Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum How much can I get off on this build

02-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #1
soulja4187
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mustang GT Premium

How much can I get off on this build

Hello guys I'm looking to become a BMW owner. I'm looking to get a 2021 M340i with all of bells and whistles. What I need help with is with the price. The MSRP is $66425 as build

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...c02e49/summary

What should be a reasonable OTD price for this car.

Thank you,

David
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #2
KaptainKloss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 xDrive

National average is 10% off, with better offers on both coasts. Less than 10% off I wouldn't sign any papers.
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
soulja4187
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKloss View Post
National average is 10% off, with better offers on both coasts. Less than 10% off I wouldn't sign any papers.
10% off from MSRP?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
KaptainKloss
Private First Class
Rep

Yea
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
10% off is definitely NOT the national average (and if somehow it is, I'd love to see the data behind that).

That being said, discounts are very much region dependent. Some areas it's easy to get 10% off MSRP, and in others it's nearly impossible. In your case, the 5% off shown is pretty low. So I would definitely aim for higher than that. If this dealership doesn't budge, you should involve multiple dealerships to get the best potential offer.

My suggestion would be to peruse the price quotes thread to see if you can get a sense of what's possible in your market:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1571094

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #6
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulja4187 View Post
Hello guys I'm looking to become a BMW owner. I'm looking to get a 2021 M340i with all of bells and whistles. What I need help with is with the price. The MSRP is $66425 as build

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...c02e49/summary

What should be a reasonable OTD price for this car.

Thank you,

David
Talk to m.b on here...not me (MB) but the other one. He is working a deal right now. Talk to him, he can tell you.
Regards,
MB
      02-03-2021, 07:32 AM   #7
KaptainKloss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
10% off is definitely NOT the national average (and if somehow it is, I'd love to see the data behind that).

That being said, discounts are very much region dependent. Some areas it's easy to get 10% off MSRP, and in others it's nearly impossible. In your case, the 5% off shown is pretty low. So I would definitely aim for higher than that. If this dealership doesn't budge, you should involve multiple dealerships to get the best potential offer.

My suggestion would be to peruse the price quotes thread to see if you can get a sense of what's possible in your market:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1571094
National average is based off of what I'm seeing on the ordering / pricing thread here (which isn't the best population size I know), I don't have any statistical data to back that up, but from what people are posting on average its 10%.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #8
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
National average is based off of what I'm seeing on the ordering / pricing thread here (which isn't the best population size I know), I don't have any statistical data to back that up, but from what people are posting on average its 10%.
Yeah I'm not totally discrediting what you're saying (even though that's maybe how it came off as), and 10% is absolutely a good goal to strive for. And I totally understand where you're coming from as well, since quite a few deals in the pricing thread here show the 10% off. Just suggesting that it's a bit more nuanced than saying "national average is 10%". You really need to research your specific market or risk talking to local dealers unprepared and being shut down (which will likely happen anyway if you talk to enough of them, but at least if you're prepared you'll know what is and isn't possible).

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #9
soulja4187
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM340 View Post
Talk to m.b on here...not me (MB) but the other one. He is working a deal right now. Talk to him, he can tell you.
Regards,
MB
He already contacting me, he's working on getting me in contact with someone.

I'm currently going through a buy back with Ford on a 2020 Mustang GT Premium I bought back in April 2020. For the past 3 weeks my offer letter has been ready but I was trying to see if they can get me into a 2021 Mustang GT Premium but no dealer seems motivated to handle this deal. So I'm just waiting for some good numbers so I can order the M340i and give Ford back their car and then they can cut me my check.
Appreciate 2
50M105.00
MBM3401026.00
      02-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Yeah I'm not totally discrediting what you're saying (even though that's maybe how it came off as), and 10% is absolutely a good goal to strive for. And I totally understand where you're coming from as well, since quite a few deals in the pricing thread here show the 10% off. Just suggesting that it's a bit more nuanced than saying "national average is 10%". You really need to research your specific market or risk talking to local dealers unprepared and being shut down (which will likely happen anyway if you talk to enough of them, but at least if you're prepared you'll know what is and isn't possible).
I think it's a bit of both, in the US those in the know are generally getting 10% sometimes that is with some work, pushing and shopping around dealers. Even though every dealer is making money at 10%, the dead net on a per vehicle basis is around 12% not counting and volume incentives, not every sales person or dealer is willing to flex.

