Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Driving Modes and Regen Battery Charge

10-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #1
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2019

Driving Modes and Regen Battery Charge

Apologies if this has been covered before, I did search, honest.

I’ve driven my 330e now for the past 5 days, trying all the different driving options and how to get the best out of my battery range.

Apart from the obvious “Battery Control” option where you can physically see your battery range increase when off the throttle and braking, does any other of the Hybrid driver options throw charge back into the battery as I’ve not seen anything go back in while driving although the needle (digital needle that is) does drop into the charge section on the dash.

On the long runs and where I know I’ll be off the throttle and coasting (down hill etc) I quickly put it into “Battery Control” which does work as long as I remember to put it back in Hybrid so I can increase the battery range that way.

So if anyone can shed some light on the above or give guidance on how you guys increase you range without stopping and charging it’ll be much appreciated.

Also, the 3 pin plug in charge cable that comes with the car can take up to 16 amp (according to the manual) and currently like others I have mine set at 10amp, has anyone updated their fuse to the 16 amps?, as my electrician seems to think it’s an easy/cheap procedure to do which in theory should speed up the charge time again from the current 10 amp.

I think that’s enough for the time being and thanks in advance guys

Drive safe

Andy
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (g20)

absolutely all modes charge battery when you lift foot from pedal and rolling or braking.

battery control is actually the mode, where your engine is used to charge battery while driving, hence more fuel is used.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzie’s BM View Post
Apologies if this has been covered before, I did search, honest.

I’ve driven my 330e now for the past 5 days, trying all the different driving options and how to get the best out of my battery range.

Apart from the obvious “Battery Control” option where you can physically see your battery range increase when off the throttle and braking, does any other of the Hybrid driver options throw charge back into the battery as I’ve not seen anything go back in while driving although the needle (digital needle that is) does drop into the charge section on the dash.

On the long runs and where I know I’ll be off the throttle and coasting (down hill etc) I quickly put it into “Battery Control” which does work as long as I remember to put it back in Hybrid so I can increase the battery range that way.

So if anyone can shed some light on the above or give guidance on how you guys increase you range without stopping and charging it’ll be much appreciated.

Also, the 3 pin plug in charge cable that comes with the car can take up to 16 amp (according to the manual) and currently like others I have mine set at 10amp, has anyone updated their fuse to the 16 amps?, as my electrician seems to think it’s an easy/cheap procedure to do which in theory should speed up the charge time again from the current 10 amp.

I think that’s enough for the time being and thanks in advance guys

Drive safe

Andy
regarding fuse - it's not only that. you have to take the wiring into account as well. there is a reason why you have 10 amp and not 20 amp fuse

to be fair, the best way, probably, is to go for the proper wall cahrger to be installed using OLVE grant of 500 gbp - this would end up costing you 280 or so, but totally worth it I would say
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
regarding fuse - it's not only that. you have to take the wiring into account as well. there is a reason why you have 10 amp and not 20 amp fuse

to be fair, the best way, probably, is to go for the proper wall cahrger to be installed using OLVE grant of 500 gbp - this would end up costing you 280 or so, but totally worth it I would say
Thanks for this.

Any recommendations for wall chargers?, any preferred ones out there? (One’s to avoid?)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
absolutely all modes charge battery when you lift foot from pedal and rolling or braking.

battery control is actually the mode, where your engine is used to charge battery while driving, hence more fuel is used.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Battery Control charges as you drive is probably the reason you see the battery increase but in all other modes I try and drive as light as possible but I’ve never seen the battery range increase.

I’ll keep trying or find a bloody big hill.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this.

Any recommendations for wall chargers?, any preferred ones out there? (One’s to avoid?)
I actully had some discussions with https://pod-point.com but never ended up buying it. YET.
I would opt for

3.6kW - Charges a BMW 330e in under 3 hours
Ł779.00 full price
Ł279.00 with OLEV grant
Price includes VAT and standard installation

probably best option - to take wall charger, without cable - as cables have limited lifetime as internet learns...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnzieÂ’s BM View Post
Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Battery Control charges as you drive is probably the reason you see the battery increase but in all other modes I try and drive as light as possible but I’ve never seen the battery range increase.

I’ll keep trying or find a bloody big hill.
I've seen it go back up a few times in Eco Pro but only ever by a 1 mile increase, either down a big hill or slowing from high speed over a long distance with very gentle braking.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for this.

