Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Best GAP insurance?

05-12-2021, 12:27 AM   #1
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Best GAP insurance?

What’s the views on GAP insurance? I’ve used Total Loss Gap in the past and have them on my wife’s car but last time I spoke to them they will only cover a G22 if I have a Tracker fitted which I’m not prepared to do. Which other insurers do any of you guys recommend?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

I bought mine from ALA and there were no such restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 12:50 AM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGrey View Post
I bought mine from ALA and there were no such restrictions.
Thanks for that! I’ll give them a call!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 12:54 AM   #4
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I use total loss gap on a G21 330e xDrive and there were no tracker restrictions.

Maybe it depends on the book or invoice price? Mine was a £60k car haggled down to £50k.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:30 AM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I use total loss gap on a G21 330e xDrive and there were no tracker restrictions.

Maybe it depends on the book or invoice price? Mine was a £60k car haggled down to £50k.
Possibly right what you say. Mine’s in the same price bracket, I understand the thing that’s spooked them is M440i although I was at pains to try to explain to them it wasn’t a full fat M4 but they still weren’t having any of it!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:54 AM   #6
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

I went with GAPinsurance.co.uk in the end. No restrictions on mine and cover was £211 on Back to Invoice for just shy of £33k for 4 years.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:05 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
I went with GAPinsurance.co.uk in the end. No restrictions on mine and cover was £211 on Back to Invoice for just shy of £33k for 4 years.
Thanks Keith c I’ll add that one to my list. Looks like I’m going to have a busy day with phone calls!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 03:30 AM   #8
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
ALA and use code MSE25 to get 25% off.

Used them on several cars now. Never had to claim but i know people who have and said it was straightforward.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 05:00 AM   #9
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Thanks Keith c I’ll add that one to my list. Looks like I’m going to have a busy day with phone calls!
Unfortunately that's all you can do, I think I was recommended ALA at the time but these came out considerably cheaper even with the discount and hopefully I'll never have to worry about using it.

All this aftercare soon adds up, especially when you add paint and wheel insurance then I also added a Ghost immobiliser. Was going to get mine detailed and ceramic coated as it was an ex press car but there wasn't a mark or swirls on it which was a massive surprise and they put the GuardX on for free, so I just keep on top of it and saved myself circa £600 or so.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 05:40 AM   #10
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post

Used them on several cars now. Never had to claim but i know people who have and said it was straightforward.
I noticed that on the money saving expert website myself. Thanks for the heads up, been busy this morning so I’ll start ringing round this afternoon or first thing tomorrow. Like the look of ALA mind you.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 05:53 AM   #11
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Unfortunately that's all you can do, I think I was recommended ALA at the time but these came out considerably cheaper even with the discount and hopefully I'll never have to worry about using it.

All this aftercare soon adds up, especially when you add paint and wheel insurance then I also added a Ghost immobiliser. Was going to get mine detailed and ceramic coated as it was an ex press car but there wasn't a mark or swirls on it which was a massive surprise and they put the GuardX on for free, so I just keep on top of it and saved myself circa £600 or so.
Thanks Keith. I’ll give them a try as well.
Know what you mean about costs mounting up when you take cover out for all the potential problems you could have. Not bothering with wheel or paint insurance, never have done to be honest almost feels like you’d be tempting fate to expect it! Just thought sod it, if I take a hit on unexpected costs it may well be not much more than the cover would have cost and if I survive without it then I’ve saved on the initial outlay!
Never had a car detailed or ceramic coated, have always done it myself and now with Autoglym UHD wax it comes up just great, plus ceramic coating still won’t stop stone chips or even scratching and swirls so in my case I tend to think what’s the point?
I’ll just buy more super unleaded with the saving and drive the nuts off it instead!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:44 AM   #12
Chrisspencer
Rep
Drives: G21 330i

I used gapinsurance.co.uk. 4 year policy with return to invoice for £215, can’t fault it for the price IMO
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #13
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Thanks Keith. I’ll give them a try as well.
Know what you mean about costs mounting up when you take cover out for all the potential problems you could have. Not bothering with wheel or paint insurance, never have done to be honest almost feels like you’d be tempting fate to expect it! Just thought sod it, if I take a hit on unexpected costs it may well be not much more than the cover would have cost and if I survive without it then I’ve saved on the initial outlay!
Never had a car detailed or ceramic coated, have always done it myself and now with Autoglym UHD wax it comes up just great, plus ceramic coating still won’t stop stone chips or even scratching and swirls so in my case I tend to think what’s the point?
I’ll just buy more super unleaded with the saving and drive the nuts off it instead!
I only took it out as I use the M6 everyday on my commute and my previous car was peppered to buggery with stone chips and the mrs likes to get close to the kerbs when she drives!!

Only ever detailed myself but that was back in the day when Porter Cable DA's were being imported and running off 110v transformers, now, I just don't seem to have the time or the inclination to be fair, takes me well over an hour to wash, dry and run a quick detailer over it, getting too old for spending a full weekend doing it and the mrs always finds me something more important to keep me busy, like they do!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #14
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I haven’t had any daily commutes for quite some time now so fortunately can generally get to where I need to be during off peak hours. Don’t suffer too much stone chipping these days either and can make time to get at them when they do occur being retired!
Don’t know how old you are but I’m in my 60s so it takes me 3 days now to thoroughly valet the car when it used to be done in a day years ago! Plus I’ve also got my wife’s 2 series to do as well.
Not sure what any of the last bit has to do with GAP insurance, but nice to chat though!
To get back “on post” so to speak I’m grateful to everyone who’s put comments on this thread and tomorrow I’ll be phoning around to see what I can get.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post

Cheers man. Great timing as I am picking up the new beast tomorrow and I only had a 10 percent offer for renewal.
Good saving. £228 for 3 years RTI.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1