True National average is much less, in shooting in the dark here, maybe 5%. Many consumers think a few % or a few K off is a good deal... or just don't care enough to deal with the hassle and will take first offer.

OP you should definitely target 10% plus any available incentives and be comfortable walking and shopping around if you don't get it on first ask. It can help if you don't have an existing relationship to say you checked online and you know people are getting that. If they want to move the car they will flex
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

10% is the goal not the average. Maybe the average for a forum like this with a small percentage of BMW buyers. Most people are NOT getting that. Best I could do was 7% off and I'm in the Bay Area which has over 10 BMW dealers in a 50 mile radius. Problem is there wasn't much inventory anywhere due to Covid and I had ton order a car specked out like I wanted. It's rare you'll find anything on a dealer lot how you want it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #12
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
10% is the goal not the average. Maybe the average for a forum like this with a small percentage of BMW buyers. Most people are NOT getting that. Best I could do was 7% off and I'm in the Bay Area which has over 10 BMW dealers in a 50 mile radius. Problem is there wasn't much inventory anywhere due to Covid and I had ton order a car specked out like I wanted. It's rare you'll find anything on a dealer lot how you want it.
Yeah a lot of dealers seem to order "all or nothing" builds with very few specced in the mid range. For my M440 I wanted everything except the auto-driving traffic sensor stuff, but I also wanted Tanzanite blue / Cognac and I didn't see a single car that matched that color combo - let alone color combo & option combo - in the entire US.

So....ordered it. No particular rush as I still have 2 other vehicles to get around in if I need to go anywhere, so I didn't have an issue with dealerships I just told them "here's my build code, order it whenever's best for you - if you want to save it in your back pocket as an ace in the hole to hit your target # of cars sold for a given month, that's fine." Got my production date a couple weeks later and it entered assembly today so I'm happy with the timeline.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #13
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:
Yeah a lot of dealers seem to order "all or nothing" builds with very few specced in the mid range. For my M440 I wanted everything except the auto-driving traffic sensor stuff, but I also wanted Tanzanite blue / Cognac and I didn't see a single car that matched that color combo - let alone color combo & option combo - in the entire US.

So....ordered it. No particular rush as I still have 2 other vehicles to get around in if I need to go anywhere, so I didn't have an issue with dealerships I just told them "here's my build code, order it whenever's best for you - if you want to save it in your back pocket as an ace in the hole to hit your target # of cars sold for a given month, that's fine." Got my production date a couple weeks later and it entered assembly today so I'm happy with the timeline.
Yeah waiting sucked but was exciting watching it move up on the build time line but man was that torture.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #14
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Hey I did get 8.5% off mine,but that was a 2020 and way back in August 2019. It was at Fremont BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #15
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Hey I did get 8.5% off mine,but that was a 2020 and way back in August 2019. It was at Fremont BMW
Got a slightly better deal on my M440 @ Steven’s Creek, but SF also matched it. I have contacts at both now if anyone in the Bay Area is looking.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #16
GAPortimao
Rep
Drives: G22

I bought my M440i about 3 weeks ago and saved about 10.6% off the MSRP
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #17
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Got a slightly better deal on my M440 @ Steven’s Creek, but SF also matched it. I have contacts at both now if anyone in the Bay Area is looking.
Also I have not heard anyone getting a descent deal at either San Rafael or Santa Rosa BMW. San Rafael recently was sold to an auto dealer chain company. Service is ok but then again I still have a warranty. I would be interested if there any issues people have had with them
Appreciate 0