Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Weird water issues around M340i side mirrors

11-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
boxerbuzzz
Rep
Drives: BMW

Weird water issues around M340i side mirrors

Has anyone noticed that water seems to circulate / collect on the side mirrors and in the corner between the mirrors and window? It seems to dissipate the longer I drive, but for the first few minutes the water just swirls around this area and on the mirror making it hard to see. It's like is smears instead of beads off... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerbuzzz View Post
Has anyone noticed that water seems to circulate / collect on the side mirrors and in the corner between the mirrors and window? It seems to dissipate the longer I drive, but for the first few minutes the water just swirls around this area and on the mirror making it hard to see. It's like is smears instead of beads off... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
How's this? I've had too many problems with this car already and I'm growing frustrated.

1. Rattling rear deck ( 3 times for service)
2. Rattling passenger side door panel ( 3 times for service)
3. Rattling front deck at 3000/rpm (twice for service)
4. Error message fault rear axel ( appeared once. Haven't seen it since. Reported to service advisor)
5. Water leakage around driver side mirror (presently in service)

Other driving related incidents :

1. Flat tire
2. Rock damage windshield
3. Rock damage hood
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Must of been a lazy worker assembling your car that day, only problem most people have is the rear deck rattling and I think it has to do with the new design there is a plastic vent that rattled against the rear window just put some foam, felt tape between it and the window
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmzorba09 View Post
Quote:
How's this? I've had too many problems with this car already and I'm growing frustrated.

4. Error message fault rear axel ( appeared once. Haven't seen it since. Reported to service advisor)

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
Damn sorry to hear. What is that gap between the speaker and door panel? Doesn't look normal. Has panel been removed?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Quote:

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
Damn sorry to hear. What is that gap between the speaker and door panel? Doesn't look normal. Has panel been removed?
Could have been while the dealer service Dept was trying to isolate the rattling noise
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:41 AM   #6
jeremycanada
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BWM M340i

look at my M340i,can't control windows, turns out there is no power to the main window switch after car wash. So disappointed...
Attached Images

2018 Audi S5-
2020 Bmw M340i
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:08 AM   #7
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

That leakage, I haven't seen. And have driven a lot in the rain and also high speed.

But the strange behavior around the mirrors got my attention too. Especially because wiper fluid tracks across the whole car this way...
      11-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
Could have been while the dealer service Dept was trying to isolate the rattling noise
I'd probably make sure to add that to the list for them to do, fix that gap... shouldn't be like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
I'd probably make sure to add that to the list for them to do, fix that gap... shouldn't be like that.
The poor quality of repairs and lack of attention to detail at this particular BMW service department is indicative of my entire experience at this auto nation dealership in North Houston.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
The poor quality of repairs and lack of attention to detail at this particular BMW service department is indicative of my entire experience at this auto nation dealership in North Houston.
Is there any other dealerships around you for you to try ?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
Is there any other dealerships around you for you to try ?
Closest is 45 minutes away. If I continue to have problems I'll try them out.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #12
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

The buzzing somewhere in the dash is disappointing. Both when accelerating in sport mode and with certain frequencies with the audio. 😕
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #13
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Mike View Post
The buzzing somewhere in the dash is disappointing. Both when accelerating in sport mode and with certain frequencies with the audio. 😕
Yes. It was. I did have it repaired though. I was told it comes from the speaker on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #14
deoxys
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

Quote:
Quote:

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
Did those services fix the rattling problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #15
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Quote:
Quote:

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
Yes. After several attempts and visits. While the front and rear deck rattling was that way when I drive the car off the lot. The door rattling was caused by the service tech breaking the clips on the door and another from not properly placing and locking the door back in position. Like I said... sloppy work/service.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #16
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
Yes. After several attempts and visits. While the front and rear deck rattling was that way when I drive the car off the lot. The door rattling was caused by the service tech breaking the clips on the door and another from not properly placing and locking the door back in position. Like I said... sloppy work/service.
The people who tinted my car broke a clip when removing the door panel. Luckily BMW fixed it for me when I asked them why it's rattling. They said it was a broken clip and they replaced it. Surprised BMW would break a clip on your car and not fix it before returning the car to you. Maybe they just didn't notice?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #17
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Flat tire
3. Rock damage hood
The people who tinted my car broke a clip when removing the door panel. Luckily BMW fixed it for me when I asked them why it's rattling. They said it was a broken clip and they replaced it. Surprised BMW would break a clip on your car and not fix it before returning the car to you. Maybe they just didn't notice?
It's possible they didn't notice but knowing the dealership and everything I've experienced with this particular dealership thus far I wouldn't be at all surprised if they noticed and just didn't bother repairing it. Can only speculate.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #18
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
It's possible they didn't notice but knowing the dealership and everything I've experienced with this particular dealership thus far I wouldn't be at all surprised if they noticed and just didn't bother repairing it. Can only speculate.
Same thing happens with Lexus in my multiple experiences (at two highly reputable dealerships). And all other brands for that matter. You get something replaced or fixed under warranty and they break something else that requires a secondary repair... or you’re left with a new rattle because the reassembled panels/parts are no longer factory spec perfect.

