Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

02-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Something else to consider

While we see some of the new EV ranges reported upwards of 300 miles (i4 should get approx 320 mile using EPA standard as the 270 seems a bit low IMO)). These ranges are based on the battery being used to power just the car.

I found the following articles to shed a different perspective on actual ranges if one used their AC or heater in the car, No radio, lights or wipers (these are things that routinely used if your EV is used daily)

For the i4, using just the AC set to 72 degrees (I normally keep mine set lower in Florida due to solar heating when we are out driving), you lose 17% percent of your range (approx 55 miles) not including rain (where light and wipers are used) or some form of audio entertainment while driving.

Heating the car can drain as much a 35%+ based on testing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...fect-ev-range/

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...o-on-a-charge/

After considering the above, EV's make more sense as a commuter car or short trip conveyance. I was hoping to get 300+ miles using an EV as I do my ICE car (AC and radio). Clearly that is not the case based on the testing done.

If I lived in the north and had freezing temps to deal with, I could easily lose double what I would lose in Florida (range-wise). So setting my AC to 68 degrees (as I do) and listening to my thumb drives, the 320 estimated i4 mile range easily drops below 250 miles. Factor in traffic, stop and go, varying speeds and the numbers can even get worse.

A short trip from Naples Fl to Miami (less than 2 hours and 123 miles) and return would likely leave me stranded w/o a recharge along the way.

Tesla Model S long range advertises 402 miles of range ($75K), factoring in losses one may actually get 300 miles of range using AC and a radio).

I think I will wait a while and see how battery tech improves before trading my M240 and committing to an EV as anything other than a second, around town errand car.

Passing this along as some food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Good post. Here is some more info:

https://www.torquenews.com/2250/how-...mple-it-sounds

Steve
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Accident
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330e, i3

The Model 3 didn’t include a heat pump at the time the article was written. The i3 comes with a heat pump and I expect every future BMW EV to come with one. A heat pump is much more efficient than using resistive heat. That being said. Expect to see a range reduction of about 20% in freezing temperatures.

Running the AC in hot climate is not an issue. I usually see about two miles of range lost per every hour of driving in Texas summer

The radio, lights, wipers, and electronic will not even reduce the range a tenth of a mile.
Appreciate 0