Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) What’s this wiring harness and missing clip for?

09-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
7crwolf
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i G20

What’s this wiring harness and missing clip for?

I just found a clip with a gear mechanism on it in the drivers foot well. It looks important, but more than likely I’m guessing it may have just fallen out behind the trim, a gift from some assembly person in Germany?
While looking around, I noticed a hanging wiring harness near the top of my brake pedal. What’s it for? Should it be connected?

Can anyone shed some light on either of these mysteries??? Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive M Sport (G20)

The gear looks like a damper mechanism like you would find on an ash tray cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

The thing in the second and third pic broke off in my car too!
It broke off from near the OBD2 port in my car. The jb4 obd plug sits in extremely tight and its very difficult to remove since it's hard to get a grip on the plug. I have to wiggle it a lot to slide it out. Was doing that one day and this thing broke and fell to the floor. It made the OBD2 port a little loose and makes it wiggle but its so much easier now to remove the plug. Luckily the port works and didn't break and fall out. So I'm happy.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 03:17 AM   #4
7crwolf
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
The thing in the second and third pic broke off in my car too!
It broke off from near the OBD2 port in my car. The jb4 obd plug sits in extremely tight and its very difficult to remove since it's hard to get a grip on the plug. I have to wiggle it a lot to slide it out. Was doing that one day and this thing broke and fell to the floor. It made the OBD2 port a little loose and makes it wiggle but its so much easier now to remove the plug. Luckily the port works and didn't break and fall out. So I'm happy.
Interesting. Fair to say there’s merit to this theory, as I recently did some BimmerCode mods with a cable for the first time ever last week. It was very hard to get the cable seated on the OBD port and connected. I wiggled it a bit getting it on and off.

So, will we miss this thing? I can’t work out where it goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 03:18 AM   #5
7crwolf
Australia
Rep

Does everyone else have this wiring harness just hanging there? I guess it’s safe to just tuck it back behind the trim and forget I ever saw it?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7crwolf View Post
Interesting. Fair to say there’s merit to this theory, as I recently did some BimmerCode mods with a cable for the first time ever last week. It was very hard to get the cable seated on the OBD port and connected. I wiggled it a bit getting it on and off.

So, will we miss this thing? I can’t work out where it goes.
I don't think we'll miss it. Mine broke off a few months back. My port is still fine. Just that it wiggles a bit which actually helps remove the adapter.
Attached Images

2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
7crwolf
Australia
Rep

Interesting. Yep, it's definitely the same one! I wonder what it's for... looks important, but I guess not. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
I just found a clip with a gear mechanism on it in the drivers foot well. It looks important, but more than likely I’m guessing it may have just fallen out behind the trim, a gift from some assembly person in Germany?
While looking around, I noticed a hanging wiring harness near the top of my brake pedal. What’s it for? Should it be connected?

Can anyone shed some light on either of these mysteries??? Cheers
Acquired the car second-hand?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
7crwolf
Australia
Rep

Yes, it was second hand with 700km on it... So, not really second hand, just not technically new.
And no, the clip was not there when I bought it. I noticed the clip on the floor the week AFTER I did my first BimmerCode mods (enabled Adaptive mode at start, enabled Advanced Driving View, and disabled the iDrive warning on start...)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Yes, it was second hand with 700km on it... So, not really second hand, just not technically new.
And no, the clip was not there when I bought it. I noticed the clip on the floor the week AFTER I did my first BimmerCode mods (enabled Adaptive mode at start, enabled Advanced Driving View, and disabled the iDrive warning on start...)
That harness looks like the basic security module extension (connects to an OBD extension) and the broken plastic gear likely off of the storage cubby door. Do know if it's one of the excess NSW Police Unmarked cars that was sold off?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #11
7crwolf
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
That harness looks like the basic security module extension (connects to an OBD extension) and the broken plastic gear likely off of the storage cubby door. Do know if it's one of the excess NSW Police Unmarked cars that was sold off?
Wow, you're correct! I only just realised, the storage door next to the steering wheel used to have a soft touch open/close. It no longer does, it just bangs open and close. So this gear/clip obviously fits in the hinge mechanism to slow that open/close... I miss the slow open/close!

I don't see any obvious place to put it back into, but I'll have a look when I get time. I fear the trim may need some disassembly to get it back in there... bummer.

Thanks for your insight.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #12
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

I doubt it's the storage cubby. I haven't noticed a difference in the way it opened/closed compared to before the tab broke. I still need to support it (no soft close).
Plus I think we managed to break the gear thingy. I don't think it can be clipped back in since it looks like it broke off in mine.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
7crwolf
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I doubt it's the storage cubby. I haven't noticed a difference in the way it opened/closed compared to before the tab broke. I still need to support it (no soft close).
Plus I think we managed to break the gear thingy. I don't think it can be clipped back in since it looks like it broke off in mine.
I pulled the trim back that sits around that OBD port to try to take a look at where this gear thing might fit. I can't see anywhere obvious at all. It's designed to pull down easily with quick release clips, as all of the fuses are behind this. I don't know, I give up.
I can't honestly remember if the little storage holder was ever soft close. I don' t think my clip is broken... It's a mystery where it came from.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #14
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
My cubby was never soft close. One of the areas on the car that I noticed immediately as it felt cheap to open and close.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #15
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I pulled the trim back that sits around that OBD port to try to take a look at where this gear thing might fit. I can't see anywhere obvious at all. It's designed to pull down easily with quick release clips, as all of the fuses are behind this. I don't know, I give up.
I can't honestly remember if the little storage holder was ever soft close. I don' t think my clip is broken... It's a mystery where it came from.
In my car, I know it broke from somewhere around the OBD port. It happened when I was trying to wiggle the OBD plug connecting the JB4 to the car out. I also remember the OBD port in the car suddenly become a bit "loose". I can move the port a little bit. At first, I thought I broke the port when this piece fell off. Luckily that was not the case. The port is still attached as it should be, just that it now wiggles a bit, which helps since I can get my fingers between the port and some other part near it, helping me get a better grip on the OBD plug of the JB4 to wiggle it out. With this piece in place, I couldn't so it this easily and the OBD port didn't move at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
My cubby was never soft close. One of the areas on the car that I noticed immediately as it felt cheap to open and close.
Exactly! Sometimes, it doesn't latch and the door falls open if I don't properly push it back in and make sure it's shut. It was so much better in my A4.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige

Last edited by VipinLJ; 09-13-2020 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #16
sakalum@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw G20 320 d

Post similar situation

hello, sorry for writing here but i couldn't find any thread on my topic.
I have an g20 and bought it with a small accindet on the back side left part and now i have some issues with the electrical wiring as i hev 3 cable without corespondent.
i tried finding any answers for this wires. can anyone help me what for are these cables 61129835606.
thank you.
Appreciate 0