Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Until we meet again...

03-18-2024, 12:25 PM   #111
arentz07
drives cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 IS 500, '23 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
Too many brand snobs in here. Lexus is a chick car? So is BMW a brand for women since they primarily make SUVs?

The IS500 isn't a bad car, it's just not really a comparable experience. OP said the biggest problem with the car is that they drove the M440i first. The real issue is knowing exactly what you want from the car. If you are cross shopping something like an M3/M4, then to me it doesn't make any sense to move to something like the IS500. I know Lexus markets it as a sports sedan, but to me it's definitely a GT executive car (like a 540i or M550i). The biggest appeal of the IS500 to someone who hasn't driven one yet is the V8 and I get that as a former owner of a Chevy SS, but there's more to the overall experience than V8 noises.

A real upgrade to the M340i/M440i would be an M3/M4 or a CT4-V Blackwing. Moving to something like an IS500 or even an M550i and you're basically changing segments and exchanging driving dynamics for comfort and noise isolation (and V8). That's not a bad thing if that's what you want, but it's just not comparable at that point imo.
Very well said. I'd add that, whether I had an M550i or IS 500, being an "executive car" isn't going to keep me away from the mountain roads. Fun roads are still fun roads.

Honestly now that I think about it, and M550i would be a lot of fun up there too. With the AWD you could really send it coming out of corners. This weekend I lost count of how many times I saw the TC/ESC light come on - probably wouldn't be much of an issue in the M550i. Though I do kinda like that my car is RWD only. Gives it more of a sense of danger, lol.

2023 BMW X3 | Phytonic Blue | Black Vernasca Leather | Dark Wood Trim
2023 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance | Infrared | Black NuLuxe
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 12:54 PM   #112
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
I have a friend who has been a longtime BMW owner who drove my IS 500. He said it felt more like a "smaller 5-series" as compared to a 3-series in terms of the chassis. I've also driven a 530i recently as a loaner car from the dealership, and I'd say he was pretty much spot on with that comparison. While the 5er is quieter, the overall dynamics of the car - the amount of body roll and the kind of turn-in response you get - are pretty darned similar. So if you have never driven an IS 500, that might be a good way to set expectations.

Also, with respect to power compared to the M550i. The IS 500 probably actually has a very similar power-to-weight. So while 0-60 would favor the M550i, in a theoretical Autobahn run, it would be a pretty close call.

But I've always said BMW people are not Lexus people. This whole thread pretty much sums up why. Lexus people appreciate a consistent, comfortable driving experience more than the modern conveniences and drivetrains offered by BMW. But that doesn't make Lexus cars "chick" cars. Shoot, I'd say your average 3-series driver in my area is a 30-something woman lol. And BMW drivers just outright being elitist is honestly starting to make me want one a little less.
Haha I said the same thing about 3 series and “chick cars”. In 2004 the sorority row at Ole Miss was 50% BMW 3 series.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 01:05 PM   #113
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
Very well said. I'd add that, whether I had an M550i or IS 500, being an "executive car" isn't going to keep me away from the mountain roads. Fun roads are still fun roads.

Honestly now that I think about it, and M550i would be a lot of fun up there too. With the AWD you could really send it coming out of corners. This weekend I lost count of how many times I saw the TC/ESC light come on - probably wouldn't be much of an issue in the M550i. Though I do kinda like that my car is RWD only. Gives it more of a sense of danger, lol.
Add the Dynamic Handling package to the M550 and it gets even better!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0