The main takeaway for all people to understand is:
1. High volume/High turnover dealerships and tint installers will not take their time and give your car the TLC you think it deserves. Your car is only factory assembled to perfect spec once, and every repair that requires reassembly takes it further from that spec.... especially rush jobs from high volume dealerships!

2. Consider investing in the basic tools required to fix your own minor problems so you can take all the time you need and do proper research. For example, I fixed the front speaker rattle and rear trunk trim rattle on my own with minimal time and expense and those have been my only issues.

3. If you are out of warranty or just want the job done right, find an independent certified mechanic with good reviews. They do everything they can to avoid bad reviews which means doing the job right the first time.

4. Avoid being the stereotypical “my car is a lemon, everything is wrong” type of person. I’ve seen several posts on this forum where people don’t understand the inherent functionality of the car and baselessly complain to their dealer. You keep taking it to the dealership for phantom issues and they’ll keep messing with your car... finding nothing wrong but breaking other things in the process. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy.
Appreciate 1
TTG931.50
      11-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Quote:
Same thing happens with Lexus in my multiple experiences (at two highly reputable dealerships). And all other brands for that matter. You get something replaced or fixed under warranty and they break something else that requires a secondary repair... or you're left with a new rattle because the reassembled panels/parts are no longer factory spec perfect.

The main takeaway for all people to understand is:
1. High volume/High turnover dealerships and tint installers will not take their time and give your car the TLC you think it deserves. Your car is only factory assembled to perfect spec once, and every repair that requires reassembly takes it further from that spec.... especially rush jobs from high volume dealerships!

2. Consider investing in the basic tools required to fix your own minor problems so you can take all the time you need and do proper research. For example, I fixed the front speaker rattle and rear trunk trim rattle on my own with minimal time and expense and those have been my only issues.

3. If you are out of warranty or just want the job done right, find an independent certified mechanic with good reviews. They do everything they can to avoid bad reviews which means doing the job right the first time.

4. Avoid being the stereotypical "my car is a lemon, everything is wrong" type of person. I've seen several posts on this forum where people don't understand the inherent functionality of the car and baselessly complain to their dealer. You keep taking it to the dealership for phantom issues and they'll keep messing with your car... finding nothing wrong but breaking other things in the process. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
Good for you maverick. Never claimed vehicle was a lemon and all items mentioned are real problems, not imagined and not phantom. Point number 4 is unsolicited advice- but here's a #5 for ya- Avoid being an unwelcome life coach.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #20
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Good for you maverick. Never claimed vehicle was a lemon and all items mentioned are real problems, not imagined and not phantom. Point number 4 is unsolicited advice- but here's a #5 for ya- Avoid being an unwelcome life coach.
Maverick? Life coach? Haha, no man, it's just plain old fashioned advice for whiny babies like yourself who love to find minor and baseless problems with their cars. So here's #6 for you: If you don't like someone's advice, don't take it! Heck, you even have a flat tire and rock damage on your list of complaints with the car. I can't take you seriously.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #21
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Quote:
Maverick? Life coach? Haha, no man, it's just plain old fashioned advice for whiny babies like yourself who love to find minor and baseless problems with their cars. So here's #6 for you: If you don't like someone's advice, don't take it! Heck, you even have a flat tire and rock damage on your list of complaints with the car. I can't take you seriously.

Again- Didn't solicit advice- you did however voluntarily seek me out to offer it.

Read carefully Keyboard Tough Guy- my flat tire, windshield and rock damage are noted as separate driver related incidents, not as grievances concerning vehicle quality.

This entire platform is utilized largely for the purpose of sharing stories and/or seeking support related to servicing, maintenance, and yes - the consumer experience.

If a little negativity or criticism distresses you - sack up and try not to let it get to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #22
SunsetSleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340Xi

No way it could be as bad as AUDI who is the absolute worst.

I caught the guy who brought my loaner to me smoking in my wifes $75,000 SUV!!!

We got the car back from them several times with more problems than we had when we went in.

One of the times we had a huge ass scratch the entire way down the car. The guy said oh that must have happened when they parked the car...they buffed it out and the scratch came back a week later and a year later I still have the huge scratch the entire way down my car.

A switch on the Windows does not work and they kept giving me excuses saying they tried this and tried that...never fixed in in 6 years until I finally took it to a different dealership who fixed if first try.

I absolutely HATE AUDI!!! NEVER AGAIN!! Now I am Yelling lol!!!
Appreciate 0