BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions G20 Grill Replacement Guide

06-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #111
Hoverauto
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmoldofsky View Post
I just replaced my grill, thanks so much for the guide pictures -- it helped IMMENSELY. One thing I struggled with at first was trying to remove the entire plastic pin AND it's circular shroud -- if you are confused on this, as I was, JUST remove the pin from the middle of each circular piece!

QUESTION: Some of you posted pics where the door frames were blacked out as well -- did you wrap with vinyl? plastidip? or replacement parts? (etc)...

Thanks!
It looks really good on a black car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #112
bmwdaffy
Rep
Drives: 325d n57 2011

I have change chrome to all black on my portimao
It is possible update it at instrument cluster my car pic with new grille?

Last edited by bmwdaffy; 06-22-2021 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #113
aquariuz23
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330e

Gap between grill and hood?

Hi Everyone,

I just replaced the grill on my G20 with a full black diamond version. After installing the new one, I noticed that now, for some odd reason, there's a pretty significant gap between the grill itself and the hood. But the grill sits flushed with plastic cover that covers the gap between the grill and the radiator, and the hex bolt lines up perfectly. Even the weather stripping lines up like it originally did.

The gap is a lot more noticeable from the sides, because now part of the plastic cover is slightly visible. It almost looks like the whole housing that the grill sits on is now slightly out. I'm not sure if this how it was originally with my original grill, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the gap to go away.

Any suggestions on what I can try and do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #114
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariuz23 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just replaced the grill on my G20 with a full black diamond version. After installing the new one, I noticed that now, for some odd reason, there's a pretty significant gap between the grill itself and the hood. But the grill sits flushed with plastic cover that covers the gap between the grill and the radiator, and the hex bolt lines up perfectly. Even the weather stripping lines up like it originally did.

The gap is a lot more noticeable from the sides, because now part of the plastic cover is slightly visible. It almost looks like the whole housing that the grill sits on is now slightly out. I'm not sure if this how it was originally with my original grill, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the gap to go away.

Yea that's an issue I noticed too (even though I got the original shadowline grill). I've been living with it since it hasn't caused any issues so far.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #115
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
This is great.

Did you have parking and driving assistance package ordered on your vehicle? From what I understand, these packages prevent one from installing these black grills.
good question let me know when you get an answer to this ... im waiting to pull the trigger on shadow line but wanna know how hard it is to install with park assist may be a non issue.
Hi guys , I was gifted a black grill for my car that came with the parking sensor camera hole . My car doesn't have that package therefore no camera. I'm wondering if anyone know if it'll still fit ? I was thinking about covering the hole with a gloss black plastic piece maybe? I'm out of state rn so can't try myself at the moment
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #116
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Hey bro that front lip looks really good . I wasn't too sure about buying one since I don't have the M sport package/bumper but that honestly looks good. Do you mind sharing where u purchased it from?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #117
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20_shub View Post
Hi guys , I was gifted a black grill for my car that came with the parking sensor camera hole . My car doesn't have that package therefore no camera. I'm wondering if anyone know if it'll still fit ? I was thinking about covering the hole with a gloss black plastic piece maybe? I'm out of state rn so can't try myself at the moment
You should be able to install it. Just wondering how you're going to go about covering the hole though.

Maybe sell it on here and use the proceeds to buy the correct grill?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #118
aquariuz23
Rep

Quote:
Hey bro that front lip looks really good . I wasn't too sure about buying one since I don't have the M sport package/bumper but that honestly looks good. Do you mind sharing where u purchased it from?
Edit: Funny enough, a few hours after I wrote my initial reply below, the part that I've been waiting for finally came in. I didn't even receive any updates via email or the usual UPS notification that the package was on the way. I'm glad this is finally over, now I just have to call my credit card company and cancel the chargeback. What a waste of my time.

Hey G20_shub, thank you very much! I purchased it from a site called Automodz.CA, they're located in Alberta, Canada. As much as I love the parts I got (the splitter also came from them), I honestly cannot recommend their company. Their business etiquette is pretty abysmal IMO. Long story short, after nearly two months of placing my order, I still did not receive all the parts I ordered (got 3 out of 4). Getting in touch with them was like pulling teeth, communication is extremely sparce, sometimes with no follow up for 2-3 days, and when they do follow up, it'll be just empty promises. Only one guy responds to emails, the Whatsapp number on their Facebook page is completely ignored, and so is messaging them over IG. I requested that they cancel and refund the last piece that still has shipped out yet (for whatever God damn reason now) back on Friday morning, and they've still yet to respond back to it. So I'll have to go to my credit card company to request a partial chargeback.

So yeah, great parts, shitty quality check/assurance (long story on this part), and abysmal customer service. I really wanted to support their small company but man the burn they gave me is beyond redeemable. If you still want to test your luck with them, please proceed with caution. You might have better luck than I do.

