Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Technical documentation of 2018 vehicle electronics (aka iDrive 7 aka Live Dash)

02-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #23
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
The attached files describe pretty much all UX and non-drivetrain computing in BMW models introduced or updated after mid-2018.URL][/B]
Thank you. Makes one appreciate the amount of work and planning that went into redesign. So after July 2019 all bmw will have that?

Also, any chanse you have powertrain and chassis document for m340. Especially would like to know the cooling package details. From 850 document it looks like that package adds an upstream radiator at front lip si,ilar to m3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #24
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Thank you. Makes one appreciate the amount of work and planning that went into redesign. So after July 2019 all bmw will have that?
Not all, some of the older platforms are likely incompatible. But definitely all Gxx models.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #25
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Hey guys how do we portray an abstract concept like artificial intelligence?

"Rip something off of WALL-E."

"Perfect! Make sure it takes up half the page for emphasis, and don't forget to left-align it and add a caption. Tech Com always gets on our case about that."

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 02-24-2019 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
RPM1123280.00
      06-21-2019, 12:44 AM   #26
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Any G20 specific technical documents (incl chassis)?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #27
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

What a horrible design. Do they really expect us be looking at instrument cluster while driving? It is supposed to be a glance only as you watch the road. I bet this live cockpit will change very soon as there is not much to it at all.

My main dislike is with sport mode view. All they do is add some red. Really? How about making it really engaging with large cool looking tachometer and Speedo (maybe digital in the middle of the tachometer). All other info temp, fuel, etc gauges around it. So easy to do on a computer screen, why not do it? Silly bean counters...
      08-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #28
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Thanks...

- no more separate ASD module, ASD integrated into the RAM High module and only available with Top HiFi systems (HK and B&O)
- no more MOST in the HK(688) system, full analog now
- dual amplifier setup for Top HiFi systems (HK and B&O) - RAM + Booster
- BMW Apps gone - no more integrated apps in iDrive. Apple CarPlay now becomes a must have option to listen to native Spotify
- Alexa is in
This document is awesome but also possibly outdated. I know for sure I read in recent threads there are dedicated 3rd party apps such as Spotify.
      08-04-2020, 05:23 AM   #29
Schofres
Rep
Drives: 530e MY2020 (waiting delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
SSD oddly enough would not be a good choice. The problem with ever smaller cells in today's ssds makes them more likely to "forget" the data written over time. An SSD is most reliable if left on all the time as the controller can periodically refresh the flash memory.
If you think your bimmer already drains batteries too fast when not driven...
Hard drives also will lose information but it happens much slower...

High heat like what's found in a car would accelerate this memory loss. My interior get's up to 140F in the summer easy as I live in a desert.

Now that we've moved to TLC and now even QLC flash memory means the chance of corruption over time is even higher.
I have not experienced corrupt data on SSD's in the same frequency as on HDD's, if at all. Further, controllers on SSD's tend to handle that very well, also for SSD's that's been shut down for days, or in extremely hot computers. I don't think this is the issue, I think it's just BMW being cheap. The iDrive 7 on both 3- and 2020 5-series is HORRIBLY slow. I assume a lot loads into RAM at boot, as it's during boot that things just takes forever to load, especially navi and spotify, or when accessing not commonly used resources. During boot, if it's quite, you can hear the HDD work hard... it's 2020 and using an HDD, it's embarrassing...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #30
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
The attached files describe pretty much all UX and non-drivetrain computing in BMW models introduced or updated after mid-2018.
Is there any version of this for Operating System 8/SP21 you're able to share?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:59 PM   #31
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Is there any version of this for Operating System 8/SP21 you're able to share?
No. That stuff is no longer distributed in downloadable files.
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6232.50