Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Turning off Auto Start/Stop?

06-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #67
NetworkGuy149
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Good tip

What did you change? And did you use G20 or G30 in the app?
G20.

I changed the Auto Start/Stop to remember the last state. Now I do not have to keep pressing the button every time.
Appreciate 1
phillyd2216.00
      06-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #68
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

I'm new to bimmercode but do you need to put the G series in diagnostic mode before coding everything?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #69
calllka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I coded Auto Start/Stop to remember the last state, and it works fine. However, I noticed that the light on the button stays on after I lock the car. Is that normal? Anyone else who coded this, does your light stay on too?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #70
Crazy Penguin
Banned
Rep
Drives: Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by calllka View Post
I coded Auto Start/Stop to remember the last state, and it works fine. However, I noticed that the light on the button stays on after I lock the car. Is that normal? Anyone else who coded this, does your light stay on too?
It doesnt. The car is still awake. Come back in 15 mins. (Without your key)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #71
SLF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F80

I have done it to my car. I am in LA and I can help if anyone needs it done too.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #72
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
The G series vehicles are different. My 2017 G30 by default remembers the last setting for ASs. The 2018 and later models do not retain the setting. They made the system more advanced in 2018 to anticipate whether you were at a stop sign or a stop light and if your are planning on turning. It does this based on GPS and other data. I believe 2018+ could be coded to remember the last setting but I'm not sure if bimmercode is capable. A guy on the forms, Almaretto has been coding the G30s to remember ASS among other things
Hopefully bimmercode guys will figure it out. Disabling ASS is a must.
But it should be up to the driver to turn it on/off.

Wait, 1...2...3 champagne bronze 4 cylinder drivers are gonna jump
BummerCode has this in their beta app right now, all you have to do is purchase and request the beta through the support request function in settings.

Cannot guarantee they give it to you but I have it and worked perfectly. So will likely be out soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #73
KrisJ
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
The G series vehicles are different. My 2017 G30 by default remembers the last setting for ASs. The 2018 and later models do not retain the setting. They made the system more advanced in 2018 to anticipate whether you were at a stop sign or a stop light and if your are planning on turning. It does this based on GPS and other data. I believe 2018+ could be coded to remember the last setting but I'm not sure if bimmercode is capable. A guy on the forms, Almaretto has been coding the G30s to remember ASS among other things
Hopefully bimmercode guys will figure it out. Disabling ASS is a must.
But it should be up to the driver to turn it on/off.

Wait, 1...2...3 champagne bronze 4 cylinder drivers are gonna jump
Can anyone explain the seeming fixation with turning ASS off?

Most people seem to think it is 'meant to save fuel but it actually doesnt' or something along those lines, hence wanting to turn it off.

However, ASS stops engines from creating noise and causing emissions, e.g. In cities at red lights etc...

If every car emits a couple grams less CO2 a day, imagine how many tonnes per day could be saved all across the US/globe... Engine start is quick so unless you plan on a drag race at every intersection, I fail to see the need.

I guess most Americans won't care but still.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #74
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJ View Post

Most people seem to think it is 'meant to save fuel but it actually doesnt' or something along those lines, hence wanting to turn it off.

However, ASS stops engines from creating noise and causing emissions, e.g. In cities at red lights etc...

If every car emits a couple grams less CO2 a day, imagine how many tonnes per day could be saved all across the US/globe... Engine start is quick so unless you plan on a drag race at every intersection, I fail to see the need.

I guess most Americans won't care but still.
I personally hate that slight hesitation/stuttering sensation when it comes back on. Especially when I'm trying to make an evasive manoeuvre. Even my wife (who knows nothing or who couldn't care less about cars) hates it in her car as well and has said it can feel dangerous (I guess you get used to it). She turns hers off as part of the start up procedure as well. Thankfully I press sport every time I drive the G20 so it defeats the auto start/stop with it. My Audi you had to turn to Sport and turn it off independent of one another.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #75
Ryanaldo
Ryanaldo
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d xdrive g20

Garage List
Ryanaldo

My 19 plate 320d xdrive’s auto start stop function has only come on 4/5 times since I picked up the car in end November 2019 with 1500 miles on the clock. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:29 AM   #76
Billfromnj05
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

When I use the auto stop feature or forget to turn it off.(I have a 13 328 so it doesn’t remember the last setting) after I release the brake and engine starts back up the car gives such a violent jerk forward. Is that normal? I know in other cars with auto stop it’s not. So was just curious
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #77
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJ View Post

A lot of folks do not appreciate the extra potential wear and tear on engine parts caused by increased stop/start cycles.

While it's true it's not as hard on the car as a cold start, the fact remains that most engine systems are designed for X number of cycles, and ASS increases the number of stop/start cycles by approximately a factor of ten.

Sure, BMW will tell you that it doesn't increase wear and tear on the engine, but it's important to remember that all car manufacturers have a *much* greater profit bias toward putting you into a new car every 3 years than they do selling you a car that lasts forever, so for this to be their default response is not surprising.

I would never deny that it's better for the environment, it's just that actual impact on the environment is less quantifiable than repair bill dollar amounts.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #78
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i PB MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanaldo View Post
My 19 plate 320d xdrive’s auto start stop function has only come on 4/5 times since I picked up the car in end November 2019 with 1500 miles on the clock. Is this normal?
ASS is disabled in sport mode, even with ass coded if you press eco pro it will enable ASS again!