Last edited by aquariuz23; 09-13-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 08:10 AM   #119
aquariuz23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Yea that's an issue I noticed too (even though I got the original shadowline grill). I've been living with it since it hasn't caused any issues so far.
Hi Vipin, thanks for the reply. That's really interesting. I wonder if it had always been there and we just never noticed it. And yeah, I'm just sorta ignoring it now as well and if I don't think or look too hard at it, I won't notice it . Curious to see if this is some special thing BMW added to indicate that the front grill was ever removed.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      09-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #120
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Vipin, thanks for the reply. That's really interesting. I wonder if it had always been there and we just never noticed it. And yeah, I'm just sorta ignoring it now as well and if I don't think or look too hard at it, I won't notice it . Curious to see if this is some special thing BMW added to indicate that the front grill was ever removed.
Haha yes. I assume it was the same before I swapped the grill and I just never noticed it. I don't have any pics of my car with the chrome grill taken up close. So can't compare. From the usual far away pics, it doesn't look different compared to when it had the chrome grill. And yes. You'll forget about it after a bit.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #121
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep

Update : the grill came with the hole covered . Got lucky I guess 😭
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #122
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Edit: Funny enough, a few hours after I wrote my initial reply below, the part that I've been waiting for finally came in. I didn't even receive any updates via email or the usual UPS notification that the package was on the way. I'm glad this is finally over, now I just have to call my credit card company and cancel the chargeback. What a waste of my time.

Hey G20_shub, thank you very much! I purchased it from a site called Automodz.CA, they're located in Alberta, Canada. As much as I love the parts I got (the splitter also came from them), I honestly cannot recommend their company. Their business etiquette is pretty abysmal IMO. Long story short, after nearly two months of placing my order, I still did not receive all the parts I ordered (got 3 out of 4). Getting in touch with them was like pulling teeth, communication is extremely sparce, sometimes with no follow up for 2-3 days, and when they do follow up, it'll be just empty promises. Only one guy responds to emails, the Whatsapp number on their Facebook page is completely ignored, and so is messaging them over IG. I requested that they cancel and refund the last piece that still has shipped out yet (for whatever God damn reason now) back on Friday morning, and they've still yet to respond back to it. So I'll have to go to my credit card company to request a partial chargeback.

So yeah, great parts, shitty quality check/assurance (long story on this part), and abysmal customer service. I really wanted to support their small company but man the burn they gave me is beyond redeemable. If you still want to test your luck with them, please proceed with caution. You might have better luck than I do.
Thank you for the honest review , I doubt I'm gonna go with them due to the hassle you went thru. Not worth it like you said. Thanks again tho!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #123
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

A general question, do the grills have the same clips on all cars or are they different for car modification, because in some websites I see grills which say "for m340i only", is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 11:55 PM   #124
Sneakz3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2021,328xi 2015,745i 90'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
I think I answered my own questions

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...Lw_wcB#fitment
Thanks, I did the same thing today when changing mine. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #125
eagerbimmer
Rep
Drives: Leyland Cars Mini 1000 Mark IV

my bad if this has been discussed but i struggled to pop the tabs in step 3. i saw a few youtube videos and they seem to come off rather easily but mine seem to have it stuck real good. i removed all the push pins, the shroud and the weather stripping and the t30 torx screw.

i could pop 1 of the top tab but it will pop right back in. i am afraid to use more force since it looks to be connected to the electronic grill shutters. what am i doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 06:28 AM   #126
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
eagerbimmer ,

I changed standard Cerium gray grill on my 2020 M340 to on that has gloss black surround with brushed chrome "chiclets."

As for your questions, the grill is merely cosmetic & sits in front of the active grill. Second, I had a challenge in step 3 in lining up the tabs on the side & got some one to assist. With the extra set of hands, lined up tabs & popped them in.

Hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 09:24 AM   #127
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerbimmer View Post
my bad if this has been discussed but i struggled to pop the tabs in step 3. i saw a few youtube videos and they seem to come off rather easily but mine seem to have it stuck real good. i removed all the push pins, the shroud and the weather stripping and the t30 torx screw.

i could pop 1 of the top tab but it will pop right back in. i am afraid to use more force since it looks to be connected to the electronic grill shutters. what am i doing wrong?
Haha. Rarely is anything as easy as in videos. At least, that has been my experience. I remember I had a hard time popping off some of the tabs too. Same issue. Pop one and move to the next and the one I popped off goes back in. I got frustrated and yanked it out using a lot of force. I lost a little paint on the bumper (should've masked it up first) but that is covered by the replacement grill.

Like RSnic said, it'll be easier if you have an extra pair of hands to help you out.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 05:35 PM   #128
JoeyEsposito203
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue G20

My push pins won’t come out. Any suggestions? I get the middle part up but it won’t remove
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 04:57 PM   #129
Jamers2021
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xDrive

I have the illuminated kidney grill on my 330i. Wanting to switch to Shadowline Black. Do I need a special grill or is it the same part?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 04:12 PM   #130
golfguy868
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

kidney grill camera hole for park assist

Just wanted to jump in here real quick if anyone had just received a replacement kidney grill but the center camera hole on the new grill is not covered up. I got my my new black kidney kidney grill (OEM) but it arrived with the park assist camera opening and I do not have park assist. Easy fix, take off the old grill and the dummy camera cover simply unclips from the back. Take that off, put in the back of the new kidney grill, and you're DONE!
I don't want anyone thinking they need to return or try to figure out how to cover the camera opening.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:05 PM   #131
Inact
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfguy868 View Post
Just wanted to jump in here real quick if anyone had just received a replacement kidney grill but the center camera hole on the new grill is not covered up. I got my my new black kidney kidney grill (OEM) but it arrived with the park assist camera opening and I do not have park assist. Easy fix, take off the old grill and the dummy camera cover simply unclips from the back. Take that off, put in the back of the new kidney grill, and you're DONE!
I don't want anyone thinking they need to return or try to figure out how to cover the camera opening.
I have the same problem but my grill doesn’t have the camera cap it’s just all covered as one piece is that what you meant? I have a 2024 M340i
Appreciate 0