I actully had some discussions with https://pod-point.com but never ended up buying it. YET.
I would opt for

3.6kW - Charges a BMW 330e in under 3 hours
£779.00 full price
£279.00 with OLEV grant
Price includes VAT and standard installation

probably best option - to take wall charger, without cable - as cables have limited lifetime as internet learns...
I went with a 7KW socket unit from ChargeMaster, was about £450 inc. grant. Customer and installation experience was great and unit works fine. Their mobile app is a bit naff though and has various usability issues that shouldn't be hard to fix. I don't use it and just set the car to charge off peak via the Connected Drive app. We've got an EV tariff so between 12.30 and 4.30am it's 1/3rd standard rate (only costs about 50p to fully charge).

Need to allow for a cable. I went for 10m 32A "premium" cable which cost about £200.

You can get away with a lower power unit as the 330e can't take more than 3.6kw (takes about 3.5 hours vs. 5.5 on 3-pin) but figured a 7KW unit was more future proof for as/when we replace my wife's 2013 Golf.

I would worry about drawing a 16A load from a standard mains ring, that's a big load. You'd only need a few other things on the same circuit drawing a bit of power to blow the main circuit breaker (assuming you have one). I'm not an expert but surprised an electrician recommended it. Sounds like a major fire risk...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
JohnBarny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d + G21 330i

Your mains ring should be rated to 32A anyway put pulling 16A through a 3 pin plug for a extended time is a massive fire risk
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:54 PM   #10
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBarny View Post
Your mains ring should be rated to 32A anyway put pulling 16A through a 3 pin plug for a extended time is a massive fire risk
Indeed. Also depends on how your house is wired. We've got a relative new build (8 yrs old) and have about 7-8 different rings (oven, lights upstairs, lights downstairs, wall sockets upstairs, smoke detectors, the new EV charger etc) and a 100A master fuse (I think) but if you've only got a couple they'll be carrying the rest of your electricity usage. A kettle and a microwave can easily use 3.5kw + with the EV charger you'll be bouncing off your 32A limit/melting wiring/burning down the house, as David Byrne once said...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #11
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the comments guys.

After reading, I’ve opted to stick with the 10amp charger cable as is and now looking for a home charge pod.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
Gsmithdsl
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e MSport

I went with a ChargedEV unit, they occasionally have offers on, I paid Ł149 fully installed (and the engineer did a fab job), I can configure it to take advantage of my cheap rate (5p/KWH from Octopus Energy between 12:30 and 4:30am), so really cheap to charge overnight. It's probably overkill, could use provided charger and a timeswitch but thought the offer was too good to miss and a bit of future proofing.

As for the regen charging, I have seen charge going back into the battery on "Electric" and "Hybrid" modes when i lift off the accelerator but not on "Hybrid Eco Pro" which seems messed up to me, but i'm sure there's a good reason. All three modes push power back to the battery when i brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #13
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

Hybrid Eco Pro is super cool mode - you need satnav operating with the route to the destination. it will take it into account and will use all the roundabouts etc and will adjust your speed and other stuff.

I was genuinely astonished by all that driver assistant operation in Hybrid Eco Pro
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:54 AM   #14
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hybrid Eco Pro is super cool mode - you need satnav operating with the route to the destination. it will take it into account and will use all the roundabouts etc and will adjust your speed and other stuff.

I was genuinely astonished by all that driver assistant operation in Hybrid Eco Pro
There is an option in iDrive to enable assisted driving (or something like that!?) It pops up with little symbols on the dash to indicate when you should coast (approaching roundabouts, junctions, downward hills etc) You get a little tick when you've done it :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #15
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Had a little toot of the “Sport Xtra Boost” function today, yes your MPG’s take a hit but it regenerates the battery pretty quick.

All false economy of course as you use up initially what you get back in to the battery but it’s great if you want to put a few miles back in to your battery before you get to a town etc.

In the 4 miles regenerated back in to the battery my mpg’s dropped from 65 mpg’s to 57 but it was fun in doing so.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #16
Bumble
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series. Aiudi Q3

The trouble with wall chargers is that they are not serviceable . If it goes A over T they will fit a replacement if it is within the guarantee period if not its another Ł450 , and thats assuming you can get another grant (Not Given) Her in the house next door is now on her 3rd in 6 years When the engineer took her last one apart (Chargemaster) the umbilical cord was in a right old mess all the cable strands twisted and one a complete break.
Appreciate 0