I don't mind ASS enabled in the city during winter, with Auto-H enabled you don't even have to hold the brake when the engine starts up . auto-H will hold the car position!

Just summertime the lack of AC is miserable!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #79
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

One of the first things I did on my '14 F30 was to code the ASS Memory so the car wouldn't turn off & on at stop lights.

So when I got my '20 M340, that was one of the first things I coded. Of course, it's in the DME_BACK2 module, which means that if you're coding with E-Sys, you have to make sure the engine is off before you actually code; of course, using Bimmercode, you just have to be in the Diagnostic mode (three quick pushes on the engine on button with no pedals touched).

Well, I have done it multiple times on my car, using either means of coding and I always get the same result:
  • I press the ASS button (turning it off & engaging the orange light)
  • Drive around
  • Shut the car down & as I walk away Comfort Access locks the car
  • When I return, I can see the ASS orange light on
  • Then, if I open either of the front doors, the ASS light goes off (as well as, ASS)

Like I said, I have tried coding it many times. I have even VO coded the DME_BACK2 module and then FDL coded TCM_MSA_Memory from NichtAktiv to Aktiv -- all to no avail

Appreciate any ideas??

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 05:23 AM   #80
Colwill
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340d

Garage List
2020 G20 M340d  [0.00]
Hi, relatively new to this forum so go gentle with your replies.....

I had a 118d and could turn the ASS on/off with a little button by the Start Stop button.

I've now got a M340d (which I love, ) but there is no ASS on/off button. the ASS turns of the engine at EVERY opportunity, for instance, if I stop at a T junction, engine turns off. The car has the mild hybrid battery to 'help the start/stop which is pretty smooth, but I'd like it not to stop ALL the time, especially just when coming to a junction.

Any ideas on how to turn it off without resorting to some technical wizardry (i.e. coding) which is beyond me?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #81
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colwill View Post
Hi, relatively new to this forum so go gentle with your replies.....

I had a 118d and could turn the ASS on/off with a little button by the Start Stop button.

I've now got a M340d (which I love, ) but there is no ASS on/off button. the ASS turns of the engine at EVERY opportunity, for instance, if I stop at a T junction, engine turns off. The car has the mild hybrid battery to 'help the start/stop which is pretty smooth, but I'd like it not to stop ALL the time, especially just when coming to a junction.

Any ideas on how to turn it off without resorting to some technical wizardry (i.e. coding) which is beyond me?
As far as i know the only way of doing this is via coding... tbh using bimmercode is very easy to use and i was like you but i find it very useful for turn features on and off
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #82
fakca38
Turkey
Rep
Drives: bmw g20 2020 3.20

g20 big ass problem!

I own the 2020 g20 I bought obdlink mx + and bimmercode

I did a few coding but. Doesn't read auto start stop function bimmercode app

I forwarded the problem to the bimmer official and added the logs. Authorized said: Return the encodings to factory settings with bmw software. I said, can't you fix it with a patch. no dme diors can't access bimmercode. Couldn't this be solved otherwise?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:22 AM   #83
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakca38 View Post
I own the 2020 g20 I bought obdlink mx + and bimmercode

I did a few coding but. Doesn't read auto start stop function bimmercode app

I forwarded the problem to the bimmer official and added the logs. Authorized said: Return the encodings to factory settings with bmw software. I said, can't you fix it with a patch. no dme diors can't access bimmercode. Couldn't this be solved otherwise?
In what vehicle state did you try applying?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:41 AM   #84
fakca38
Turkey
Rep
Drives: bmw g20 2020 3.20

I do not fully understand your question, but my car is 2020 model bmw g20 3.20i (1.6 170hp) . I have not tried it in another vehicle. I'm looking for a solution
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #85
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

New 2021 m340 owner here. There is No ASS button! Before I purchase a new ODB connector, I’d like to know if you can turn off ASS with coding or can you only turn on “remember last setting?” Without a ASS button, it would be impossible to remember anything but it on.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #86
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 View Post
New 2021 m340 owner here. There is No ASS button! Before I purchase a new ODB connector, I’d like to know if you can turn off ASS with coding or can you only turn on “remember last setting?” Without a ASS button, it would be impossible to remember anything but it on.

Thanks in advance!
Do you know if on the 2021 model ASS still works in Sport or Sport Individual mode? I technically coded my ASS off on my 2020 model by changing my startup mode to sport individual which is the mode I am in pretty much all the time anyway so maybe that might be an option.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 09:10 PM   #87
dshiromoto
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, 21M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Do you know if on the 2021 model ASS still works in Sport or Sport Individual mode? I technically coded my ASS off on my 2020 model by changing my startup mode to sport individual which is the mode I am in pretty much all the time anyway so maybe that might be an option.
For 2021s, if the car is in Sport or Sport+, the ASS is automatically off. In addition, if max AC is on, then ASS is disabled as well. I coded mine to remember last state with Bimmercode and also made my default mode on startup to Sport Individual. ASS is always off
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 09:29 PM   #88
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAdAppz View Post
For 2021s, if the car is in Sport or Sport+, the ASS is automatically off. In addition, if max AC is on, then ASS is disabled as well. I coded mine to remember last state with Bimmercode and also made my default mode on startup to Sport Individual. ASS is always off
Thank you! Will tune it up next week!
Appreciate 0