pick as my daily. Having two young children means that space isn’t a huge factor right now. I know both offer sufficient space and obviously the X having more than ample room to accommodate the family. From a driving perspective I’d say there’s likely around a 70/30 split between how much I daily and how much I’d use the car to take for a spirited drive. Which I get can be a factor.

I just want to gauge people’s thoughts on whether the M performance models can stack up to the proper M cars in terms of being fun to live with when they’re needed to be.

I’m not into heavy modifications or into car meets or track days or anything of that nature. It’s simply a case of being about 90% set on the M3 up until about a week back, when I saw the new X5 in the dealership and had a good look round it, sat in it and felt the premium of its cabin and space. That’s not to say the M3 feels cheap in anyway. I’ve just always had a bit of soft sport for performance SUVs and their presence on the road.

So anyone whose made the transition from M lite to M or visa versa I’d appreciate some feedback
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 05:04 PM   #2
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Not sure I'd take the advice of strangers when it comes to dropping £100k on a car. As it is, you say yourself you're 90% set on the M3 Touring. So do it.

Now if you want peoples opinion......

Me, I don't really see the point of M cars. You spend £30k+ on a car (over the M340) and you can rarely use the extra power legally on the road. You state that for the X5/6M and it not being worth the extra, but suspect for wholly different reasons. Oh I know that you can say that about, for example, the 330i vs 340i too, and that is valid as well. We all know that these M cars are technologically pretty special, and I'm sure they portray an image that some want too, but as a daily I think others are possibly better, not least on running costs. But we all see things differently.

I was speaking with a friend who has an M3 Touring, and he and I both agreed that they (his car and mine) aren't that exciting to drive, not that I've driven in his. Very very competent & comfortable, which is why they aren't so exciting (not trying to damn the cars, as they are very good). One thing I did find very off putting, are those fancy seats in the M3 - as a daily they would send me mad! I'm sure if you turn traction control off and drift around corners it would be different, but how often do you do that on the King's highway? He has an old M2 for the fun bit.

So in conclusion, as we are all different, I'll stick with my M340i and you should get yourself the M3 Touring, not least as I think you've already made your mind up. Good luck with it.

Last edited by Charlie (Wessex); 10-12-2023 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 05:23 PM   #3
mrmjb1989
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
Not sure I'd take the advice of strangers when it comes to dropping £100k on a car. As it is, you say yourself you're 90% set on the M3 Touring. So do it.

Now if you want peoples opinion......

Me, I don't really see the point of M cars. You spend £30k+ on a car (over the M340) and you can rarely use the extra power legally on the road. You state that for the X5/6M and it not being worth the extra, but suspect for wholly different reasons. Oh I know that you can say that about, for example, the 330i vs 340i too, and that is valid as well. We all know that these M cars are technologically pretty special, and I'm sure they portray an image that some want too, but as a daily I think others are possibly better, not least on running costs. But we all see things differently.

I was speaking with a friend who has an M3 Touring, and he and I both agreed that they (his car and mine) aren't that exciting to drive, not that I've driven in his. Very very competent & comfortable, which is why they aren't so exciting (not trying to damn the cars, as they are very good). One thing I did find very off putting, are those fancy seats in the M3 - as a daily they would send me mad! I'm sure if you turn traction control off and drift around corners it would be different, but how often do you do that on the King's highway? He has an old M2 for the fun bit.

So in conclusion, as we are all different, I'll stick with my M340i and you should get yourself the M3 Touring, not least as I think you've already made your mind up. Good luck with it.
My issue was that I’ve come from a 320d and one of the first things i drove following considering getting rid of mine, was the M3 and the difference was night and day. I’ve never transitioned to a 330 or M340 first. I literally thought I’m soon going to be in a position to spend M3 money, so just go for the M3.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the M340i tbh. Where I began thinking of the X5 or 6 was because the 3 series platform just feels a bit ‘samey’ newer toys, slightly more premium feel, but essentially the same platform. My neighbour has an X5M and my folks have an X3 M40d so there’s always been that appeal towards moving to an X over a 3 series.

But whatever I go for it has to daily first. It isn’t a weekend weapon or second car for me. It’s got to be the school run machine and a bit of fun all in one. So if an M isn’t really that great for a daily the trade off has to be some sort of premium with the ride and quality of the cabin etc. Which I think the X5 and 6 offer over the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 05:51 PM   #4
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Go for it.... Get the M3 Touring. You know you want to. Just make sure you can live with those sporty seats...... I think if you make a "mistake" and need to change, then the residuals should hopefully be quite strong.
      10-12-2023, 05:57 PM   #5
mrmjb1989
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
Go for it.... Get the M3 Touring. You know you want to. Just make sure you can live with those sporty seats...... I think if you make a "mistake" and need to change, then the residuals should hopefully be quite strong.
Carbon buckets are a no go for me personally. Look the part but the standard seats in white, red or even orange would be my choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 01:17 AM   #6
G21MKN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 320d X drive

What about an Alpina B3 if you still want a bit of comfort, but still get almost the same power and more low down torque than an M3. More understated and rarer too

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02304246606856
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2023, 01:18 AM   #7
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmjb1989 View Post
But whatever I go for it has to daily first. It isn’t a weekend weapon or second car for me. It’s got to be the school run machine and a bit of fun all in one. So if an M isn’t really that great for a daily the trade off has to be some sort of premium with the ride and quality of the cabin etc. Which I think the X5 and 6 offer over the 3 series.
Is a 5 Series an option or does the current lack of a Touring model make that a non-starter?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 02:10 AM   #8
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnlyssg View Post
Is a 5 Series an option or does the current lack of a Touring model make that a non-starter?
You can spec a 5 Touring Inc a 540i
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 02:14 AM   #9
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Oops yes, I meant the updated G61 model. Personally I wouldn't want to buy the current model knowing a new one was on the way next year
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #10
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

The M3 is a track tuned performance car. The M340i is a road tuned performance car. They have a very different setup. I'd pick based on where you do most of your driving. The only reasons to have an M3 over the M340i for the road are bragging rights and to feel a bit more special. The M340i is going to be easier to live with though.

Sounds like you are more of an X man anyway. They are OK, if you need a fast van.

If it were my money, id get an M340i and with the £30k spare change, I'd buy a second hand full fat M from the previous generations as a weekend car. Either an E92 M3 or an F82 M4 Competition.
Appreciate 4
      10-14-2023, 04:06 PM   #11
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Gross Byte View Post
The M3 is a track tuned performance car. The M340i is a road tuned performance car. They have a very different setup. I'd pick based on where you do most of your driving. The only reasons to have an M3 over the M340i for the road are bragging rights and to feel a bit more special. The M340i is going to be easier to live with though.

Sounds like you are more of an X man anyway. They are OK, if you need a fast van.

If it were my money, id get an M340i and with the £30k spare change, I'd buy a second hand full fat M from the previous generations as a weekend car. Either an E92 M3 or an F82 M4 Competition.
If it's a cash deal ie you would have 30k odd to spend elsewhere then this or the alpina.
Not having driven either I'm guessing the Alpina is a bit more family friendly as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 04:49 PM   #12
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Are you aware an M3 LCI is on its way?

A lot of money to spend if it’s going to be the older shape in a few months.
Appreciate 1