Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA 03/2021 Software Update

04-21-2021, 11:11 PM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
03/2021 Software Update

I’ve just had my car updated to software version 03/2021 at the dealership.
With limited driving, I can’t see any major improvements apart from the tachometer now works in Sports Mode (automatic setting on the iDrive).
I know this can be fixed in previous versions by changing 6 lines of code, but this is a problem that is well known by BMW and I can confirm that the issue has been addressed in version 03/2021.
I was a bit peeved that it took two visits to the dealership to get the problem sorted.
In the first place, it took more than a month to get a service booking for my first year inspection and oil change and, at the time, I had asked (insisted, actually!) for the software to be updated to 03/2021. I was told only after the service (at 5:00 pm) that I would need special permission to do this from BMW (WTF?). The “permission” came through a few days later, but still involved me having to take the car back to the dealership. To me, this seems a waste of my time, not to mention the inconvenience.
One of the problems with these hi-tech cars is that the salespeople, service people and mechanics do not drive these cars on a regular basis and do not fully understand all the features of the vehicles. We, Joe Public, who have bought, own and drive the cars know more about the software systems and how they should work than the people at the dealership service centers.
As an adjunct, I was told that changing code on your car could affect warranty. My response was “Bullsh#t”. Activating or deactivating simple codes built in by BMW will not affect warranty. Turning off ASS or the iDrive start up warning will not affect your warranty. If BMW do not want you to touch certain codes they make them untouchable within the codes.

OK, rant over.
If you’re booking your car in for a service and need a software update, make sure it is arranged with “special permission” prior to taking your car into the dealership.
      04-21-2021, 11:40 PM   #2
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Oh, one more thing.
When doing a software update at the dealership, I was told that car battery would be on charge during the update process.
Don’t believe everything you’re told!
My battery was charged to just over 80% when I dropped the car off, and was charged to only 50% by the time I arrived home. This proves that this particular dealership relied on a near fully charged battery to do the software update......
I have been able to quote these numbers as I have a CTEK battery monitor installed on my car.
      04-22-2021, 06:08 AM   #3
ClearSkies
Rep
Drives: 330i

Good to hear the next update fixes the sport HUD
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #4
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
In the first place, it took more than a month to get a service booking for my first year inspection and oil change and, at the time, I had asked (insisted, actually!) for the software to be updated to 03/2021. I was told only after the service (at 5:00 pm) that I would need special permission to do this from BMW (WTF?). The “permission” came through a few days later, but still involved me having to take the car back to the dealership. To me, this seems a waste of my time, not to mention the inconvenience.

One of the problems with these hi-tech cars is that the salespeople, service people and mechanics do not drive these cars on a regular basis and do not fully understand all the features of the vehicles. We, Joe Public, who have bought, own and drive the cars know more about the software systems and how they should work than the people at the dealership service centers.
1 month for a service booking is a bit rough but SA only has on dealer, right?

The sales guy I bought off was pretty good. He drove one as a demo and was well aware of the features and knew I was across the product.

Nothing worse than a sales person who does not know their product.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
1 month for a service booking is a bit rough but SA only has on dealer, right?

The sales guy I bought off was pretty good. He drove one as a demo and was well aware of the features and knew I was across the product.

Nothing worse than a sales person who does not know their product.
Yes, only one BMW dealer in Adelaide.......nothing worse than a monopoly.
Although salespeople know a fair amount of the features of the car, they can’t get to know everything. Even the BMW Genius admitted that he did not know ALL the features of the car. He explained that because he drives, but does not own a BMW, it’s very difficult to know all the nuances of a particular model.
      04-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
In the first place, it took more than a month to get a service booking for my first year inspection and oil change and, at the time, I had asked (insisted, actually!) for the software to be updated to 03/2021. I was told only after the service (at 5:00 pm) that I would need special permission to do this from BMW (WTF?). The “permission” came through a few days later
Thanks for the heads up Steve.
The oil change is an extra request, where you'd pay for it outside of any service plan, is that correct?
My 1 year is coming up soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:15 PM   #7
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Thanks for the heads up Steve.
The oil change is an extra request, where you'd pay for it outside of any service plan, is that correct?
My 1 year is coming up soon.
Yes, that’s correct. This oil change is outside of the service plan (my choice). Next year it will be at BMW’s cost.
I asked for just a simple oil change and oil filter......cost: $249.00.
      04-23-2021, 12:43 AM   #8
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I asked for just a simple oil change and oil filter......cost: $249.00.
WTH! Maybe I'll get a quote from an outside service place.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:54 AM   #9
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearSkies View Post
If you don’t want to wait for version 03/2021 to go public, you can code the tacho in sport mode by changing 6 lines of code with either BimmerCode Expert or E-sysx.
      04-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #10
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearSkies View Post
If you don't want to wait for version 03/2021 to go public, you can code the tacho in sport mode by changing 6 lines of code with either BimmerCode Expert or E-sysx.
My service manager is well aware of the risks of doing an OTA update and the cost in recovering the vehicle to fix it should it go wrong as i reside 400kms from them and is very proactive in doing updates especially if there is a function that i may not be aware of that has been improved e.g. driver assistance functions like lane change assistant behavior.
      04-27-2021, 11:39 PM   #11
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Noticed something new today with the new software version.
A message flashed up on the HUD saying something like “side impact evasion activated....”
It flashed up on the screen for only a moment and I didn’t have enough time to read the entire two line message. I didn’t notice the car behaving any differently and can only assume that the danger passed very quickly.
I was in heavy multi-lane traffic at the time, with vehicles waiting to enter from a side road.
If it shows itself again, I’ll endeavor to read the entire message.
      04-27-2021, 11:45 PM   #12
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Ah....one more thing.....I noticed that forward collision avoidance system seemed to be a bit more sensitive than before. In this case, a car was turning from a side road in front of me at the same time a pedestrian stepped off the pavement. So, I’m not quite sure what the alert was triggered by....could have been a combination of both. From a driving perspective, the danger was not serious as I had seen both events and had assessed them to not be a danger.
When this alerts you, a red vehicle icon appears in the HUD and flashes. It is accompanied by audible beeping sounds.
      04-28-2021, 12:37 AM   #13
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Ah....one more thing.....I noticed that forward collision avoidance system seemed to be a bit more sensitive than before. In this case, a car was turning from a side road in front of me at the same time a pedestrian stepped off the pavement. So, I'm not quite sure what the alert was triggered by....could have been a combination of both. From a driving perspective, the danger was not serious as I had seen both events and had assessed them to not be a danger.
When this alerts you, a red vehicle icon appears in the HUD and flashes. It is accompanied by audible beeping sounds.
I've noticed it to be more active, although sometimes inappropriately so
The other day there was NOTHING in front of me on the road it suddenly braked... but no red flashing. No shadows or puddles (unlike some of the posts on this issue)
I dunno
Needs some calibrating
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 07:39 PM   #14
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah....one more thing.....I noticed that forward collision avoidance system seemed to be a bit more sensitive than before. In this case, a car was turning from a side road in front of me at the same time a pedestrian stepped off the pavement. So, I’m not quite sure what the alert was triggered by....could have been a combination of both. From a driving perspective, the danger was not serious as I had seen both events and had assessed them to not be a danger.
Yup, since I updated (month or so) I've had 3 such warnings. vs possibly only once in the 10 months before the update. One of those 3 I couldn't determine what the trigger was, the other 2 I could, though I'd still say it was being hyper-alert.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 01:38 AM   #15
Tezza77
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
when using active cruise, the car will start to slow sometimes when a car is in the next lane, no car in front.

my previous gen 3 series BMW had active cruise and didnt do this, very annoying when you have traffic behind and it starts to brake for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 06:31 AM   #16
:Jon:
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e

Quote:
Noticed something new today with the new software version.
A message flashed up on the HUD saying something like “side impact evasion activated....”
Ive seen that message, and I’m on the November 2020 version.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #17
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just as an FYI, mine was upgraded to 3.2021 at the service a couple of weeks ago. I mentioned in the booking notes that I wanted this done. When I go there it seems the notes hadn't been carried over. So I asked for it on the day, and it seems it was needed to fix passenger seat heating problem, so they did it. Nothing about permission.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #18
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
FWIW, I have noticed that if a pedestrian activates the warning system it displays as 2 red arcs on either side of the dash, and not the red vehicle at the top.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #19
raj10800
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

My idrive has no menu which shows update software
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 05:02 AM   #20
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj10800 View Post
Does it show up in your myBMW app as available?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 02:31 AM   #21
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
if you have I-Drive 7 it should be at Car, Settings, General Settings, scroll down to Remote Software Upgrade.
In some countries,G20s are available with previous I-Drive version and non digital dash. In that case, only your dealer can do the software upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 08:26 AM   #22
raj10800
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
if you have I-Drive 7 it should be at Car, Settings, General Settings, scroll down to Remote Software Upgrade.
In some countries,G20s are available with previous I-Drive version and non digital dash. In that case, only your dealer can do the software upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I have the latest idrive version 7 but do not see this option on the idrive menu - also OTA updates is not enabled in my car - is there anyway I can enable this thru coding
Appreciate 0